Velocity Reviews

-   -   One serial port on card not working (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308483-one-serial-port-on-card-not-working.html)

Ric 11-08-2003 10:48 AM

One serial port on card not working

I have a PCI card with two serial ports on it. One port has suddenly stopped
working. Device manager says "this device is working properly" and Norton
doctor also gives it a clean bill. But I cannot get peripheries attached to
it to work (it's not the peripheries - I've swapped them aorund with no
luck). I've tried cleaning the PCI contacts, reinstalling the driver,
putting the card in a different slot, but nothing helps. Is there anything
else I can try?

Trent© 11-08-2003 03:41 PM

Re: One serial port on card not working

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:48:00 +0100, "Ric" <spam@off.com> wrote:

>I have a PCI card with two serial ports on it. One port has suddenly stopped
>working. Device manager says "this device is working properly" and Norton
>doctor also gives it a clean bill. But I cannot get peripheries attached to
>it to work (it's not the peripheries - I've swapped them aorund with no
>luck). I've tried cleaning the PCI contacts, reinstalling the driver,
>putting the card in a different slot, but nothing helps. Is there anything
>else I can try?

If it WAS working...and you haven't made any changes...it doesn't look
good for the card.

I'm assuming the cards isn't hardware jumpered. If its software
driven, check to see that the port is still turned on. Also, if you
set it to a common configuration, make sure that there's no conflict
with the one in the MB BIOS.

Also, check your settings in the BIOS...for what type of OS you've
designated. Maybe you want to change that setting...at least
temporarily...to see what happens.

It really sounds like the card has gone South, though...unless you
installed some hardware or software recently.

Good luck.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Jerry G. 11-09-2003 07:20 AM

Re: One serial port on card not working

You can check the BIOS set-ups. From your description the system is seeing
the card. The only thing left on the card that the system will not see if
the final I/O device that interfaces the rear I/O connector for it to talk
to the real world. A serial loopback tester and running a serial loopback
test software would be the last thing in line to do the final check of a
serial card.

I would suggest trying a new card, to save a lot of time and aggravation.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com