Velocity Reviews

-   -   HDD encryption (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306775-hdd-encryption.html)

Ann Onimus 07-07-2005 01:37 PM

HDD encryption

Hey,

I would like to be able to encrypt whole hard drive, or at least each
partition.

I know PGP 9.0 offers this, but I stumbled upon an app called
DriveCrypt.

Anyone uses such encryption?
What are your experiences?

tnx

Notan 07-07-2005 03:09 PM

Re: HDD encryption

Ann Onimus wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I would like to be able to encrypt whole hard drive, or at least each
> partition.
>
> I know PGP 9.0 offers this, but I stumbled upon an app called
> DriveCrypt.
>
> Anyone uses such encryption?
> What are your experiences?

DriveCrypt is more a "virtual encrypted container" piece of software.

If you're looking at whole disk encryption, the same company writes
DriveCrypt Plus Pack (DCPP).

You might also Google "hard drive encryption," for a plethora of hits.

Notan

Ann Onimus 07-07-2005 04:35 PM

Re: HDD encryption

Notan <notan@ddress.com> shared:

>If you're looking at whole disk encryption, the same company writes
>DriveCrypt Plus Pack (DCPP).

Yeah, I know that.

Have you tried it?

nemo_outis 07-07-2005 05:00 PM

Re: HDD encryption

Ann Onimus <Ann@Onimus.net> wrote in
news:4obqc11errdorcb77hb2337ercoppnd5r6@news.Onimu s.net:

> Hey,
>
> I would like to be able to encrypt whole hard drive, or at least each
> partition.
>
> I know PGP 9.0 offers this, but I stumbled upon an app called
> DriveCrypt.
>
> Anyone uses such encryption?
> What are your experiences?
>
> tnx

I have used a number of full-HD encryption products including DCPP
(Drivecrypt). My systems are currently protected with Safeboot Solo
(which is no longer available, except as a corporate multi-seat version)
which is rock-stable.

One interesting one I used briefly (but with complete satisfaction) is
Compusec - and it's free for personal use.

I have also briefly tried Safeguard Easy from Utimaco (worked fine).

One other which I have not tried is Winmagic's Securedoc.

None of these is open-source, unfortunately.

Just one point: While some are extremely robust (you can pull the power
while Safeboot or Compusec are encrypting for the first time and on
rebbot they will recover and continue without a hiccup) you should make a
full image backup of your drive before using any of them in case
something goes wrong.

Regards,

PS While it's not very active anymore the newsgroup
alt.security.scramdisk used to discuss all the disk encryption products.

Notan 07-07-2005 06:11 PM

Re: HDD encryption

nemo_outis wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I have used a number of full-HD encryption products including DCPP
> (Drivecrypt). My systems are currently protected with Safeboot Solo
> (which is no longer available, except as a corporate multi-seat version)
> which is rock-stable.
>
> One interesting one I used briefly (but with complete satisfaction) is
> Compusec - and it's free for personal use.
>
> I have also briefly tried Safeguard Easy from Utimaco (worked fine).
>
> One other which I have not tried is Winmagic's Securedoc.
>
> None of these is open-source, unfortunately.
>
> Just one point: While some are extremely robust (you can pull the power
> while Safeboot or Compusec are encrypting for the first time and on
> rebbot they will recover and continue without a hiccup) you should make a
> full image backup of your drive before using any of them in case
> something goes wrong.

I've been using DriveCrypt, for a number of years, without any problems.

I'd like to try one of the full disk encryption programs, but, unfortunately,
none of them seem to support RAID arrays.

Notan