Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307417-wmf-patch-includes-win-9x-me.html)

Art 01-04-2006 09:38 PM

WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg


Peter 01-05-2006 02:23 PM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 


Art wrote:
>
> http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg


Has anyone tried this fix on a win98se system? Does it slow the GDI
down? (Guess there must be some overhead as it interecepts commands to
the GDI).

Until there's a definite reported instance of this wmf vulnerability
affecting win98 machine -- none so far AFAIK -- might it not be better
to leve alone? What say ye?

see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid 01-05-2006 06:37 PM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:23:44 +0000, Peter <"veryhjdf"@kk.zz$> spewed:
>> http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php
>>
>> Art
>>
>> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

>
>Has anyone tried this fix on a win98se system? Does it slow the GDI
>down? (Guess there must be some overhead as it interecepts commands to
>the GDI).
>
>Until there's a definite reported instance of this wmf vulnerability
>affecting win98 machine -- none so far AFAIK -- might it not be better
>to leve alone? What say ye?


Ya, and what about 95?
Usually 9x is not vulnerable to the sea of vulnerabilities of 2k/XP.

--
__________________________________________________ ___
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Art 01-05-2006 08:34 PM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:23:44 +0000, Peter <"veryhjdf"@kk.zz$> wrote:

>Art wrote:
>>
>> http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php


>Has anyone tried this fix on a win98se system? Does it slow the GDI
>down? (Guess there must be some overhead as it interecepts commands to
>the GDI).
>
>Until there's a definite reported instance of this wmf vulnerability
>affecting win98 machine -- none so far AFAIK -- might it not be better
>to leve alone? What say ye?


I am not expert enough to give you a definitive answer. Certainly Win
9X/ME are not targeted by the recent rash of WMF malware which use
particular weaknesses found in the later OS. Yet many experts point
out that OS all the back to Win 3.X have WMF vulnerabilities. I doubt
that NOD antivirus researchers would have bothered to cover the
Win 98 case if they didn't think it was a potential problem. It will
be interesting to see if MS offers a patch for Win 98 and ME.

Besides Win 2K Pro, I also run a Win ME machine. I've installed
Ilfak's fix on the former and the NOD32 fix on the latter since
Ilfak's fix doesn't cover the 9X/ME cases. There's no "slowing
down" on either machine. There would be some small amount of
RAM useage but I haven't bothered to check how much.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg


see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid 01-06-2006 04:42 AM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:34:25 GMT, Art <null@zilch.com> spewed:
>>> http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php

>
>>Has anyone tried this fix on a win98se system? Does it slow the GDI
>>down? (Guess there must be some overhead as it interecepts commands to
>>the GDI).
>>
>>Until there's a definite reported instance of this wmf vulnerability
>>affecting win98 machine -- none so far AFAIK -- might it not be better
>>to leve alone? What say ye?

>
>I am not expert enough to give you a definitive answer. Certainly Win
>9X/ME are not targeted by the recent rash of WMF malware which use
>particular weaknesses found in the later OS. Yet many experts point
>out that OS all the back to Win 3.X have WMF vulnerabilities. I doubt
>that NOD antivirus researchers would have bothered to cover the
>Win 98 case if they didn't think it was a potential problem. It will
>be interesting to see if MS offers a patch for Win 98 and ME.
>
>Besides Win 2K Pro, I also run a Win ME machine. I've installed
>Ilfak's fix on the former and the NOD32 fix on the latter since
>Ilfak's fix doesn't cover the 9X/ME cases. There's no "slowing
>down" on either machine. There would be some small amount of
>RAM useage but I haven't bothered to check how much.
>


Ah man, I'm already so short on RAM the CPU's dying of thirst!
Can't upgrade it in this particular badly designed laptop either :(

I'm assuming the only way I'd be vulnerable is via web browser, so can you
turn it on and off? That way I could only run it when I'm on the web.

--
__________________________________________________ ___
For email response, or CC, please mailto:see.my.sig.4.addr(at)bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)

Lars 01-06-2006 05:31 PM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
Steve gibson of the "Security Now!" podcast said that he would make a
win 98 patch if windows didn't make, so hopefully he and Ilfak will put
one out soon. <http://grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm>


Peter 01-07-2006 11:41 AM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 


Lars wrote:
>
> Steve gibson of the "Security Now!" podcast said that he would make a
> win 98 patch if windows didn't make, so hopefully he and Ilfak will put
> one out soon. <http://grc.com/sn/notes-020.htm>



Or use the freeware patch here. Works great and is removable if you
decide not to keep it.

http://www.nod32.ch/en/download/tools.php

Peter//

Lars 01-10-2006 02:15 AM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
if you want to avoid installing a aptch, you could always unregister
the .dll. directions on were microsofts site...


see.my.sig.4.addr@nowhere.com.invalid 05-09-2006 06:40 AM

Re: WMF patch includes Win 9X/ME
 
On 9 Jan 2006 18:15:15 -0800, "Lars" <powder.monger@gmail.com> spewed:
>if you want to avoid installing a aptch, you could always unregister
>the .dll. directions on were microsofts site...


How, and what would be the effects of such?
I could swear I heard that wouldn't work, but maybe that was unassociating
it. Something to do with files other than the dll being able to be
affected because it can be sensed by internals of the file as well as file
type. But, I'm vague on that recollection.
--
__________________________________________________ ___
For email response, or CC, please email see.my.sig.4.addr-a@t-bigfoot.com.
Yeah, it's really a real address :)


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.