Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Information (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f41-computer-information.html)
-   -   New Dells (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308431-new-dells.html)

Swizzard 11-03-2003 09:25 PM

New Dells
 
I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.

Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
they want to sell computers?

pullgees

DeMoN LaG 11-03-2003 09:28 PM

Re: New Dells
 
pullgees@yahoo.com (Swizzard) wrote in news:997b6724.0311031325.184fa3f8
@posting.google.com:

> Do
> they want to sell computers?
>


Yes, but their theory seems to be based on "We can sell less computers and
make money if we outsource to cheaper countries and cut back on quality."

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
website: under construction
Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
email/IM for rates/services

Night_Seer 11-03-2003 10:44 PM

Re: New Dells
 
DeMoN LaG wrote:
> pullgees@yahoo.com (Swizzard) wrote in
> news:997b6724.0311031325.184fa3f8 @posting.google.com:
>
>> Do
>> they want to sell computers?
>>

>
> Yes, but their theory seems to be based on "We can sell less
> computers and make money if we outsource to cheaper countries and cut
> back on quality."


I had to deal with Dell call centers, and people I couldn't understand
one bit. I should have never gotten a Dell in the first place, but now
I will really never buy one.

--
Night_Seer



Calvin Crumrine 11-03-2003 11:50 PM

Re: New Dells
 
Swizzard wrote:

> I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
> CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
> is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
>
> Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
> understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
> also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
> they want to sell computers?
>
> pullgees


First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)

Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
floppy drive anyway IMO.)

As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)


JC 11-04-2003 12:23 AM

Re: New Dells
 
I've had a bad experience with Dell customer service and support as well.
That includes phone calls that were a total waste of time and direct email
questions that only received the "form letter" answer and a run around. Now
they won't even respond to my emails. Of course why should they? I'm only
a customer who sent them a great deal of money not too long ago! I regret
ever buying anything from them.


"Swizzard" <pullgees@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:997b6724.0311031325.184fa3f8@posting.google.c om...
> I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
> CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
> is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
>
> Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
> understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
> also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
> they want to sell computers?
>
> pullgees




Plato 11-04-2003 07:07 AM

Re: New Dells
 
Swizzard wrote:
>
> I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
> CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
> is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.


So what. One can buy PCs with no drives at all. You get what you pay
for.




--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Roy@home.net 11-04-2003 07:25 AM

Re: New Dells
 
On 3 Nov 2003 13:25:56 -0800, pullgees@yahoo.com (Swizzard) wrote:

>I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
>CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
>is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.


I don't understand the complaint. It is a menu. You sellect what you
do and do not want. If you want CDRW but no floppy, they don't buy a
floppy. If you want a floppy, buy it.

>Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
>understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
>also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
>they want to sell computers?


I have had excellent service from the support people.

Haven't tried sales, but that's why they have a menu.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Roy@home.net 11-04-2003 09:45 AM

Re: New Dells
 
On 3 Nov 2003 13:25:56 -0800, pullgees@yahoo.com (Swizzard) wrote:

>I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
>CD r/w....


If you are looking at the menu that does not show prices of each
individual option, try locating the link in a box to the right. It
will take you to a menu where prices of each up or downgrade are
shown.

Roy - Carpe Noctem

Swizzard 11-04-2003 01:06 PM

Re: New Dells
 
Calvin Crumrine <noneof@yourbusiness.com> wrote in message news:<vqdqak8rucl517@corp.supernews.com>...
> Swizzard wrote:
>
> > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
> > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
> > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
> >
> > Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
> > understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
> > also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
> > they want to sell computers?
> >
> > pullgees

>
> First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
> floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
> what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
> that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
> most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
> economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
> it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)


Wrong they are sold without floppy drive. Yes of course there are
options, if you ask for them. A first time computer user/buyer might
not relize that.
>
> Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
> mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
> floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
> everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
> 128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
> floppy drive anyway IMO.)


I'm not familiar with a USB keychain drive but if that is a portable
separate drive then that's fine. I'm talking about an exterior disc
so that if something goes wrong you have all your documents saved on
that disc floppy or CD. Do these drives you mention come with all
Dells even bottom of the range?

> As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
> work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
> possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
> communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)


This is sound advice for the call centres. If a customer is having
difficulty hearing because of bad pronouciation or a rough line after
finally getting through, then that call centre is failing resulting in
lost sales and Dell has just lost mine.

pullgees

Calvin Crumrine 11-04-2003 10:49 PM

Re: New Dells
 
Swizzard wrote:
> Calvin Crumrine <noneof@yourbusiness.com> wrote in message news:<vqdqak8rucl517@corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>Swizzard wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
>>>CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
>>>is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
>>>
>>>Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
>>>understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
>>>also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
>>>they want to sell computers?
>>>
>>>pullgees

>>
>>First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
>>floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
>>what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
>>that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
>>most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
>>economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
>>it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)

>
>
> Wrong they are sold without floppy drive. Yes of course there are
> options, if you ask for them. A first time computer user/buyer might
> not relize that.


All that I've seen have had them listed right there on the options
page-not necessary to ask for them, although if you're ordering over the
phone...

I have seen a number sold on eBay, etc. which don't have options &
therefore don't have floppies-but then I've never understood the status
of those sales since Dell claims that they only sell direct. My best
guess is that although these might be 'new in box' Dell would regard
them as used-although if they've never been set up & registered it
probably doesn't matter to them.

>
>>Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
>>mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
>>floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
>>everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
>>128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
>>floppy drive anyway IMO.)

>
>
> I'm not familiar with a USB keychain drive but if that is a portable
> separate drive then that's fine. I'm talking about an exterior disc
> so that if something goes wrong you have all your documents saved on
> that disc floppy or CD. Do these drives you mention come with all
> Dells even bottom of the range?


Yes, portable separate drive (actually, Flash RAM IIRC). Not sure if
most PC's can boot from it-probably depends on the BIOS-but if Dell's
smart (debatable) then they made sure that *their* PC's could boot from
it before they started offering it in place of the floppy drive.

As for all Dells, don't know. If it doesn't have a Customize button then
I don't bother looking at it.
>
>
>>As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
>>work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
>>possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
>>communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)

>
>
> This is sound advice for the call centres. If a customer is having
> difficulty hearing because of bad pronouciation or a rough line after
> finally getting through, then that call centre is failing resulting in
> lost sales and Dell has just lost mine.
>
> pullgees


Definitely good advice for both customers & call centers. Advice was
worded for customers because I was *talking* to a customer. If I'd been
talking to Dell I would have worded the same advice for the call center.



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.