Velocity Reviews

-   -   Palm Secuirity? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306753-palm-secuirity.html)

John Hyde 06-26-2005 07:20 AM

Palm Secuirity?

I'm not sure whether this will be considered on topic, but here goes:

I have a new palm OS hand held. (The Tungsten T5 if it matters.) I am
considering getting a WiFi card for it. The standard advice for laptops
is to make sure you have a good firewall before going WiFi since you are
creating an open link to your machine. Is there a similar requirement
for a Palm? Is separate software required? or is it in the WiFi Card
installation? Any one have any experience with these gadgets?

Thanks in advance
John

rm-rf 06-26-2005 09:01 AM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

John,

The wifi card will only be supplied with a driver for the PALM OS. No
Firewall Software will come with it.
As for Firewal for palm there is a few thirdparty options
Credant Technologies
Zone Alarm I think have one to.

I use a Windows Mobile device and a Symbian Phone.
I keep my sensitive data encrypted.

Hope this helps.

Juergen Nieveler 06-26-2005 09:30 AM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

"rm-rf" <decoy4000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As for Firewal for palm there is a few thirdparty options
> Credant Technologies
> Zone Alarm I think have one to.

Does PalmOS actually contain any services reachable via network? If
not, those "firewalls" are just as pointless as the virus scanners for
PalmOS.

Juergen Nieveler
--
"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are
malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

rm-rf 06-26-2005 10:47 AM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

Agreeing with Juergen

Dont think there is much to worry about

news:Xns9681741B0A403juergennieveler@nieveler.org. ..

Juergen Nieveler 06-26-2005 12:02 PM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

"rm-rf" <decoy4000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Agreeing with Juergen
>
> Dont think there is much to worry about

What I'd actually worry about is Bluetooth. Bluetooth-stacks seem to be
far more vulnerable right now that any IP-stack... it's bad enough if
somebody can get your phonebook out of your mobile by a buggy Bluetooth
stack, just how much worse would it be if he could get all the contents
of your PDA?

Juergen Nieveler
--
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

rm-rf 06-26-2005 12:10 PM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

I only seen speculation about this.
No one have ever shown me or displayed that it is possible to gain access to
a device via bluetooth without pairing.

I dont disagree with you Juergen, anything is possible.

news:Xns96818D2ED6955juergennieveler@nieveler.org. ..

Juergen Nieveler 06-26-2005 12:56 PM

Re: Palm Secuirity?

"rm-rf" <decoy4000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I only seen speculation about this.
> No one have ever shown me or displayed that it is possible to gain
> access to a device via bluetooth without pairing.

This attack sounds quite interesting:
http://www.eng.tau.ac.il/~yash/shaked-wool-mobisys05/

Juergen Nieveler
--
No, I'm not suggesting anything - I'm TELLING you