Velocity Reviews

-   -   Opera browser is not free... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307040-opera-browser-is-not-free.html)

Imhotep 09-25-2005 04:48 AM

Opera browser is not free...

"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
browser."

I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
version are welcomed.

http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=9130

Imhotep

Notan 09-25-2005 04:53 AM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

Imhotep wrote:

> "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
> Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
> Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
> users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
> browser."
>
> I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
> version are welcomed.

Years ago, Opera's big claim to fame was that it loaded pages *much* faster
than Internet Explorer and Netscape.

Sorry, as I haven't used it it quite some time, I can't give you anything
more up to date.

Notan

Notan 09-25-2005 04:57 AM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

Notan wrote:

> Imhotep wrote:
> >
> > "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
> > Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
> > Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
> > users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
> > browser."
> >
> > I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
> > version are welcomed.

> Years ago, Opera's big claim to fame was that it loaded pages *much* faster
> than Internet Explorer and Netscape.
>
> Sorry, as I haven't used it it quite some time, I can't give you anything
> more up to date.

By the way, did you mean "Opera browser is *now* free?"

Big difference! <g>

Notan

Imhotep 09-25-2005 04:57 AM

Re: Opera browser is not (NOW) free...

Imhotep wrote:

> "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
> Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
> Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many
> new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the
> Opera browser."
>
> I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
> version are welcomed.
>
> http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=9130
>
> Imhotep

Sorry type-o in the subject. Should be "Opera browser is now free"...

Imhotep

Imhotep 09-25-2005 05:50 AM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

Notan wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>>
>> Imhotep wrote:
>> >
>> > "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and
>> > experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner,
>> > CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will
>> > encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched
>> > usability of the Opera browser."
>> >
>> > I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the
>> > latest version are welcomed.

>> Years ago, Opera's big claim to fame was that it loaded pages *much*
>> faster than Internet Explorer and Netscape.
>>
>> Sorry, as I haven't used it it quite some time, I can't give you anything
>> more up to date.

> By the way, did you mean "Opera browser is *now* free?"
>
> Big difference! <g>
>
> Notan

Yup. Sorry about that.

Im

Matt Silberstein 09-25-2005 12:47 PM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:50:00 -0400, in alt.computer.security , Imhotep
<Imhotep@nospam.net> in <q4mdneudzfIUp6veRVn-vw@adelphia.com> wrote:

>Notan wrote:
>
>> Notan wrote:

>>> Years ago, Opera's big claim to fame was that it loaded pages *much*
>>> faster than Internet Explorer and Netscape.
>>>
>>> Sorry, as I haven't used it it quite some time, I can't give you anything
>>> more up to date.

>> By the way, did you mean "Opera browser is *now* free?"
>>
>> Big difference! <g>
>>
>> Notan

>Yup. Sorry about that.

It is disturbing how often I make that typo. One of those single bit
errors that can reverse meaning. (And, no, I don't mean it really is a
single bit and I am not going to look up the ASCII code.)

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

Genocide is news | Be A Witness
http://www.beawitness.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
www.darfurgenocide.org

Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
http://www.savedarfur.org/

optikl 09-25-2005 02:39 PM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

Imhotep wrote:
> "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
> Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
> Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
> users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
> browser."
>
> I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
> version are welcomed.
>
> http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=9130
>
> Imhotep

I've had issues using it, particularly through a proxy, although most
folks swear by it. I prefer Firefox.

Art 09-25-2005 04:50 PM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 00:48:43 -0400, Imhotep <Imhotep@nospam.net>
wrote:

>"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
>Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
>Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
>users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
>browser."
>
>I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
>version are welcomed.

The new free Opera 8.5 is quite nice, IMO. Some are saying it will
definitely give Firefox stiff competition. While you always have to
keep an eye on the current known security vulnerabilities, such
browsers are a far better choice than IE. Opera 8.5 includes some
security fixes.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Tim Brown 09-25-2005 08:24 PM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

wrote:

>"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience
>Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
>Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new
>users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera
>browser."
>
>I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the latest
>version are welcomed.
>
>http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=9130
>
>Imhotep

Good depends on who you ask and their usage. For me, a light dial up
user on an old p133 win 98 without using the majority of potential
"features", it is good and the only likeable ui through most of its
different versions. Including the latest free version 8.50. If you
have never used it, it Definitely is worth more than just try. Its
options (and my usage) is one reason i have zero use for anti viral
software or worry where i surf to. Have not used the linux version
just yet.
There are several use net groups for opera if your news server
carries them. If not, the open server news.opera.com has 40+ groups on
different aspects of opera as it develops. Last I looked posts were
available for the past several years. Makes it easy to scan user
love/hate or opera technical development relating to your usage needs.
tim

Hairy One Kenobi 09-26-2005 01:39 PM

Re: Opera browser is not free...

> Imhotep wrote:
> >
> > "Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and

experience
> > Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera
> > Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many

new
> > users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the

Opera
> > browser."
> >
> > I have never used this browser. Is it any good? Comments about the

latest
> > version are welcomed.

> Years ago, Opera's big claim to fame was that it loaded pages *much*

faster
> than Internet Explorer and Netscape.

....and was also much smaller in footprint, was keyboard-navigable, and had
the tabs-based setup pinched by the FireFox developers.

The major problem (from a webmaster's standpoint) was that it (sensibly)
attempted to emulate either IE or Nutscrape, but didn't quite manage either.
CSS woes, mostly.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!