Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307741-cain-and-abel-and-norton-internet-security-nis.html)

GRL 04-29-2006 07:28 AM

Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS)

NIS shows Cain&Abel as a malware. Is it correct?
Thanks.
Giovanni

nemo_outis 04-29-2006 01:34 PM

Re: Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS)

"GRL" <giorel@tiscali.it> wrote in news:44531584@newsgate.x-privat.org:

> NIS shows Cain&Abel as a malware. Is it correct?
> Thanks.
> Giovanni

Nope, it's a hacker tool (password recovery) Harmless unless deliberately
invoked (and even then it will only do what you tell it.).

http://www.oxid.it/cain.html

Regards,

PS Has google stopped working?

GRL 04-29-2006 01:42 PM

Re: Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS)

Thanks.
Of course Google is running, but it's not always the quickest way to find
something specific (if not, what's the reason for newsgroups?).
What I really wanted to understand is if C&A could be an actual threat.
Giovanni

Todd H. 04-29-2006 06:56 PM

"GRL" <giorel@tiscali.it> writes:

> NIS shows Cain&Abel as a malware. Is it correct?

Nah. It's not something you want on your system if you didn't put it
there though. It is a rather verastile hacking tool, but not in
itself malware.

If you just happened to discover it on your system though, and you
didn't put it there, you've been owned.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H. 04-29-2006 06:58 PM

Re: Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS)

"GRL" <giorel@tiscali.it> writes:

> Thanks.
> Of course Google is running, but it's not always the quickest way to find
> something specific (if not, what's the reason for newsgroups?).

Hi Giovanni,

I agree with you. Google doesn't answer specific questions like that,
or let you tap into those who know what tools are legit and which are
malware. Your post is entirely appropriate.

I've used Cain and ABel in the past for security vulnerability
assessment, and so long as it was you who put it on your system, you
don't have much to worry about.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

GRL 04-29-2006 07:00 PM

Re: Cain&Abel and Norton Internet Security (NIS)

Thank you Todd, your answer is just the one I was looking for.
Giovanni

donnie 04-30-2006 02:13 AM

On 29 Apr 2006 09:28:04 +0200, "GRL" <giorel@tiscali.it> wrote:

>NIS shows Cain&Abel as a malware. Is it correct?
>Thanks.
>Giovanni

If anything is malware, it's Norton. It has no buisness on any PC.