Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   SYSTEM PASSWORD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307251-system-password.html)

Notan 11-17-2005 01:24 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
>
> I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
>
> When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
> and a prompt _.


If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.

Notan

Notan 11-17-2005 01:26 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
Notan wrote:
>
> Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
> >
> > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
> >
> > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
> > and a prompt _.

>
> If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.


By the way, check your system clock and time zone... They're off by ~3 hours!

Notan

DavidPostill 11-17-2005 02:03 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
In article <437BDBD4.22B01803@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:

| Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
| >
| > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
| >
| > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
| > and a prompt _.
|
| If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.

Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>

Third entry is:

<http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>

Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...
--
DavidPostill

Notan 11-17-2005 02:11 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
DavidPostill wrote:
>
> In article <437BDBD4.22B01803@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:
>
> | Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
> | >
> | > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
> | >
> | > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
> | > and a prompt _.
> |
> | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.
>
> Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
>
> Third entry is:
>
> <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
>
> Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...


I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.

Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?

Notan

DavidPostill 11-17-2005 02:39 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
In article <437BE6BC.AC004A15@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:11:08 -0700, Notan wrote:

| DavidPostill wrote:
| >
| > In article <437BDBD4.22B01803@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:
| >
| > | Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
| > | >
| > | > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
| > | >
| > | > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
| > | > and a prompt _.
| > |
| > | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.
| >
| > Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
| >
| > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
| >
| > Third entry is:
| >
| > <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
| >
| > Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...
|
| I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.

Please qualify your statement next time then. Something along the lines of
"There are no backdoors unless you want to pay large amounts of money" would
do the trick.

| Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?

No. What is the relevance of your question?
--
DavidPostill

Jean Guilfoyle 11-17-2005 04:17 AM

SYSTEM PASSWORD
 

I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.

When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
and a prompt _.

Can anyone help me.



Jim Watt 11-17-2005 09:48 AM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:03:38 GMT, DavidPostill <david@postill.org.uk>
wrote:

><http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>


Although its cheaper than the previous data recovery services offered
where you send the drive away, using that involves setting up a
seperate machine to basically hack the password on the drive.

Its certainly OK for someone experienced in PC repairs, but for an
average inept user with a laptop its not really a solution.

A couple of years ago I got a drive protected with a password, the
option was to replace it, as the data was all backed up anyway.
I recently received the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor so can have a go at
breaking into it as an exercise, having studied the manual and
ATA specs carefully. Its a long term project.

The pay-per-recover model is interesting, but not to me as a
buyer.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

V.B. 11-17-2005 11:09 PM

Re: SYSTEM PASSWORD
 

"DavidPostill" <david@postill.org.uk> wrote in message
news:0tqnn1pfl4i0u1e0jrvgvdfj8b8450jbsr@4ax.com...
> In article <437BE6BC.AC004A15@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005

19:11:08 -0700, Notan wrote:
>
> | DavidPostill wrote:
> | >
> | > In article <437BDBD4.22B01803@ddress.com>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005

18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:
> | >
> | > | Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
> | > | >
> | > | > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
> | > | >
> | > | > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word

"password"
> | > | > and a prompt _.
> | > |
> | > | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no

backdoors.
> | >
> | > Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
> | >
> | > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
> | >
> | > Third entry is:
> | >
> | > <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
> | >
> | > Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting

inaccuracies ...
> |
> | I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.
>
> Please qualify your statement next time then. Something along the lines of
> "There are no backdoors unless you want to pay large amounts of money"

would
> do the trick.
>
> | Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?
>
> No. What is the relevance of your question?
> --
> DavidPostill


Down, boys!!




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.