Velocity Reviews

-   -   Serial ATA (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308017-serial-ata.html)

Newt 07-18-2003 08:13 PM

Serial ATA

Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
http://www.serialata.org/

HTH
Newt

AD C 07-18-2003 10:41 PM

Re: Serial ATA

Newt wrote:

> Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
> http://www.serialata.org/

Thank you, I bookmarked the URL and well have a look tomorrow, when i am
more awake. I want to know more about Serial ATA as my board supports them

Baffie 07-18-2003 11:03 PM

Re: Serial ATA

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:13:45 +0100, "Newt" <no.one@home.co.uk> wrote:

>Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
>http://www.serialata.org/
>
>HTH
>Newt

I must take a look at this website - there may well be an explanation
on why such flimsy connectors were specified when it's pretty obvious
how easy they can be broken.

Please reply to newsgroup - it's not my address in the header!

Robert Baer 07-19-2003 06:24 AM

Re: Serial ATA

Newt wrote:

> Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
> http://www.serialata.org/
>
> HTH
> Newt

I think the "fuss" (or hype) is a bit over-rated at best.
For example, take a "ho-hum" parallel IDE data transfer rate of
100Mbytes/sec, and make the false assumption that only data is
transferred via the cable.
Convert it to raw serial data, without any added control bits =
800Mbits/sec or almost 1Ghz data rate.
Then add in the control functions, which translates to 1Ghz or more..
And the claim it is faster than parallel IDE????????????????????

AD C 07-19-2003 08:54 AM

Re: Serial ATA

Baffie wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:13:45 +0100, "Newt" <no.one@home.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
>>http://www.serialata.org/
>>
>>HTH
>>Newt
>>

> I must take a look at this website - there may well be an explanation
> on why such flimsy connectors were specified when it's pretty obvious
> how easy they can be broken.

they do look flimsy, I must admit, I looked at the cable that came with
my abit board, I suppose most of the time they are pluged in and left,so
being flimsy is not a problem.

You may be able to help me here, one day soon, in the future, when I got
some money :-) , I am looking to buy a Serial ATA drive. I know that
you need a different data cable, but I also heard you need a convertor
for the power lead, is that true?

The only thing that came with my mother board is a data cable and a EIDE
convertor so I can one my normal har drive on the Serial if I want to.
See no need to do that yet, unles I was suign raid or I had all my EIDE
ports filled.

AD C 07-19-2003 08:58 AM

Re: Serial ATA

Robert Baer wrote:

> Newt wrote:
>
>>Anyone who would like to know more about SATA try here
>>http://www.serialata.org/
>>
>>HTH
>>Newt

> I think the "fuss" (or hype) is a bit over-rated at best.
> For example, take a "ho-hum" parallel IDE data transfer rate of
> 100Mbytes/sec, and make the false assumption that only data is
> transferred via the cable.
> Convert it to raw serial data, without any added control bits =
> 800Mbits/sec or almost 1Ghz data rate.
> Then add in the control functions, which translates to 1Ghz or more..
> And the claim it is faster than parallel IDE????????????????????

I will have a look at what you said when I am more awake and then try
and understand it :-)

DeMoN LaG 07-19-2003 09:02 AM

Re: Serial ATA

Robert Baer <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Convert it to raw serial data, without any added control bits =
> 800Mbits/sec or almost 1Ghz data rate.
> Then add in the control functions, which translates to 1Ghz or more..
> And the claim it is faster than parallel IDE????????????????????

See, the thing is right now SATA isn't really much faster (if any). The
difference is that PATA is at the end of it's road, and has little future.
SATA /can/ go faster when needed.

RussS 07-19-2003 09:20 AM

Re: Serial ATA

Consider todays serial ATA to be the equivalent as earlier ATA 33
standards - 66 was an improvement and future SATA will be an improvement on
current specs. Saying that my current setup with an ASUS P48SX board is
much quicker and trouble free than my earlier version P4S333 with PATA
drives - using the same RAM and processor.

GB 07-19-2003 09:22 AM

Re: Serial ATA

"DeMoN LaG" <de_on-lag@co_cast.net> wrote in message
> Robert Baer <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in
>
> > Convert it to raw serial data, without any added control bits =
> > 800Mbits/sec or almost 1Ghz data rate.
> > Then add in the control functions, which translates to 1Ghz or more..
> > And the claim it is faster than parallel IDE????????????????????

> See, the thing is right now SATA isn't really much faster (if any). The
> difference is that PATA is at the end of it's road, and has little future.
> SATA /can/ go faster when needed.

Surely, then, the message is to avoid SATA for now. Whatever hardware is
bought now will presumably not work with the new faster standard when it
comes out?

Is this just hype-ware?

Thor 07-19-2003 11:40 AM

Re: Serial ATA

"GB" <G@b.com> wrote in message news:3f190d89@news1.homechoice.co.uk...

> "DeMoN LaG" <de_on-lag@co_cast.net> wrote in message
> > Robert Baer <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote in
> >
> > > Convert it to raw serial data, without any added control bits =
> > > 800Mbits/sec or almost 1Ghz data rate.
> > > Then add in the control functions, which translates to 1Ghz or

more..
> > > And the claim it is faster than parallel IDE????????????????????

> > See, the thing is right now SATA isn't really much faster (if any). The
> > difference is that PATA is at the end of it's road, and has little

future.
> > SATA /can/ go faster when needed.

> Surely, then, the message is to avoid SATA for now. Whatever hardware is
> bought now will presumably not work with the new faster standard when it
> comes out?
>
> Is this just hype-ware?

No, the intention is that future S-ATA modes will be backward compatible,
just as parallel ATA drives and controllers have been backward compatible
throughout it's lifetime. The key limitations you will likely see over time
will be in the BIOS just as before.