Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is this possible (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308281-is-this-possible.html)

Turner 10-25-2003 07:02 PM

Is this possible

I have cable internet service at my residence and I am using a Linksys
Router to share internet service among two PCs. I have a shop about 2 miles
from my home. Is there any way using a dial up modem that I could dial in
from my shop to my residence and use the cable internet service?

Thanks

RICHARD reason 10-25-2003 08:40 PM

Re: Is this possible

if you run win2003 server at home then set -up a vpn you can

DeMoN_LaG 10-25-2003 10:44 PM

Re: Is this possible

"RICHARD reason" <Rich45r@worldnet.att.net> wrote in news:QcBmb.193400
$0v4.14995403@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> if you run win2003 server at home then set -up a vpn you can

You do not need windows server 2003 to do this.

Turner 10-25-2003 11:57 PM

Re: Is this possible

I'm using XP Pro. How is it done? Do I need additional hardware?

JTJersey 10-26-2003 12:18 AM

Re: Is this possible

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:40:16 +0000, RICHARD reason wrote:

> if you run win2003 server at home then set -up a vpn you can
>

> "Turner" <tkp2n@msn.com> wrote in message
>> I have cable internet service at my residence and I am using a Linksys
>> Router to share internet service among two PCs. I have a shop about 2

> miles
>> from my home. Is there any way using a dial up modem that I could dial in
>> from my shop to my residence and use the cable internet service?
>>
>> Thanks

Be Careful. Comcast states that if it catches you using a VPN service it
will disconnect you. They will gladly allow you to do it for another $49.95
however. Don't know about other companies.

DeMoN LaG 10-26-2003 07:07 AM

Re: Is this possible

"Turner" <tkp2n@msn.com> wrote in news:vpm3f2p84iqscc@corp.supernews.com:

> I'm using XP Pro. How is it done? Do I need additional hardware?

I don't believe XP Pro supports RAS (Remote Access Services). It is,
however, available in Windows 2000 Server and (unless I'm mistaken) Windows
NT 4.0 Server, both of which are cheaper than Windows Server 2003.

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

DH 10-26-2003 10:16 AM

Re: Is this possible

"DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
> "Turner" <tkp2n@msn.com> wrote in news:vpm3f2p84iqscc@corp.supernews.com:
>
> > I'm using XP Pro. How is it done? Do I need additional hardware?
> >

> I don't believe XP Pro supports RAS (Remote Access Services). It is,
> however, available in Windows 2000 Server and (unless I'm mistaken)

Windows
> NT 4.0 Server, both of which are cheaper than Windows Server 2003.
>
> --
> AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
> email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
> website: under construction
> email/IM for rates/services

Windows XP does support VPN. Go to Control Panel/Network Connections/make a
new connection/Se up an advanced connection/Accept incoming connection......

Dave H.

Andrew Watiker 10-26-2003 02:02 PM

Re: Is this possible

If they want $44.95 for that I would say go for a cheap dial-up ISP.

--
Andrew Watiker

Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
or
http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

"All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
- John Lennon

Peace & Love.
"JTJersey" <JT3@AnotherLinuxMachine.com> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.10.26.00.18.02.841060@AnotherLinuxMa chine.com...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:40:16 +0000, RICHARD reason wrote:
>
> > if you run win2003 server at home then set -up a vpn you can
> >

> > "Turner" <tkp2n@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> I have cable internet service at my residence and I am using a Linksys
> >> Router to share internet service among two PCs. I have a shop about 2

> > miles
> >> from my home. Is there any way using a dial up modem that I could dial

in
> >> from my shop to my residence and use the cable internet service?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> Be Careful. Comcast states that if it catches you using a VPN service it
> will disconnect you. They will gladly allow you to do it for another

$49.95
> however. Don't know about other companies.

---