Velocity Reviews

-   -   Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307912-security-breaches-pandemic-deloitte-touche-2006-global-security-survey.html)

docbook.xml@gmail.com 06-27-2006 03:15 AM

Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

A nice summary of the Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey, and
links to the Survey, and other articles that cover the survey. Deloitte
survey of 150 companies in technology, media, telecommunications ...
more than half reported Security Breaches in the past 12 month; 48% via
spyware / malware; 50% of respondents reported internal breaches.. Read
More:

http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

docbook.xml@gmail.com 06-27-2006 03:18 AM

Re: Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

Digg Discussion of this artikle:

http://digg.com/security/Security_Br...ecurity_Survey

imhotep 06-27-2006 05:13 AM

docbook.xml@gmail.com wrote:

> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html
>
> A nice summary of the Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey, and
> links to the Survey, and other articles that cover the survey. Deloitte
> survey of 150 companies in technology, media, telecommunications ...
> more than half reported Security Breaches in the past 12 month; 48% via
> spyware / malware; 50% of respondents reported internal breaches.. Read
> More:
>
> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

I believe it. God I am glad I use Linux both at work and at home...

Imhotep

--
*************************************
Pass a Net Neutrality Law in the US!!!!

Save the Internet:
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Its our net:
http://www.itsournet.org/

*************************************

B. Nice 06-27-2006 05:36 AM

Re: Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:13:54 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
wrote:

>docbook.xml@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html
>>
>> A nice summary of the Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey, and
>> links to the Survey, and other articles that cover the survey. Deloitte
>> survey of 150 companies in technology, media, telecommunications ...
>> more than half reported Security Breaches in the past 12 month; 48% via
>> spyware / malware; 50% of respondents reported internal breaches.. Read
>> More:
>>
>> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

>I believe it. God I am glad I use Linux both at work and at home...
>
>Imhotep

I bet the reasons for these problems are mainly due to lousy security
policies and the implementation (or lack) of same.

imhotep 06-27-2006 12:49 PM

B. Nice wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:13:54 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>docbook.xml@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html
>>>
>>> A nice summary of the Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey, and
>>> links to the Survey, and other articles that cover the survey. Deloitte
>>> survey of 150 companies in technology, media, telecommunications ...
>>> more than half reported Security Breaches in the past 12 month; 48% via
>>> spyware / malware; 50% of respondents reported internal breaches.. Read
>>> More:
>>>
>>> http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

>>I believe it. God I am glad I use Linux both at work and at home...
>>
>>Imhotep

> I bet the reasons for these problems are mainly due to lousy security
> policies and the implementation (or lack) of same.

....these and also the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball so many times
with security on the Windows platform that the current spyware/malware has
become an epidemic....

Go Mac, Go Linux, Go with anything that is safer than Windblows...

Imhotep

--
*************************************

B. Nice 06-27-2006 01:13 PM

Re: Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:49:59 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
wrote:

>B. Nice wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 01:13:54 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
>> wrote:

>>>I believe it. God I am glad I use Linux both at work and at home...
>>>
>>>Imhotep

>> I bet the reasons for these problems are mainly due to lousy security
>> policies and the implementation (or lack) of same.

>...these and also the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball so many times
>with security on the Windows platform that the current spyware/malware has
>become an epidemic....
>
>Go Mac, Go Linux, Go with anything that is safer than Windblows...
>
>Imhotep

I would'nt say I fully disagree. But on the other hand, if I were to
code some malware, I would definately go for the most widespread
target.

It's not just what tool You use, but also how You use it.

imhotep 06-28-2006 01:36 AM

B. Nice wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:49:59 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>B. Nice wrote:

>>> I bet the reasons for these problems are mainly due to lousy security
>>> policies and the implementation (or lack) of same.

>>...these and also the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball so many
>>times with security on the Windows platform that the current
>>spyware/malware has become an epidemic....
>>
>>Go Mac, Go Linux, Go with anything that is safer than Windblows...
>>
>>Imhotep

> I would'nt say I fully disagree. But on the other hand, if I were to
> code some malware, I would definately go for the most widespread
> target.

I hear this from a lot people trying desperately to ignore the Microsoft
plague, the excuse of it being hacked so much because of popularity. First,
the last number I as was 88% to 92% PC running MS. When why are
99.999999999% of the viruses/malware/crapware Windows only? It would follow
from your excuse that 88% to 92% would be windows only. Also, then why
not "code" in java since all modern OSes have it installed?

There are many reasons why Microsoft, and Microsoft only, are being plagued
by this:

1) Microsoft and their partners make money, and a lot of it, from selling
you anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc.

2) Most people are stupid and take the abuse without researching other
solutions.

3) Microsoft cares more about the marketing of their products than the
security of their products

4) There are always brain washed idiots who will say "It is not Microsoft's
fault, it is because their products as so popular" and these people,
amazingly, really believe it!

