Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewall problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306286-firewall-problems.html)

Adrian Pavone 01-16-2005 05:41 AM

Firewall problems

Hello all,

I seem to be having a problem, and of my subscribed groups this seems like
the most appropriate place.

On this computer I have Zonealarm installed (not Pro, just normal for now),
and have it working perfectly fine for this computer (finally got email to
work through it). There is a problem though. When I connect other computers
to this computer (which is a gateway with ICS (I know, I know, but I don't
have a router at the moment)), they cannot access the internet while the
firewall is running, altough it works perfectly fine without the firewall
running (leaving me open for compromise). One of the other items trying to
use the connection is a Xbox, and so whatever settings need to be changed
have to be changed on the gateway, not the other computers (just thought I
would mention that if anyone was going to prescribe a client solution).

Any help would be greatly appreciated (For now I am using Zonealarm (since
it is easy for noobs), due to my brother being a complete twit when it comes
to computers (My bro, within the last 18 hours, disbled the firewall (for
over 8 hours!), installed 4 completely seperate spyware programs, let a
couple of worms in (due to the firewall being down), and executed a number
of virus infected programs.)

For when I am using the computer myself I will consider using a different
program if recommended (I do not know enough to write my own firewall), but
due to my brother using xbox when I am not around I will need to know how to
get zonealarm to let the traffic through eventually anyway.

Cheers,
Adrian.

Robsten 01-16-2005 08:36 AM

Re: Firewall problems

Adrian Pavone skrev:
> Hello all,
>
> I seem to be having a problem, and of my subscribed groups this seems like
> the most appropriate place.
>
> On this computer I have Zonealarm installed (not Pro, just normal for now),
> and have it working perfectly fine for this computer (finally got email to
> work through it). There is a problem though. When I connect other computers
> to this computer (which is a gateway with ICS (I know, I know, but I don't
> have a router at the moment)), they cannot access the internet while the
> firewall is running, altough it works perfectly fine without the firewall
> running (leaving me open for compromise). One of the other items trying to
> use the connection is a Xbox, and so whatever settings need to be changed
> have to be changed on the gateway, not the other computers (just thought I
> would mention that if anyone was going to prescribe a client solution).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated (For now I am using Zonealarm (since
> it is easy for noobs), due to my brother being a complete twit when it comes
> to computers (My bro, within the last 18 hours, disbled the firewall (for
> over 8 hours!), installed 4 completely seperate spyware programs, let a
> couple of worms in (due to the firewall being down), and executed a number
> of virus infected programs.)
>
> For when I am using the computer myself I will consider using a different
> program if recommended (I do not know enough to write my own firewall), but
> due to my brother using xbox when I am not around I will need to know how to
> get zonealarm to let the traffic through eventually anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian.

You have done something wrong, to block port 80. uninstall Zone and try
this:
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/

donnie 01-16-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Firewall problems

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:41:06 +0800, "Adrian Pavone"
<a.pavone@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I seem to be having a problem, and of my subscribed groups this seems like
>the most appropriate place.
>
>On this computer I have Zonealarm installed (not Pro, just normal for now),
>and have it working perfectly fine for this computer (finally got email to
>work through it). There is a problem though. When I connect other computers
>to this computer (which is a gateway with ICS (I know, I know, but I don't
>have a router at the moment)), they cannot access the internet while the
>firewall is running, altough it works perfectly fine without the firewall
>running (leaving me open for compromise). One of the other items trying to
>use the connection is a Xbox, and so whatever settings need to be changed
>have to be changed on the gateway, not the other computers (just thought I
>would mention that if anyone was going to prescribe a client solution).
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated (For now I am using Zonealarm (since
>it is easy for noobs), due to my brother being a complete twit when it comes
>to computers (My bro, within the last 18 hours, disbled the firewall (for
>over 8 hours!), installed 4 completely seperate spyware programs, let a
>couple of worms in (due to the firewall being down), and executed a number
>of virus infected programs.)
>
>For when I am using the computer myself I will consider using a different
>program if recommended (I do not know enough to write my own firewall), but
>due to my brother using xbox when I am not around I will need to know how to
>get zonealarm to let the traffic through eventually anyway.
>
>Cheers,
>Adrian.

###########################
If your brother won't accept a one way ticket to anywhere in the
world, you can try a program called internet gate, but the best thing
to do is to get a 65 dollar linksys router and then he can d/l all of
his favorite spyware on his own machine.
donnie.

Adrian Pavone 01-17-2005 05:21 AM

Re: Firewall problems

> You have done something wrong, to block port 80. uninstall Zone and try
> this:
> http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm
>
> --
> Robban Stenkvist

I didn't think I had blocked port 80 (I know I didn't incoming on this
computer at least, because I view webpages from this machine.). The problem
was that it wouldn't let it through to the other computers on the network.

Adrian 01-18-2005 08:43 AM

Re: Firewall problems

never mind all. I found the problem. I was using ZA rather then ZAP,
and ZA does not fully support ICS.

Thanks for the help

Adrian 01-18-2005 09:26 AM

Re: Firewall problems

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:38:39 GMT, donnie <donnie@queyosepa.org> wrote:
>###########################
>If your brother won't accept a one way ticket to anywhere in the
>world, you can try a program called internet gate, but the best thing
>to do is to get a 65 dollar linksys router and then he can d/l all of
>his favorite spyware on his own machine.
>donnie.

I'll see if I can convince mum that it is a good idea ;).

Actually, she is trying to convince him to go live with dad, so he
will snap out of his fantasy world where everyone is against him, and
he can't get a job (being a year 11 drop out kind of helped that), and
hopefully he will get a job and a life :).

Adrian