Velocity Reviews

-   -   Boot Passwords (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307377-boot-passwords.html)

Cerebral Believer 12-21-2005 12:35 PM

Boot Passwords

Hi everyone,

I have a BIOS utility on my PC (accessible during start up by pressing "F1")
which allows me to set passwords, but for some reason the PC does not
require that a user enters any of these passwords every time the PC is
switched on, but rather only when a user enters the BIOS utility. My laptop
requres the BIOS password to be entered every time the computer starts up,
and I want my desktop PC to act in like manner. I have checked out the
product support helpline for my desktop PC and it seems (strangely) that the
BIOS passwords can not be set so that they are required on boot up.

Does anyone know of any programs that will impliment a power on/boot
password, or is there anything in Windows XP that will do the same?

-------
Regards,
CB.

Jim Watt 12-21-2005 01:09 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:35:54 GMT, "Cerebral Believer"
<cerebral.believer@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I have a BIOS utility on my PC (accessible during start up by pressing "F1")
>which allows me to set passwords, but for some reason the PC does not
>require that a user enters any of these passwords every time the PC is
>switched on, but rather only when a user enters the BIOS utility.

many machines give you the option of protecting the machine -or-
just the BIOS settings in CMOS. Look more carefully at the options
connected with the password.

Its a useful security feature, but not high security unless you
lock the case.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Iuri Cuznetov 12-21-2005 01:13 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

> I have checked out the product support helpline for my desktop PC and it
> seems (strangely) that the BIOS passwords can not be set so that they are
> required on boot up.

AFAIK, this thing will not work until your password is blank. Try to enter
your new password in BIOS (something like "Set Supervisor Password") and
somewhere in BIOS the parameter "Security" must be set to "Computer"

Cerebral Believer 12-21-2005 02:34 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

Jim,

Thanks for your reply. As far as I could see, the only options are Change,
Set or Disable. There isn't a BIOS or Machinr protection option there at
all, but thanks for the suggestion.

For what reason would I have to lock the case? What is the best way to
protect a desktop computer from unauthorised access in your opinion?

-------
Regards,
CB.

Cerebral Believer 12-21-2005 02:40 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

Iuri,

Thanks for your suggestion. I should have stated more clearly that my BIOS
does not have a "Security" menu/perameter, even the at on the technical
support helpline seemed surprised about this. I also checked the
manuafactureres website (HP) to make sure that I had the latest version of
the BIOS software, and this is a new computer too. I have managed to set
"Supervisor" and "User" passwords, it is just that they only are required
when entering the BIOS utility, not simply when starting the machine, and
there is no option to apply them in such circumstances.

-------
Regards,
CB.

Mike 12-21-2005 03:24 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

Cerebral Believer wrote:
> For what reason would I have to lock the case?

So that nobody could get in and set the jumper inside to reset the cmos
and so reset your password to blank. BIOS passwords are pointless
without physical security.

> What is the best way to
> protect a desktop computer from unauthorised access in your opinion?

Lock it in a cupboard, don't connect it to the Internet or a network and
don't install any software. Proably best not to turn it on at all ;-)

BIOS passwords are pointless in terms of security.

Cerebral Believer 12-21-2005 03:39 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

Mike,

I take your point on physical security. I thought that BIOS passwords, in
conjunction with other BIOS settings, were useful for ensuring that a user
could only boot from the hard drive of a PC, and not from a CD-ROM etc in
order to bypass the Windows Password?

I chose to get a PC that can work with removable drives, all my programs are
on the main C drive, and all my important files are stored on 160GB
removable drives which are locked up.

I also have a Cisco router and Norton Firewalls on each PC on my LAN, trying
to be safe but productive rather than just plain safe:-)

-------
Regards,
CB.

Jim Watt 12-21-2005 07:46 PM

Re: Boot Passwords

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:24:48 +0000, Mike <honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk>
wrote:

>BIOS passwords are pointless in terms of security.

nonsense, they provide a very good method of securing
machines in the average workplace.

There is no absolute in security, its about building fences
as high as they need be for a purpose.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Winged 12-22-2005 01:08 AM

Re: Boot Passwords

Cerebral Believer wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a BIOS utility on my PC (accessible during start up by pressing "F1")
> which allows me to set passwords, but for some reason the PC does not
> require that a user enters any of these passwords every time the PC is
> switched on, but rather only when a user enters the BIOS utility. My laptop
> requres the BIOS password to be entered every time the computer starts up,
> and I want my desktop PC to act in like manner. I have checked out the
> product support helpline for my desktop PC and it seems (strangely) that the
> BIOS passwords can not be set so that they are required on boot up.
>
> Does anyone know of any programs that will impliment a power on/boot
> password, or is there anything in Windows XP that will do the same?
>
> -------
> Regards,
> CB.

What BIOS make and version are you running. With the plethora of
possibilities out there it is difficult to provide specific instructions.

Most Bios today allow a supervisor password (sounds like one you set)
and a boot password. This is reasonable security precaution against
novice unauthorized access. It won't keep the computer savvy out of
system unless the case is locked.

Most modern Bios allow you to set a boot order of devices. Most modern
bios allow you to set 4 or more devices in the boot order. To prevent
booting from (for example a CD ROM) you simply remove it from the boot
order.

Without knowing the Bios manufacturer and the bios version or the mobo
Make/model/serial number involved, providing directions on proper setup
is like asking how to program a macro without a frame of reference. We
can tell you generically how to do it, but can not provide the detail
you are asking.

Winged

Cerebral Believer 12-22-2005 08:58 AM

Re: Boot Passwords

"Winged" <Winged@nofollow.com> wrote in message
> Cerebral Believer wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a BIOS utility on my PC (accessible during start up by pressing
>> "F1") which allows me to set passwords, but for some reason the PC does
>> not require that a user enters any of these passwords every time the PC
>> is switched on, but rather only when a user enters the BIOS utility. My
>> laptop requres the BIOS password to be entered every time the computer
>> starts up, and I want my desktop PC to act in like manner. I have
>> checked out the product support helpline for my desktop PC and it seems
>> (strangely) that the BIOS passwords can not be set so that they are
>> required on boot up.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any programs that will impliment a power on/boot
>> password, or is there anything in Windows XP that will do the same?
>>
>> -------
>> Regards,
>> CB.

> What BIOS make and version are you running. With the plethora of
> possibilities out there it is difficult to provide specific instructions.
>
> Most Bios today allow a supervisor password (sounds like one you set) and
> a boot password. This is reasonable security precaution against novice
> unauthorized access. It won't keep the computer savvy out of system
> unless the case is locked.
>
> Most modern Bios allow you to set a boot order of devices. Most modern
> bios allow you to set 4 or more devices in the boot order. To prevent
> booting from (for example a CD ROM) you simply remove it from the boot
> order.
>
> Without knowing the Bios manufacturer and the bios version or the mobo
> Make/model/serial number involved, providing directions on proper setup is
> like asking how to program a macro without a frame of reference. We can
> tell you generically how to do it, but can not provide the detail you are
> asking.
>
> Winged

Hi Winged,

Thanks for your response. I have a Phoenix Award BIOS CMOS Setup Utility,
Core Version 6.0, BIOS Revision 3.35 (30/09/05).

-------
Regards,
CB.