Velocity Reviews

-   -   Recording BIOS settings? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308028-recording-bios-settings.html)

Kenny 08-08-2003 08:46 PM

Recording BIOS settings?

Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record current
BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

--

Kenny

08-08-2003 09:07 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

"Kenny" <elvis@gracelands.com> wrote in message
> Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record

current
> BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
> down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

Kenny 08-08-2003 09:21 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

Never thought of that, thanks.

--

Kenny

<nospam@notime.org> wrote in message
news:eiUYa.1220$7z1.1118@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net...
> "Kenny" <elvis@gracelands.com> wrote in message
> > Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record

> current
> > BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them

all
> > down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?
> >

> You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

08-08-2003 09:33 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

It works because "print screen" use a BIOS call and doesn't depend on an
OS to be loaded. Some of the graphic chars. may be gibberish and it may take
a form feed to get the page out, but the text and settings should appear
fine.

\

Ken Blake 08-08-2003 10:14 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

In news:eiUYa.1220$7z1.1118@newsread3.news.pas.earthl ink.net,
nospam@notime.org <nospam@notime.org> typed:

> "Kenny" <elvis@gracelands.com> wrote in message
>> Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record
>> current BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually
>> writing them all down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?
>>

> You can use "print screen" to print 'em out.

Maybe. It requires that you don't have a winprinter and it requires that you don't have a USB printer. The result is that for many people these days, you can *not* use PrintScrn.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

SgtMinor 08-08-2003 10:19 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

A useful shareware utility is CMOSsave, $10, from Canadian Mind
Products: http://mindprod.com/products.html

Lots of other utilities too.

Shepİ 08-08-2003 11:12 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 21:46:07 +0100, In this world we created "Kenny"
<elvis@gracelands.com> wrote :

>Have been asked by a friend if there's any utility which will record current
>BIOS settings, perhaps as a text file, to avoid manually writing them all
>down before flashing it. I don't know, is there?

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tu...rial.php/id/69

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Free songs download,

Barry Watzman 08-08-2003 11:35 PM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

However, some modern PC printers operate in graphics mode exclusively
and cannot print ASCII characters, that is, they are dependent on
Windows device drivers. Also, most BIOS' can't use "print screen" with
USB printers.

So this trick won't work with some newer printers.

mark mandell 08-09-2003 03:06 AM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

CMOSSAVE which is a freeware/shareware program already mentioned is an
excellent DOS program. And the $10 fee is if you intend distributing to
others, otherwise free AFAIK.

Mark Mandell
news:3F3421F9.C8A4EC4E@the.old.folks.home.invalid. ..

Gary G. Taylor 08-09-2003 03:33 AM

Re: Recording BIOS settings?

Barry Watzman wrote:

> However, some modern PC printers operate in graphics mode exclusively
> and cannot print ASCII characters, that is, they are dependent on
> Windows device drivers. Also, most BIOS' can't use "print screen" with
> USB printers.
>
> So this trick won't work with some newer printers.

The solution to which is to get an old dot matrix somethingorother from a
second hand shop and a parallel port card and shove it onto that.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA