Velocity Reviews

-   -   gateway laptop? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308223-gateway-laptop.html)

Dahlirious 10-22-2003 05:01 AM

gateway laptop?

Hi:

I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and it
seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot access
the internet.

I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know that
the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I am
not connected.

I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
that I don't have.

Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and why
my touchpad isn't working???

Thanks for the help.
Timothy

DeMoN LaG 10-22-2003 05:54 AM

Re: gateway laptop?

"Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in

> I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know
> that the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv"
> hook-ups showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open
> my browser I am not connected.

Open a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type:
ipconfig

You should see something similar to this:
Z:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : my.house

Your IP address, subnet mask, DNS suffix, and default gateway will more
than likely be different. Can you ping a website? Have you made sure
that IE is set to use a LAN connection and not a modem?

> Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection
> and why my touchpad isn't working???

Does Device Manager see the thing but not have drivers for it, or is it
not listed at all?

--
AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

caveat lector - reader beware 10-22-2003 02:17 PM

Re: gateway laptop?

>From: "Dahlirious" khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com
>Newsgroups: alt.computer

>Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:01:12 GMT

>Hi:
>
>I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
>installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and it
>seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot access
>the internet.
>
>I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know that
>the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
>showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I am
>not connected.
>
>I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
>that I don't have.
>
>Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and why
>my touchpad isn't working???
>
>Thanks for the help.
>Timothy

I understand the touchpad is not working. Are you using a USB mouse as a
workaround?

try this:
Gateway Solo 2500 Touchpad Driver 2.3a (6/98)
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2110-890928.html

:)

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
- -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
--
Necessity is the Mother of invention.

I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Constantine 10-22-2003 03:24 PM

Re: gateway laptop?

"Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
> installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and

it
> seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot

access
> the internet.
>
> I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know

that
> the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
> showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I

am
> not connected.
>
> I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
> that I don't have.
>
> Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and

why
> my touchpad isn't working???
>
> Thanks for the help.
> Timothy

Try Gateway's website. I think that they have drivers for Windows 2000. I
had similar problems with a 9300 model. They also work with Windows XP.

Friendly, Kostas.

Dahlirious 10-24-2003 04:33 AM

Re: gateway laptop?

"Constantine" <Konstantinos.Kyritsis@durham.ac.uk> wrote in message

> "Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
> > installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and

> it
> > seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot

> access
> > the internet.
> >
> > I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know

> that
> > the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
> > showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser

> am
> > not connected.
> >
> > I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
> > that I don't have.
> >
> > Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and

> why
> > my touchpad isn't working???
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> > Timothy
> >

> Try Gateway's website. I think that they have drivers for Windows 2000. I
> had similar problems with a 9300 model. They also work with Windows XP.
>
> Friendly, Kostas.

Thanks for all the great help