Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site... (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306870-us-gov-looking-for-input-about-ie-only-pre-patient-web-site.html)

Imhotep 08-13-2005 11:57 PM

US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
I am not sure if this affects anyone but, I thought I would post it. I think
it is BS to restrict access to a Gov agency. Definitely worth a law suit if
they do this as it is restricting my access to a governmental agency.

http://lwn.net/Articles/147197/

Im

Jim Watt 08-14-2005 07:55 AM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:57:14 GMT, Imhotep <Imhotep@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am not sure if this affects anyone but, I thought I would post it. I think
>it is BS to restrict access to a Gov agency. Definitely worth a law suit if
>they do this as it is restricting my access to a governmental agency.
>
>http://lwn.net/Articles/147197/


Then put your money where your mouth is and issue a writ.

Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
of its security features.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Management 08-14-2005 12:39 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
Jim Watt wrote:

> Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
> of its security features.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com


Now that just is not true, it comes down being lazy and cheap. In
fact at least one US government security agency has advised people
to use 'alternative browsers', meaning Firefox, Opera, etc.

My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.

With IE's position being gradually eaten away we will see all sites
having be able to deal with Firefox, etc.

Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
graphical browsers.


Charlie.


PS: this is my last response to you Jim lad as it seems to me that
you just like to argue blindly. Hope the sun is shining on you in
Gibraltar :)



--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

Jim Watt 08-14-2005 02:02 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:39:10 +0100, Management
<charlienospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote:

>Jim Watt wrote:
>
>> Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>> of its security features.
>> --
>> Jim Watt
>> http://www.gibnet.com

>
>Now that just is not true,


So you say. Thats not what some banks state when specifying
the requirements to use their services.

>My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
>are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
>eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.


I use it too, but still have to use IE for certain websites.

>With IE's position being gradually eaten away we will see all sites
>having be able to deal with Firefox, etc.


Heres some current statistics

Browser % of Total Visitors
---------------------------------------------------------------
1 Internet Explorer 6.x 75.46%
2 Netscape 6.x 8.49%
3 Internet Explorer 5. 4.78%
4 Netscape 4.x 3.01%
5 Others 2.00%

>Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
>be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
>coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
>designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
>graphical browsers.


That statement is not correct, there are some subtle differences
between firefox and IE6 and I don't use activeX or frontpage.

>PS: this is my last response to you Jim lad as it seems to me that
>you just like to argue blindly. Hope the sun is shining on you in
>Gibraltar :)


Everyone has opinions, facts can be established.

see: http://www.gibnet.com/weather.htm
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Micheal Robert Zium 08-14-2005 05:19 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
Jim Watt wrote:

>Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
>of its security features.


Thanks for the comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
I'd be very interested to read anything that would shed some light on
that statement. Anything to back it up.


Hairy One Kenobi 08-14-2005 05:40 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 

"Management" <charlienospam@peartreegreen.org> wrote in message
news:42ff3b37$0$18648$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> Jim Watt wrote:
>
> > Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
> > of its security features.
> > --
> > Jim Watt
> > http://www.gibnet.com

>
> Now that just is not true, it comes down being lazy and cheap. In
> fact at least one US government security agency has advised people
> to use 'alternative browsers', meaning Firefox, Opera, etc.


I'd love a cite on that one (preferably not from an evangalist). My company
codes cross-platform, so it's something that would be useful to me
personally in discussions (all large customers - aside from a Nutscrape 4.7
French car maker - are 100% IE outside of the IT department)

The main problem, incidentally, really *is* laziness - they don't
specifically code for Firefox when they check the browser major version.
Given its roots, one might view this as sheer arrogance from Firefox.

> My wife & I have a number of US & UK bank accounts between us that
> are very happy to accept accept Firefox. Not forgetting Amazon,
> eBay, paypal and every site that I've bought from.


The vst majority are. The killer (as described above) is where you have to
have particular features - usually a minimum of 128-bit SSL. IIRC, that
"only" came out in 1999. I still stumble across 800x600 Windows 3 desktops,
let alone the hoards of Win95 users still lurking out there. As Jim says, if
you check the small-print, you'll probably find that your bank only support
IE. Use something different, by all means, but don't expect *support*.

You'll find the same thing (at least in the UK) when it comes to ISPs and
DSL/Cable routers. Loads have 'em, but you'd be hard-pressed to find an ISP
that *officially* offers support for them. Hell, since my ISP went IBM (via
Bangalore), I've had to explain how SMTP works from the bottom up, just to
get them to fix a bad switch/option on one box in a farm of otherwise
correctly-configured servers...

> Quite simply a sensible website designer will design his/her site to
> be compliant with web standards - that is not use any IE specific
> coding (no ActiveX) and not use Frontpage to create it. That way the
> designer can be sure that the site will render correctly in all
> graphical browsers.


Frontpage (retch).

The only site that I access with ActiveX is Windows Update, and things that
require plug-ins such as Flash or PDF (same damn technology under the
covers, no matter how you dress it up). The only time that the sites differ
is when using a Mozilla pixel (which is a different size to every other
pixel) and browser-specific limitations. In other words, look-and-feel,
rather than content.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
in the first place. So there!

P.S. Message to OP: copyright isn't a patent, which is the nearest typo I
can get to "patient". Duncha just lurve spellchuckers? ;o)



Hairy One Kenobi 08-14-2005 05:59 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
"Micheal Robert Zium" <mrozium@XSPAMX-yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:4nuuf19ju4jo1g83u9p5cgghgedb8atjer@4ax.com...
> Jim Watt wrote:
>
> >Many electronic banking packages are restricted to IE because
> >of its security features.

>
> Thanks for the comedy. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.
> I'd be very interested to read anything that would shed some light on
> that statement. Anything to back it up.


RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used to,
when I was with them. A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
with Firefox, but I'm not sure of their official policy. I think that
Commerzbank recently kludged to allow it.

A quick search reveals that Commerce Bank & Trust in the US (never heard of
'em) do officially support Firefox. As do Berliner Bank and Sparkasse
Pforzheim in Germany, and HVB Bank in the Czech Republic (although only on
Windows). Feel free to go beyond the first 100 Google hits...

--

Hairy One Kenobi

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
in the first place. So there!



Jim Watt 08-14-2005 06:46 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 17:59:03 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi"
<abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>RBS/Natwest currently mandate IE. FirstDirect (Midland, now HSBC) used to,


I tried Firefox with Natwest and it worked, it didn't before so they
must have changed things. Barclaycard told me they had a lot
of trouble changing their system to work cross browser. HSBC
did mandate it, but currently say any browser with 128bit encryption
as do Customs and Excise.

However, talking of banks one which used BT for technical
support had trouble with their dial up backup. It turned out that
they forgot to allow for the UK changing its IDD access code from
010 to 00 the BT guy was a bit sheepish about that ...
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Steve Welsh 08-14-2005 07:03 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> .... A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
> with Firefox....


I use ibanking at Barclays, and have used Firefox with absolutely no
problems at all, right from version 0.7 of Firefox and straight 'out of
the box', both on Windoze and Linux versions, so I don't know where that
one comes from.

Steve

Steve Welsh 08-14-2005 07:04 PM

Re: US Gov looking for input about IE ONLY pre-patient web site...
 
Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
> .... A friend with Barclays was unable to access e-banking
> with Firefox....


I use ibanking at Barclays, and have used Firefox with absolutely no
problems
at all, right from version 0.7 of Firefox and straight 'out of the box',
both
on Windoze and Linux versions, so I don't know where that one comes from.

Steve


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.