Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Anti-malware on Win2K: Run as administrator or user (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307505-re-anti-malware-on-win2k-run-as-administrator-or-user.html)

YoKenny 02-04-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Anti-malware on Win2K: Run as administrator or user

Jim Byrd <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> typed:
> Hi Dude - The short answer is yes. From my Blog, Defending Your
> Machine, addy below in my Signature:

<snip>

> "Dubious Dude" <Shifty@eyes.com> wrote in message
>> I am using Windows 2000, and I scan my PC with McAfee antivirus,
>> SpyBot Search&Destroy, and LavaSoft Ad-Aware. I sometimes do it from
>> the administrator account, and sometimes from the user account. I am
>> most often using the user account. I haven't noticed any difference
>> between using the 2 accounts. Is there a best practice? Thanks.

Using MSCONFIG as a Startup Control Manager can be hazardous to your WinXP
system.
It has the capability to stop critical System Services that are critical to
WinXP's operation and could render the system un-bootable.

Get Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel as this is a much safer Startup Control
Manager:
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

WinPatrol has a function that displays Startup applications and can disable
them.
It also has several real time monitors that warn you about critical system
modifications.
Highly recommended.
http://www.winpatrol.com
--
Keep your security software up to date by reading the announcements at
Calendar of Updates http://www.dozleng.com/updates/calendar.html

YoKenny 02-04-2006 11:51 AM

Re: Anti-malware on Win2K: Run as administrator or user

YoKenny <address@nowere.invalid> typed:
> Jim Byrd <jrbyrd@spamlessadelphia.net> typed:
>> Hi Dude - The short answer is yes. From my Blog, Defending Your
>> Machine, addy below in my Signature:

> <snip>
>
>> "Dubious Dude" <Shifty@eyes.com> wrote in message
>>> I am using Windows 2000, and I scan my PC with McAfee antivirus,
>>> SpyBot Search&Destroy, and LavaSoft Ad-Aware. I sometimes do it
>>> from the administrator account, and sometimes from the user
>>> account. I am most often using the user account. I haven't
>>> noticed any difference between using the 2 accounts. Is there a
>>> best practice? Thanks.

> Using MSCONFIG as a Startup Control Manager can be hazardous to your
> WinXP system.
> It has the capability to stop critical System Services that are
> critical to WinXP's operation and could render the system un-bootable.
>
> Get Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel as this is a much safer Startup
> Control Manager:
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
>
> WinPatrol has a function that displays Startup applications and can
> disable them.
> It also has several real time monitors that warn you about critical
> system modifications.
> Highly recommended.
> http://www.winpatrol.com

I ment Win2K. :)