Velocity Reviews

-   -   Doubled-up security?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306244-doubled-up-security.html)

Livewire 01-04-2005 03:04 PM

Doubled-up security??

I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.

If I encrypt a file using one program

then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program

then encrypt it again using a third program

will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?

Juergen Nieveler 01-04-2005 03:26 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Livewire <livewire_100@N.O.S.P.A.M.hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.
>
> If I encrypt a file using one program
>
> then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program
>
> then encrypt it again using a third program
>

> will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?

Depends totally on what encryption algorithms you use, and how good the
passwords are.

With a good algorithm and a good long passphrase a single encryption
will be sufficient - if it takes longer than the future existence of
the universe to crack the first encryption by brute force, then
additional encryptions are a bit over the top ;-)

Juergen Nieveler
--
Any ship can be a minesweeper... once.

sh4d03 01-04-2005 03:56 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Livewire wrote:

> I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.
>
> If I encrypt a file using one program
>
> then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program
>
> then encrypt it again using a third program
>

> will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?

Also be warned about corrupting your file. If you accidentally try and
de-crypt your file with the wrong order of programs your could rapidly
find yourself trying to re-de-encrypt your file and well... have fun
with that.

Sh4d03

Robsten 01-04-2005 04:14 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Livewire skrev:

> I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.
>
> If I encrypt a file using one program
>
> then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program
>
> then encrypt it again using a third program
>

> will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?

God GUD!!! If you erase the file, no one at all will break into!

--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/

Livewire 01-04-2005 04:43 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

In article <zhzCd.13026$d5.112405@newsb.telia.net>,
robert.tabort.stenkvist@comhem.se says...
> Livewire skrev:
> >
> > I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.
> >
> > If I encrypt a file using one program
> >
> > then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program
> >
> > then encrypt it again using a third program
> >

> > will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?
> >

> God GUD!!! If you erase the file, no one at all will break into!

Well, maybe then I'd get three different file shredders and ask whether
using each of them might be better than just one!!

Not that I'm paranoid or anything . . .

Robsten 01-04-2005 05:16 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Livewire skrev:

> Not that I'm paranoid or anything . . .

Of course not, just normally security. You have the document of the holy
graal on your disc, better to contact Dan Brown.;-)

Robsten 01-04-2005 05:17 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Robsten skrev:
> Livewire skrev:
>

>> Not that I'm paranoid or anything . . .

> Of course not, just normally security. You have the document of the holy
> graal on your disc, better to contact Dan Brown.;-)

Myself? I am too paranoid to use Limewire!

bowgus 01-04-2005 09:45 PM

Re: Doubled-up security??

Why not just use one algorithm, 3 times ... wait a minute :-)

news:MPG.1c44c0f2ae48170d989739@news.eclipse.co.uk ...

nemo outis 01-05-2005 01:47 AM

Re: Doubled-up security??

In article <MPG.1c44c0f2ae48170d989739@news.eclipse.co.uk>,
Livewire <livewire_100@N.O.S.P.A.M.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've got 3 different encryption programs on my computer.
>
>If I encrypt a file using one program
>
>then encrypt the encrypted file again using another program
>
>then encrypt it again using a third program
>

>will it make it three time harder for someone to hack into?

Assuming there are no cross dependencies in the algorithms (and
that the passwords are sufficiently strong and independent) then
sequentially encrypting something with two algorithms of
equivalent strength does indeed make it twice as difficult for
the adversary to decrypt.

However, lest you become too excited about this, note that by
doubling the difficulty you have only added one bit to the
"effective" encryption. That is, if each algorithm was 256-bit
then their use together is equivalent to 257 bits.

Not so impressive when put that way, eh?

RTegards,

bowgus 01-05-2005 03:32 AM

Re: Doubled-up security??

If a key length were say 56 bits, and an algorithm was applied say 3 times,
then effective key length would be 168 bits.