Velocity Reviews

-   -   SMART HDD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t308000-smart-hdd.html)

Chris S 07-08-2003 10:39 PM

SMART HDD

Hi,

I have looked at the computer Bios and have noticed that SMART is not
enabled.
It has not been enabled since I got my computer.
The drive is a Seagate and I have XP.

Why is it not enabled, should I enable the drive?

Thanx

Nick 07-09-2003 12:27 AM

Re: SMART HDD

Always a good idea to enable it

Trollslayer@thecave.com 07-09-2003 02:28 AM

Re: SMART HDD

Nick<goonerbloke_nospam_@hotmail.com> spewed forth with the following
drivel:

:: Always a good idea to enable it

And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I can't
believe some of the drivel here.

Buster

rcm 07-09-2003 03:20 AM

Re: SMART HDD

Why drivel? I always enable SMART. I had a harddrive warn me in SMART that
is was going bad, I downloaded the manufacturers diags to test it, it
passed. I rebooted, the next day SMART said it was having problems again.
I reran the manufacturers diags, it failed. I rebooted to get my data off
but the drive died before I could do something about it.

Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says it is
going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around with diags
knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if you ever suspect
your drive is acting strange, back it up right away as you won't get much
time if it is dieing. I won't talk about regular backups, I fail at that.

BTW, does SMART have any significant overhead running. I am sure there is
something overhead wise but what.
news:q5LOa.417871$Vi5.10809928@news1.calgary.shaw. ca...

Matt 07-09-2003 06:26 AM

Re: SMART HDD

"Do some research."

No research necessary, Smart errors are very rare but it does work,
why don't you let us all know what "drivel" you know about it???

news:iqNOa.418305$Vi5.10876172@news1.calgary.shaw. ca...

Matt 07-09-2003 03:35 PM

Re: SMART HDD

Theres a program called "Active SMART" that monitors your drive during
windows.

DeMoN_LaG 07-09-2003 05:49 PM

Re: SMART HDD

"rcm" <rcm711@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:tSLOa.391912$ro6.9516925@news2.calgary.shaw.c a:

> Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says
> it is going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around with
> diags knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if you
> ever suspect your drive is acting strange, back it up right away as
> you won't get much time if it is dieing. I won't talk about regular
> backups, I fail at that.

SMART has been telling me for like two years that my 30 gig Maxtor is
dying. Throughout this time, 2 other drives have died, neither one of them
was reported by SMART, and to this day my Maxtor is still kicking along
without a single bad sector and passing all diagnostics flawlessly.

rcm 07-09-2003 06:02 PM

Re: SMART HDD

Interesting. And you ran the Maxtor Diags that passed it. Personally from
my experience (bad) I would be nervous running the drive. To each his own.

DeMoN_LaG 07-10-2003 12:47 AM

Re: SMART HDD

"rcm" <rcm711@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:AMYOa.394040$3C2.10816499@news3.calgary.shaw. ca:

> Interesting. And you ran the Maxtor Diags that passed it. Personally
> from my experience (bad) I would be nervous running the drive. To
> each his own.

I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I've had a drive that was failed and
couldn't read or write anything pass a SMART diagnostic, and I have had
drives that fail SMART not die for over 3 years. It doesn't work.

sqr 07-10-2003 04:43 AM

Re: SMART HDD

The hard drive will take a slight hit in performance when it is enabled.

--
sqr
Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

"MrT" <none@none.non> wrote in message news:3f0b4c56$0$228@hades.is.co.za...
> SMART is Self-Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology and it allows

HDDs