Velocity Reviews

-   -   Instant Messaging (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306283-instant-messaging.html)

John Hyde 01-13-2005 07:59 AM

Instant Messaging

My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
client?

Thanks,
John

sh4d03 01-13-2005 08:18 AM

Re: Instant Messaging

John Hyde wrote:
> My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
> process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
> I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
> here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
> can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
> client?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I personally use Miranda-im - this is an application that lets you
combine many popular chat clients - icq, aim, yahoo, jabber, msn, irc
and many more. Personally I feel this can be considered a version of
security via obscurity - i.e. most people do NOT use Miranda - thus are
not as frequently targetted by attacks.

Furthermore, by what do you mean 'insecure' are you referring to
insecurity by the people she's talking to? Stalkers etc? Or viruses,
malware or plain out cracking?

You can find miranda-im at www.miranda-im.org

Sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide

Juergen Nieveler 01-13-2005 10:21 AM

Re: Instant Messaging

John Hyde <EJHyd@netscape.net> wrote:

> I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a
> message here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws.

Miranda has already been mentioned. Another Alternative is Trillian:
www.trillian.cc

Juergen Nieveler
--
Their sex was so good, even the neighbors lit cigarettes

Variant 01-13-2005 05:06 PM

Re: Instant Messaging

John Hyde <EJHyd@netscape.net> wrote:
> My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
> process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
> I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
> here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
> can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
> client?
>
> Thanks,
> John

GAIM

http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

--
/* - =- = -=-=-=- Variant -=-=-=- = -= - */
/* v a r i a n t @ r o o t s h e l l . b e */

sh4d03 01-14-2005 05:53 AM

Re: Instant Messaging

Variant wrote:
> John Hyde <EJHyd@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
>>process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
>>I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a message
>>here about a replacement that does not suffer from these flaws. But I
>>can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure instant messenger
>>client?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>John

> GAIM
>
> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

I'm a huge fan of GAIM when I'm using my Linux machines (largely as it
is essentially the only 'decent' option). As far as Windows is concerned
as I've already stated Miranda-IM is my favourite so far. This is just
my opinion and yours could well be different. Have a go at the three
applications we've all mentioned and see which one suits your
needs/desires the best.

Sh4d03

John Hyde 01-14-2005 06:30 AM

Re: Instant Messaging

sh4d03 wrote:
> John Hyde wrote:
>
>> My daughter insists on instant messaging using AIM and I am not in the
>> process of cleaning up her system (XP Home).
>> I'm told that AIM is terribly insecure. I also seem to recall a
>> message here about a replacement that does not suffer from these
>> flaws. But I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a secure
>> instant messenger client?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John

> I personally use Miranda-im - this is an application that lets you
> combine many popular chat clients - icq, aim, yahoo, jabber, msn, irc
> and many more. Personally I feel this can be considered a version of
> security via obscurity - i.e. most people do NOT use Miranda - thus are
> not as frequently targetted by attacks.
>
> Furthermore, by what do you mean 'insecure' are you referring to
> insecurity by the people she's talking to? Stalkers etc? Or viruses,
> malware or plain out cracking?
>
> You can find miranda-im at www.miranda-im.org
>
> Sh4d03

Uh, I was talking about viruses, malware, etc. she has some nasties
installed and has no idea how they got there. My suspicions are
explorer exploits, AIM exploits, or just plain stupid surfing.

Fortunately, when one of ber "boyfriends" was trying to send her a file
and he said "hey you guys must have a firewall . . . unplug it"; she
told him to **** off. Maybe she's learning.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

John

David M. Dinner 01-16-2005 09:34 PM

Re: Instant Messaging

While I have never used Miranda-IM I would have to lean my support to
GAIM (gaim.org). The client will use various messaging protocols and is
stable in both the Windows and *Nix environments.

David Michael Dinner <ddinner@obtix.net> 570/947-3110
Owner, Obtix Networks: http://www.obtix.net
Personal Site: http://obtix.org
Public Key: http://www.obtix.net/~ddinner/dmd-pub-key

** INTERNET EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE **
This email contains confidential information which may also be legally
privileged and which is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that reading, forwarding, or copying of this email; or the
taking of any action in reliance on its contents, may be strictly
prohibited.

sh4d03 01-18-2005 07:25 AM

Re: Instant Messaging

David M. Dinner wrote:

> While I have never used Miranda-IM I would have to lean my support to
> GAIM (gaim.org). The client will use various messaging protocols and is
> stable in both the Windows and *Nix environments.
>
> David Michael Dinner <ddinner@obtix.net> 570/947-3110
> Owner, Obtix Networks: http://www.obtix.net
> Personal Site: http://obtix.org
> Public Key: http://www.obtix.net/~ddinner/dmd-pub-key
>

> ** INTERNET EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE **
> This email contains confidential information which may also be legally
> privileged and which is intended only for the use of the recipient(s)
> named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
> notified that reading, forwarding, or copying of this email; or the
> taking of any action in reliance on its contents, may be strictly
> prohibited.
>

> sh4d03 wrote:
> | Variant wrote:

> |> GAIM
> |>
> |> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/
> |>
> | I'm a huge fan of GAIM when I'm using my Linux machines (largely as it
> | is essentially the only 'decent' option). As far as Windows is concerned
> | as I've already stated Miranda-IM is my favourite so far. This is just
> | my opinion and yours could well be different. Have a go at the three
> | applications we've all mentioned and see which one suits your
> | needs/desires the best.
> |
> | Sh4d03

Your opinion is noted and valid. I hold nothing against that, just
venting what I believe to give the most comprehensive reply to the
initial post as possible.

Sh4d03