Velocity Reviews

-   -   Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308387-updating-from-win-98-1st-ed-to-win-98se.html)

Cory Lechner 11-01-2003 05:40 PM

Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
to Win 98 SE??

2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?

Cory

Wizard 11-02-2003 12:54 PM

Re: Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

Just rename win.com and install from scratch making sure you install in
the same directory (C:\windows). Clean installs are generally the best
way to go but in this case it doesn't seem to make any difference. I've
done this many times.

Michael-NC 11-02-2003 02:45 PM

Re: Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

There is a Win98SE "Update CD" available.

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-011.htm

That will keep all your programs intact.

Alternatively, delete C:\windows in DOS and do a clean install of 98SE, then
reinstall all your apps.

Are you sure it's worth the effort to do it?

Trent© 11-02-2003 04:21 PM

Re: Updating from Win 98 1st Ed to Win 98SE?

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:40:22 -0600, "Cory Lechner"
<cory.lechner@sasktel.net> wrote:

>1) I am curious - should one do a clean install when updating from Win 98
>to Win 98 SE??
>
>2) if you don't need to do a clean install, how do you do it?
>
>Cory

Just upgrade into the existing Windows directory.

Have a nice week...

Trent