Velocity Reviews

-   -   Biometric access systems for online website authentication? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307364-biometric-access-systems-for-online-website-authentication.html)

.ep 12-19-2005 10:00 AM

Biometric access systems for online website authentication?

Hello,

I am looking for good turnkey solutions (off the shelf) for managing
online access to a group of websites run by us. We are a large
organization and very global, but have websites with very targeted
audience.

Each of these audience members needs to be uniquely identified. Our
current system requires them to sign up to our club, based on age,
passport copies, credit card number etc.

It is a very rigid system. However, at the end of it, we just give them
a username and password, which can of course be shared around and
anyone can login with that information.

So we are looking for some system that allows us to uniquely identify a
user. We don't mind giving out small, cheap hardware. We considered
RSA's SecurID but that's just a device that produces time-stamped
numbers, and this small device can be shared around with friends, just
like username and password.

Would anyone know of, or have had experience with, any biometric
solution or something of that nature that can allow us to UNIQUELY
identify individuals?

Many thanks,
Erick

Ipeefreely 12-19-2005 11:21 PM

Re: Biometric access systems for online website authentication?

On 19 Dec 2005 02:00:37 -0800, ".ep" <erick.papa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am looking for good turnkey solutions (off the shelf) for managing
>online access to a group of websites run by us. We are a large
>organization and very global, but have websites with very targeted
>audience.
>
>Each of these audience members needs to be uniquely identified. Our
>current system requires them to sign up to our club, based on age,
>passport copies, credit card number etc.
>
>It is a very rigid system. However, at the end of it, we just give them
>a username and password, which can of course be shared around and
>anyone can login with that information.
>
>So we are looking for some system that allows us to uniquely identify a
>user. We don't mind giving out small, cheap hardware. We considered
>RSA's SecurID but that's just a device that produces time-stamped
>numbers, and this small device can be shared around with friends, just
>like username and password.
>
>Would anyone know of, or have had experience with, any biometric
>solution or something of that nature that can allow us to UNIQUELY
>identify individuals?
>
>Many thanks,
>Erick

Erick,

That one is a tough one. However you should be able to use Biometrics
with SafeWord from www.SecureComputing.com. The issue that I see here
is how are you going to get all your users BIO Marks into a database?

I have seen Safeword used in conjunction with Smartcards and PKI
Digital Certs, and Windows DC with the scheme that is installed with
the Safeword software.

Just my .02 Cents