Velocity Reviews

-   -   How to fit a second Hard Drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308440-how-to-fit-a-second-hard-drive.html)

Alan 11-04-2003 02:24 PM

How to fit a second Hard Drive

How do I connect a second hard drive to my PC? All slots are already used
in the M/Board.

Can I use the IDE leads "middle connector" which is marked "slave" to
connect the new hard drive to and if so, does this mean that I have to place
the second hard drive jumpers to the slave setting also?

If I am totally wrong can someone please advise the correct procedure.
Alan

JIM 11-04-2003 02:59 PM

Re: How to fit a second Hard Drive

"Alan" <a.v.l@btinternetREMOVEME.com> wrote in message
> How do I connect a second hard drive to my PC? All slots are already used
> in the M/Board.
>
> Can I use the IDE leads "middle connector" which is marked "slave" to
> connect the new hard drive to and if so, does this mean that I have to

place
> the second hard drive jumpers to the slave setting also?
>
> If I am totally wrong can someone please advise the correct procedure.

I have also wanted to know how to do this; however, I want to be able to
connect up an old HD (W95-98) and access those old files that were not saved
to some media before my son dismantled the whole rig. Being a complete (if
the mouse clik works I can work) computer illiterate, I'd need at least step
by step cliks;) Currently running windows ME.

Jim

Night_Seer 11-04-2003 03:59 PM

Alan wrote:
> How do I connect a second hard drive to my PC? All slots are already
> used in the M/Board.
>
> Can I use the IDE leads "middle connector" which is marked "slave" to
> connect the new hard drive to and if so, does this mean that I have
> to place the second hard drive jumpers to the slave setting also?
>
> If I am totally wrong can someone please advise the correct procedure.
> Alan

That is exactly what you have to do...don't forget the power connector
too ;) Good luck.

--
Night_Seer

Hank 11-05-2003 03:25 AM

> Alan wrote:
> > How do I connect a second hard drive to my PC? All slots are already
> > used in the M/Board.
> >
> > Can I use the IDE leads "middle connector" which is marked "slave" to
> > connect the new hard drive to and if so, does this mean that I have
> > to place the second hard drive jumpers to the slave setting also?
> >
> > If I am totally wrong can someone please advise the correct procedure.
> > Alan

> That is exactly what you have to do...don't forget the power connector
> too ;) Good luck.
>
> --
> Night_Seer
>
> And also see that the first drive is set as Master. That may seem obvious

but some can be set as Single using no jumper at all, or you could just
simply set both as Cable Select.

Hank

DeMoN LaG 11-05-2003 04:50 AM

Re: How to fit a second Hard Drive

"Alan" <a.v.l@btinternetREMOVEME.com> wrote in

> Can I use the IDE leads "middle connector" which is marked "slave" to
> connect the new hard drive to and if so, does this mean that I have to
> place the second hard drive jumpers to the slave setting also?

Yes, jumper the drive as a slave, attach it to the connector marked slave,
and make sure the first drive is jumpered as "Master"

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)