Velocity Reviews

-   -   WILDTANGENT (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308280-wildtangent.html)

Cammie 10-25-2003 06:47 PM

WILDTANGENT

I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my consent,
and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer. I
never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

Robert Baer 10-26-2003 09:00 AM

Re: WILDTANGENT

Cammie wrote:

> I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my consent,
> and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer. I
> never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
> names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
> is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

Well, do not allow call-in connections!
Firstly, use an exernal modem and make sure the software does not
program it to answer.
Secondly, use the BIOS to disable "wake-on LAN" and related
foolishness.
If you are paranoid or anal-retentive, then password your system at
the BIOS level and all other possible places, using mixed case *random*
characters and digits of 6 or more total length.

Uninstalling only removes *some* of the crap.
Use search and look for various names related to that program; use
RegEdit and do likewise.

Andrew Watiker 10-26-2003 02:04 PM

Re: WILDTANGENT

I know HP puts this software on their systems before shipping, Dell may too
I'm not sure. What brand is your computer?

--
Andrew Watiker

Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
or
http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

"All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
- John Lennon

Peace & Love.
"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Cammie wrote:
> >
> > I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my

consent,
> > and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer.

> > never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a

folder
> > names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the

heck
> > is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

> Well, do not allow call-in connections!
> Firstly, use an exernal modem and make sure the software does not
> program it to answer.
> Secondly, use the BIOS to disable "wake-on LAN" and related
> foolishness.
> If you are paranoid or anal-retentive, then password your system at
> the BIOS level and all other possible places, using mixed case *random*
> characters and digits of 6 or more total length.
>
> Uninstalling only removes *some* of the crap.
> Use search and look for various names related to that program; use
> RegEdit and do likewise.

---

Cammie 10-26-2003 06:59 PM

Re: WILDTANGENT

"Andrew Watiker" <DmctNY8@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:7wQmb.5808$I7.1538391@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net ...
> I know HP puts this software on their systems before shipping, Dell may

too
> I'm not sure. What brand is your computer?

It's Dell but I've had it 3 years and it just appeared, I read somewhere I
just happened upon a site, possible the one I visited for new AOL buddy
icons and it loaded it on my puter without my knowledge.

Jeremy 10-26-2003 11:46 PM

Re: WILDTANGENT

A lot of free icon sites come with spyware, it is a harvesting
technique. Install ad-aware, a trojan remover and at least a firewall
like zone alarm, all can be had for free.

JJ

Cammie 10-27-2003 02:12 AM

Re: WILDTANGENT

"Jeremy" <jeremy@dcnet2000.com> wrote in message
> A lot of free icon sites come with spyware, it is a harvesting
> technique. Install ad-aware, a trojan remover and at least a firewall
> like zone alarm, all can be had for free.

I had zone alarm and liked it, but I couldn't get it to work along with my
Callwave answering machine, it blocked my calls.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. 10-30-2003 01:16 AM

Re: WILDTANGENT

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:47:41 GMT, "Cammie" <phurrballs@yahoospam.com>
wrote:

>I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my consent,
>and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer. I
>never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
>names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
>is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

Never heard of WILDTANGENT, but you may have a problem with spyware
which is spying software installed sometimes without your knowledge or
consent by websites. I recommend a good spyware eliminator program
like "Spybot-Search and Destroy" which is donation ware as well as
being very good at what it does.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com