Velocity Reviews

-   -   Frame Relay without LMI (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t30790-frame-relay-without-lmi.html)

John Agosta 12-08-2003 04:35 PM

Frame Relay without LMI

Does anyone have a frame relay access facility connecting
to a Public Service Provider without LMI provisioned on the access facility?

I am not interested in "what" LMI does, or "why" it is a beneficial
protocol. I'm good on all that.

What my question is --- this :

For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
what was your experience like getting the service provider
to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
(Providers feel free to chime in......)

Easy ?
They knew what you were asking, and gladly accomodated your wish?

Hard?
It took days, weeks, or months to get some one to understand your
requirements and then set up your access ports accordingly ?

An exercise in futility?
The provider had no clue on what you were asking, regardless as to whom you
spoke with.

Impossible.
The carrier understood what you wanted, but "policy" did not allow them to
provision the
access facility according to your needs.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

-ja

News Account 12-08-2003 04:42 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

I'm curious why would you not want LMI?

Don Woodward

"John Agosta" <j_agosta@wideopenwest.kom> wrote in message

> Does anyone have a frame relay access facility connecting
> to a Public Service Provider without LMI provisioned on the access

facility?

> I am not interested in "what" LMI does, or "why" it is a beneficial
> protocol. I'm good on all that.
>
> What my question is --- this :
>
> For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
> into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
> what was your experience like getting the service provider
> to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
> (Providers feel free to chime in......)

<snip>

John Agosta 12-08-2003 04:53 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

The reasons 'why' I would not want LMI is not the issue.
Let's pretend I have a router that doesn't 'do' LMI....

I am looking for feedback on experiences dealing with
Public Carriers when something "out of the norm"
is being requested.

news:hR1Bb.2753$R%4.480@fe10.private.usenetserver. com...

News Account 12-08-2003 11:47 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

OK, I'll check with AT&T tomorrow and see if they offer "no LMI" - I work
for an AT&T reseller.

On the project I'm currently working on we use "ANNEX-D" type LMI - AT&T
defaults to "CISCO/STRATA" type LMI, but they call it "LMI" type LMI if you
can understand that.

AT&T quite often does not set the LMI type as ordered and leaves the
default - that's been my experience on the nearly 500 sites of my project.

John Agosta 12-09-2003 01:41 AM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

Thank you.
The feedback you get when asking the question
is exactly what I am looking for....

-ja

news:GR8Bb.3602$R%4.931@fe10.private.usenetserver. com...

Tax Johnson 12-09-2003 05:59 AM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

"John Agosta" <j_agosta@wideopenwest.kom> wrote in message news:<PaCdnV-
<snip>
> For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
> into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
> what was your experience like getting the service provider
> to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
> (Providers feel free to chime in......)
>

> Easy ?
> They knew what you were asking, and gladly accomodated your wish?
>
> Hard?
> It took days, weeks, or months to get some one to understand your
> requirements and then set up your access ports accordingly ?
>
> An exercise in futility?
> The provider had no clue on what you were asking, regardless as to whom you
> spoke with.
>
> Impossible.
> The carrier understood what you wanted, but "policy" did not allow them to
> provision the
> access facility according to your needs.
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback!
>
> -ja

Hi John,
Check it out, check it out, check it out, check it out....

I've done this several times, but I always asked to re-enable it.

One time was to test out a new no-name "frame-relay aware" CSU.

All of the other times were to test a new FR branch office (new spoke
off of the hub) where we didn't have the equipment yet. We'd either
have the FR provider loop up the smart jack (or whatever other type of
loopback device is on the circuit), exit the circuit, and disable LMI
on the UNI port. Or, we'd just have them loop up the smartjack, exit
the circuit, and change the port to an NNI. At the hub, we'd send
massive PINGs down the new PVC to stress it out a while.

How easy was it to get this done? I usually didn't have a problem
getting them to do this. Although, I never had them keep it like
this.

-tax

joe 12-09-2003 01:10 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

i have run this in my lab... check out the
"interface local-dlci" command.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...gt.htm#1059567

John Agosta 12-09-2003 04:09 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

Hey! One of the 'homeboys,' I see !

Thanks for the feedback.
What kind of turn around did you experience between the
time you asked for LMI to be disabled - and then it was,
and also between the time you asked for it to get re-enabled - and then it
was ?

(My experience has been like pulling teeth.....)

By the way, your spelling needs to be corrected. It's:

"Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout."
One BIG word......
;-)

John Agosta 12-09-2003 04:12 PM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

Joe, I was looking for input regarding experiences dealing
with Public Carriers and making a request that could
perhaps be considered 'unusual'.....But thanks just the same.

"joe" <noc@mortgageit.com> wrote in message
news:79240318.0312090510.3487a646@posting.google.c om...
> i have run this in my lab... check out the
> "interface local-dlci" command.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...3/123tcr/123tw
r/wan_f2gt.htm#1059567

Tax Johnson 12-10-2003 09:01 AM

Re: Frame Relay without LMI

"John Agosta" <j_agosta@wideopenwest.kom> wrote in message news:<47ydnSTfn_MxbkiiRVn-jg@wideopenwest.com>...
> Hey! One of the 'homeboys,' I see !
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
> What kind of turn around did you experience between the
> time you asked for LMI to be disabled - and then it was,
> and also between the time you asked for it to get re-enabled - and then it
> was ?
>
> (My experience has been like pulling teeth.....)

> By the way, your spelling needs to be corrected. It's:
>
> "Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout."
> One BIG word......
> ;-)

It was usually immediately (or wait a minute while they conference on
their next level to see what I was up to). I think a lot of it
depends on which service provider you're dealing with. I usually
dealt with ASI (SBC's local FR/ATM branch). I deal with them a lot
and have a good working relationship with them. Good luck!

-tax

PS I picked up your saying a few years back in an ABGP course you
taught. Very well done!