Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306903-can-do-pc-power-saving-features-effectively-turn-off-za-and-mnw.html)

'Ole 08-25-2005 01:58 AM

Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ?

If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX minutes,
or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a "software
based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
[MyNetWatchman] from working ?

I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
anything.....

cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]

Winged 08-25-2005 06:53 AM

Re: Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW?

'Ole wrote:
> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX minutes,
> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a "software
> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>
> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
> anything.....

> cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]

no system activity should wake it.

winged

Winged 08-25-2005 10:59 PM

Winged wrote:
> 'Ole wrote:
>
>> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX
>> minutes,
>> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a
>> "software
>> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
>> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>>
>> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
>> anything.....
>>
>> --
>>
>> cheers.....'Ole [to reply: I live "@shaw.ca"]
>>

> no system activity should wake it.
>
> winged

No, system activity will wake the HDD when the interrupt is called.
This will increase latency somewhat. I read what I posted this AM, and
realized the difference a comma can make.

Winged

Hairy One Kenobi 08-27-2005 02:14 PM

"'Ole" <ole_curmudgeon@home.ca> wrote in message
> If I have power saving features set to put my HD to sleep after XX

minutes,
> or place the system in "Sleep" mode, does this effectively deny a

"software
> based" firewall [ZA, B Ice etc..] and/or intrusion reporting software
> [MyNetWatchman] from working ?
>
> I'm thinking that if the system is in "sleep" mode, it's not proccessing
> anything.....

The working parts (in ZA's case TruVector) are hooked into the network
layer. Anything that hits that will go through the relevant service *before*
hitting a server/whatever requested the transmission..

A delay (e.g. machine "waking up") only affects the time taken, not the
processing order.

HTH

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

'Ole 08-29-2005 01:40 PM

Re: Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ?

thanx.

'Ole 08-29-2005 01:40 PM

Re: Can/do PC power saving features effectively turn off ZA and MNW ?

Thanx guy.