Think about it,
Imhotop

B. Nice 06-28-2006 05:28 AM

Re: Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:36:47 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
wrote:

>B. Nice wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 08:49:59 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
>> wrote:

>>>...these and also the fact that Microsoft has dropped the ball so many
>>>times with security on the Windows platform that the current
>>>spyware/malware has become an epidemic....
>>>
>>>Go Mac, Go Linux, Go with anything that is safer than Windblows...
>>>
>>>Imhotep

>> I would'nt say I fully disagree. But on the other hand, if I were to
>> code some malware, I would definately go for the most widespread
>> target.

>I hear this from a lot people trying desperately to ignore the Microsoft
>plague, the excuse of it being hacked so much because of popularity. First,
>the last number I as was 88% to 92% PC running MS. When why are
>99.999999999% of the viruses/malware/crapware Windows only? It would follow
>from your excuse that 88% to 92% would be windows only.

No, You can't derive that from it.

>There are many reasons why Microsoft, and Microsoft only, are being plagued
>by this:
>
>1) Microsoft and their partners make money, and a lot of it, from selling
>you anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc.

There is a big market for anti-matter, yes. There is also a big market
for horoscopes.

>2) Most people are stupid and take the abuse without researching other
>solutions.

Most people generally buy a lot of crap, I agree.

>3) Microsoft cares more about the marketing of their products than the
>security of their products

As You imply, MS must adapt to the market. They have to find the
optimal balance between security and usability in their products. Like
it or not. Market terms seldom result in superb products. As long as
there are alternatives, I don't care. One can't fight stupidity.

>4) There are always brain washed idiots who will say "It is not Microsoft's
>fault, it is because their products as so popular" and these people,
>amazingly, really believe it!

And there are idiots who believe that if 90% used Linux the
virus/malware/crapware guys would still hit on the MS products.

imhotep 06-28-2006 05:50 AM

B. Nice wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:36:47 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
>>B. Nice wrote:

http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

http://www.xml-dev.com/lurker/messag...d9ec20.en.html

>>> I would'nt say I fully disagree. But on the other hand, if I were to
>>> code some malware, I would definately go for the most widespread
>>> target.

>>I hear this from a lot people trying desperately to ignore the Microsoft
>>plague, the excuse of it being hacked so much because of popularity.
>>First, the last number I as was 88% to 92% PC running MS. When why are
>>99.999999999% of the viruses/malware/crapware Windows only? It would
>>follow from your excuse that 88% to 92% would be windows only.

> No, You can't derive that from it.
>
>>There are many reasons why Microsoft, and Microsoft only, are being
>>plagued by this:
>>
>>1) Microsoft and their partners make money, and a lot of it, from selling
>>you anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc.

> There is a big market for anti-matter, yes. There is also a big market
> for horoscopes.

Please...Fact is a fact MS and their partners make billions of dollars on
this. Why do you think they would want to fix the crapware problem and risk
losing such a profitable cash cow?

>>2) Most people are stupid and take the abuse without researching other
>>solutions.

> Most people generally buy a lot of crap, I agree.
>
>>3) Microsoft cares more about the marketing of their products than the
>>security of their products

> As You imply, MS must adapt to the market. They have to find the
> optimal balance between security and usability in their products. Like
> it or not. Market terms seldom result in superb products. As long as
> there are alternatives, I don't care. One can't fight stupidity.

Clearly, and even you must agree, the MS marketing causes a lot of Microsoft
problems....

>>4) There are always brain washed idiots who will say "It is not
>>Microsoft's fault, it is because their products as so popular" and these
>>people, amazingly, really believe it!

> And there are idiots who believe that if 90% used Linux the
> virus/malware/crapware guys would still hit on the MS products.

Only an idiot would deny the obvious. VIRUSES, MALWARE, SPYWARE, AND GENERAL
CRAPWARE ARE A MICROSOFT PROBLEM. Why? Because it is just too damn easy!!!

>>Think about it,
>>Imhotop
>>
>>> It's not just what tool You use, but also how You use it.

....when your tool is inadequate, get a different one instead of denying the
obvious...

-- Imhotep

--
*************************************

B. Nice 06-28-2006 06:02 AM

Re: Security Breaches Pandemic - Deloitte Touche 2006 Global Security Survey

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 01:50:06 -0400, imhotep <inhotep@nospam.com>
wrote:

>>>4) There are always brain washed idiots who will say "It is not
>>>Microsoft's fault, it is because their products as so popular" and these
>>>people, amazingly, really believe it!

>> And there are idiots who believe that if 90% used Linux the
>> virus/malware/crapware guys would still hit on the MS products.

>Only an idiot would deny the obvious. VIRUSES, MALWARE, SPYWARE, AND GENERAL
>CRAPWARE ARE A MICROSOFT PROBLEM. Why? Because it is just too damn easy!!!

Fine. Then continue to consider me an idiot. I don't care. As long as
the weakest point obviously is the user itself, I don't buy your
"argument".