Velocity Reviews

-   -   Fried a Power Supply (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308153-fried-a-power-supply.html)

Mark 10-16-2003 10:40 PM

Fried a Power Supply

Anyone ever have this happen?

I hooked up a system of a co-worker's to check over a few windows errors.
Turning on the system gave me quite an impressive display of fireworks from
the power supply. Opening up the PSU confirmed my suspisions, it was fried.
I was also greeted by an army of dust bunnies inside the case ans PSU.

Now I sure feel the part of the fool since I now have to notify the next of
kin....

Anyone have this happen an if so was there any collateral damage to the
other components?

Thor 10-17-2003 01:47 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

I'm sure this has happened to just about every tech with a decent amount of
time in the business. It's happened to me a couple of times at least. You
just explain it to the customer, and give them their repair options. It's
not your fault. As for collateral damage, it just depends on the nature of
the failure. Sometimes there is, and sometimes there isn't.

Firebird81 10-17-2003 02:59 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

Oh yes, it's happened to me too. The sparks don't bother me. Its the smoke
that's scary! Especially if the client is sitting right there when it
happens!

Mark 10-17-2003 10:29 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

Talk about a freak accident. Funny how this never happens to my equipment
:)
The PSU was just some generic brand that came with the case.

Thanks for the input guys.
news:mWIjb.1576$FG5.644@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com ...

Larry Smith 10-17-2003 04:36 PM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

> I'm sure this has happened to just about every tech with a decent amount
of
> time in the business.

I program for a living (20+ years) and have never seen this happen once (nor
heard about it). Of course if you repair or build computers for a living it
comes as no surprise. In fact, I've noticed how much cheaper the equipment
has become in recent years (quality, not price).

Mark 10-17-2003 05:03 PM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

Actually I found out what went wrong. A large resistor had been leaking
fluid inside the PSU. Likely due to cheap parts by the manufacturer.

I'll let you guys know what the end result was after I install a
replacement.

news:aUUjb.362667$Lnr1.49319@news01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...

Thor 10-18-2003 01:31 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

resistors are typically solid-material devices. What you likely saw was a
failing capacitor. Electrolytic caps have an electrolyte fluid in them that
can leak when the cap fails. Sometimes they fail quite spectacularly with
smoke, fire or a big BANG!. It may have failed of it's own accord or it
could have been induced to fail by a problem in that circuit.

news:XhVjb.4465$F31.383281@news20.bellglobal.com.. .

Mark 10-18-2003 05:09 PM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

Yes. That was it. Got my terms wrong. :)

mark mandell 10-19-2003 04:30 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

"Larry Smith" <_no_spam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:aUUjb.362667$Lnr1.49319@news01.bloor.is.net.c able.rogers.com...
> > I'm sure this has happened to just about every tech with a decent amount

> of
> > time in the business.

> I program for a living (20+ years) and have never seen this happen once

(nor
> heard about it). Of course if you repair or build computers for a living

it
> comes as no surprise. In fact, I've noticed how much cheaper the equipment
> has become in recent years (quality, not price>

Yes., like the 400 watt power supply that came with this cheapo case I
bought at the Computer Expo last week.
The price of this combo unit was SO low I knew I would soon replace the PSU
which I did a few days later without even bothering to test the thing.

Mark Mandell

Plato 10-19-2003 06:09 AM

Re: Fried a Power Supply

Mark wrote:

> I hooked up a system of a co-worker's to check over a few windows errors.
> Turning on the system gave me quite an impressive display of fireworks from
> the power supply. Opening up the PSU confirmed my suspisions, it was fried.
> I was also greeted by an army of dust bunnies inside the case ans PSU.

It happens. Yes since you moved the PC and all you did was turn it on
makes you feel silly, but it's NOT your fault. Heck, sometimes when just
adding a new battery on-site to replace a bad one can result in a
"windows protection error" on the reboot. Again, there's nothing you
could have done to prevent it. That's the nature of the business and why
folks are paying you. The same would have occured if the owner tried the
same him/herself.

It's like old plumbing in a way. ie your pipes dont leak, but the
plumber comes over to
replace your water heater and wala, an old solder joint breaks apart and
now there is
more work. The "problem" was hidden and waiting to be discovered anyway.
You just got to be the "lucky" one to "discover" it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/