Velocity Reviews

-   -   Is Microsoft Attacking? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307283-is-microsoft-attacking.html)

Ron 11-22-2005 09:02 AM

Is Microsoft Attacking?

Every once in a while I would get these "reminders" from "Microsoft" to
update my system's security by applying the patches mentioned in the
messages. But my anti-virus software says there are viruses in these
so-called patches.

I delete these bogus messages, but I have to wonder who takes the time
to masquerade as Microsoft and infests patches with viruses? Is there
some purpose to this other than maybe sick humor?

Ron

Michael Meckelein 11-22-2005 10:03 AM

Re: Is Microsoft Attacking?

"Ron" wrote in message
> Every once in a while I would get these "reminders" from "Microsoft" to
> update my system's security by applying the patches mentioned in the
> messages. But my anti-virus software says there are viruses in these
> so-called patches.
>
> I delete these bogus messages, but I have to wonder who takes the time
> to masquerade as Microsoft and infests patches with viruses? Is there
> some purpose to this other than maybe sick humor?

In the majority of cases it has nothing to do with sick humor. Furthermore
in almost all cases it has criminal purposes.

How to tell whether a Microsoft security-related e-mail message is genuine
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...uine_mail.mspx

Regards,
Michael

Jim Watt 11-22-2005 11:48 AM

Re: Is Microsoft Attacking?

On 22 Nov 2005 01:02:16 -0800, "Ron" <ryon@quik.com> wrote:

>Every once in a while I would get these "reminders" from "Microsoft" to
>update my system's security by applying the patches mentioned in the
>messages. But my anti-virus software says there are viruses in these
>so-called patches.
>
>I delete these bogus messages, but I have to wonder who takes the time
>to masquerade as Microsoft and infests patches with viruses? Is there
>some purpose to this other than maybe sick humor?
>
>Ron

spreading virus's to the gullible, MS don't send patches by email.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David H. Lipman 11-22-2005 03:46 PM

Re: Is Microsoft Attacking?

From: "Ron" <ryon@quik.com>

| Every once in a while I would get these "reminders" from "Microsoft" to
| update my system's security by applying the patches mentioned in the
| messages. But my anti-virus software says there are viruses in these
| so-called patches.
|
| I delete these bogus messages, but I have to wonder who takes the time
| to masquerade as Microsoft and infests patches with viruses? Is there
| some purpose to this other than maybe sick humor?
|
| Ron

It's called Social Engineering.

There are several Internet worms that masquerade as patches from Microsoft. The most common
are; Swen, Dumaru, Gibe and Torvil. All AV companies and Microsoft are fully aware of this
problem.

All you can do is...

1. Keep your AV package up-to-date
2. Create email "rules" to auto-delete the offending messages
3. Petition your ISP to install AV software on their respective email servers.
4. Install all MS Critical Updates via the Windows Update web site.
5. Always munge your email address when posting to UseNet
6. If all else fails, Change your email address.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm