Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which free webmail is safest? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307380-which-free-webmail-is-safest.html)

Trevor Jakes 12-22-2005 05:03 PM

Which free webmail is safest?

I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
it's more of an intellectual curiousity.

QUESTIONS:

1.
Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
free web e-mail?

2.
If so, what differences exist?

-trev

George Orwell 12-22-2005 07:59 PM

Re: Which free webmail is safest?

Trevor Jakes wrote:

> I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
> scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
> reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only read

Unless they work for Google as email readers, or Yahoo as "incoming email
readers", they have no way to know any of this. None of us civilians do.

Never trust armchair lawyers who claim X does Y but Z doesn't. They're
only spreading the rumors they heard from the armchair lawyers they admire
the most. Sure there's going to be a few isolated cases that let people
say "told ya' so", but in the overall picture they're tiny, and
meaningless. What you're seeing is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
The unfortunate people who happen to have been caught.

> mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
> privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
> it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1.
> Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
> free web e-mail?

No.

It doesn't matter one bit what their "policy" is, or what little niggling
things have been discovered to be true or untrue. The ONLY thing you can
be assured of is that none of them are in any way private because email is
in no way private and they're storing all of it for you. :)

Human nature being what it is, if your email is being stored in the open
by a company with any number of employees greater than zero, somewhere,
some day, someone is going to read your mail and sell you name to the
highest bidder.

Welcome to reality. :)

Donnie 12-23-2005 12:30 AM

"Trevor Jakes" <trevortjakes@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
> scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
> reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
> read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
> privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
> it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1.
> Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
> free web e-mail?
>
> 2.
> If so, what differences exist?
>
> -trev

#################################
Probably, there isn't much of a difference. I've been using inbox.com for
now until I get my computers setup again. All of them require that some
scripting be run in the browser which I always block. You never know what's
happening in the background. The bst thing to do is to have a separate
machine just for that.
donnie

Donnie 12-24-2005 12:49 AM

Re: Which free webmail is safest?

> the most. Sure there's going to be a few isolated cases that let people
> say "told ya' so", but in the overall picture they're tiny, and
> meaningless.

##################################
Isolated cases count too. They maybe tiny but I wouldn't say that they are
meaningless.
donnie

David 12-25-2005 01:20 AM

Trevor Jakes wrote:
> I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
> scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
> reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
> read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
> privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
> it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> 1.
> Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
> free web e-mail?
>
> 2.
> If so, what differences exist?
>
> -trev

If you are storing mail on their systems, it can be, but probably won't be read. If "probably" is not good enough for you, the thing to do is use the account with an offline reader and an encryption package, make an strong (4096 bits, and use a strong hash) RSA or DSA/El Gamal encryption key pair, have your buddies do the same, and send everything encrypted. This way, even if it is stored on their systems, they cannot read it (unless maybe the NSA wants to). It mostly depends on the trouble you want to go through.

~David~

George Orwell 12-25-2005 02:33 AM

David wrote:

>> Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
>> free web e-mail?
>>
>> 2.
>> If so, what differences exist?
>>
>> -trev

> If you are storing mail on their systems, it can be, but probably won't be
> read. If "probably" is not good enough for you, the thing to do is use

A lot of people would say that if it "could be" read, you have to assume
it is. Assuming the best is sort of contradictory to everything security
pros preach. ;)

traveler 66 12-26-2005 07:41 AM

Re: Which free webmail is safest?

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
<trevortjakes@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
>scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
>reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
>read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
>privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
>it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>
>QUESTIONS:
>
>1.
>Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
>free web e-mail?
>
>2.
>If so, what differences exist?
>
>-trev

You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a
proxy and at the least have java dissabled.

Fritz Wuehler 12-26-2005 04:58 PM

traveler 66 wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
> <trevortjakes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
>>scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
>>reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
>>read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
>>privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
>>it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>>
>>QUESTIONS:
>>
>>1.
>>Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
>>free web e-mail?
>>
>>2.
>>If so, what differences exist?
>>
>>-trev

> You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a proxy
> and at the least have java dissabled.

What for? They can still read, archive, and sell you mail address to the
highest bidder. That WAS what the OP was asking about.

More totally useless information from a privacy.LIE idiot. Lemme guess, if
the poor guy replies with "what do you mean by use a proxy", your next
message will be.... ??

Scumbag.

traveler 66 12-27-2005 04:39 AM

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:58:54 +0100, Fritz Wuehler wrote:

> From: Fritz Wuehler <fritz@spamexpire-200512.rodent.frell.theremailer.net>
> Comments: This message did not originate from the Sender address above. It was remailed automatically by anonymizing remailer software. Please report problems or inappropriate use to the remailer administrator at <abuse@frell.theremailer.net>. Identifying the real sender is technically impossible.
> Subject: Re: Which free webmail is safest?
> Newsgroups: alt.computer.security
> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 17:58:54 +0100
>
> traveler 66 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:03:30 -0800, Trevor Jakes
>> <trevortjakes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I had friends tell me not to use Google mail. One because of the whole
>>>scanning-indexing/ad-targeting issue, the other because they said Google
>>>reads all mail and attachments where as others (Hotmail, Yahoo!) only
>>>read mail you receive. I'm not counting on any security anyways (posted
>>>privacy policies are the legal equivalent of "it's our data now"), so
>>>it's more of an intellectual curiousity.
>>>
>>>QUESTIONS:
>>>
>>>1.
>>>Is there a difference in personal privacy between Yahoo, MSN, and Google
>>>free web e-mail?
>>>
>>>2.
>>>If so, what differences exist?
>>>
>>>-trev

>> You shouldn't rely on any of them for privacy, always use them via a proxy
>> and at the least have java dissabled.

> What for? They can still read, archive, and sell you mail address to the
> highest bidder. That WAS what the OP was asking about.
>
> More totally useless information from a privacy.LIE idiot. Lemme guess, if
> the poor guy replies with "what do you mean by use a proxy", your next
> message will be.... ??
>
> Scumbag.

The only idiot here is the one you see when you look in the mirror on any
morning, the fact that you don't know what a proxy is tells me your an
idiot who wouldn't know what staying anonymous using various means is,
wether it's a public or private proxy. I bet you think these free e-mails
don't copy your e-mail don't you.

Why don't you go play "scumbag" somewhere else troll, like on a server with
a black box on it, it suites you, take your friends with you "scumbag".

black hat 12-27-2005 08:19 AM

Re: Which free webmail is safest?

Get lost troll "scumbag", it's you...