Velocity Reviews

-   -   Keeping confidential data safe? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307396-keeping-confidential-data-safe.html)

AN O'Nymous 12-29-2005 08:49 PM

Keeping confidential data safe?

I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
break in in a house down the street from my place.

My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.

I was thinking about bringing my 6 (internal) hard disks with me on my
flight, but I am unsure whether X-rays or rough handling may corrupt
the data. Will it? Would wrapping the hard disks in towels be OK in
terms of shock protection?

As for the CD/DVDs, does anyone know whether it is likely an
opportunistic thief would steal a stack of them sitting in the corner?
When thieves break into a house of an absent owner, do they clear out
everything or just the expensive looking items?

Lastly, should I strip all key files from a WWW-connected server I use
for my numerical calculations? I am solely responsible for that
computer's security (even signed a form saying I was) and it uses SuSE
9.2. I keep a constant watch on it and being unable to do so for a few
weeks makes me jittery.

philo 12-29-2005 08:57 PM

Re: Keeping confidential data safe?

AN O'Nymous wrote:
> I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
> break in in a house down the street from my place.
>
> My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
> unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
> simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
> also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
> be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
> the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.
>
> I was thinking about bringing my 6 (internal) hard disks with me on my
> flight, but I am unsure whether X-rays or rough handling may corrupt
> the data. Will it? Would wrapping the hard disks in towels be OK in
> terms of shock protection?
>
> As for the CD/DVDs, does anyone know whether it is likely an
> opportunistic thief would steal a stack of them sitting in the corner?
> When thieves break into a house of an absent owner, do they clear out
> everything or just the expensive looking items?

<snip> if you are really paranoid...
get a bank , safe-deposit box

Patrick Cleburne 12-29-2005 09:35 PM

"AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
> break in in a house down the street from my place.
>
> My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
> unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
> simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
> also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
> be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
> the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.

Disk encryption s/w like PGP will lock it down tight...

nemo_outis 12-29-2005 10:19 PM

Re: Keeping confidential data safe?

"AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com:

Safe-deposit box.

Regards,

AN O'Nymous 12-29-2005 10:52 PM

Re: Keeping confidential data safe?

It has less to do with paranoia, than me signing multiple documents
explicitly saying that I am liable if anything goes wrong.

A safe-deposit box was the first thing I thought of, but the ones I've
seen won't hold 6 HDDs and 1000+ discs (like I said, checking 1000+
discs for the files in question is too big a hassle).

AN O'Nymous 12-29-2005 10:54 PM

Re: Keeping confidential data safe?

Thanks, I think I'll go for this, and just take one hard disk with
backups with me in case a thief steals my PC during the festive season.

The 30 day trial looks good; by the time its over I will be back.

Notan 12-29-2005 11:31 PM

Patrick Cleburne wrote:

> "AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> >I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
> > break in in a house down the street from my place.
> >
> > My hard disks at home contain confidential research work. It is
> > unlikely a thief would be able to make heads or tails of it but I
> > simply can not bear the thought of it ending up in a third party. I
> > also have quite a few CD/DVD backups -- about 1000+ discs, but I can't
> > be bothered to go through all of them to find the ones which contain
> > the most sensitive files, maybe 25 or so discs.
> >

> Disk encryption s/w like PGP will lock it down tight...

Anyone know if PGP will work with a RAID1 configuration?

Notan

vernon 12-30-2005 12:38 AM

"nemo_outis" <abc@xyz.com> wrote in message
> "AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in
> news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com:
>
> Safe-deposit box.
>
> Regards,

The perfect, uncomplicated answer.

Donnie 12-30-2005 02:25 AM

Re: Keeping confidential data safe?

"AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
> break in in a house down the street from my place.

##################################
Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
donnie.

AN O'Nymous 12-30-2005 02:30 AM

Donnie wrote:
> "AN O'Nymous" <a_n_onymous80@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1135889350.400819.150960@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
> > I will be away from home for a while. Just a few days ago there was a
> > break in in a house down the street from my place.

> Who else did you tell besides the everyone who reads usenet?
> donnie.

I'd like to see how someone can track down my physical address via
Usenet.

Only my neighbours know.