Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306216-zonealarm-and-mozilla-thunderbird.html)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?= 12-29-2004 07:46 AM

ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
Hello All,

I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000

I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to this
version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird will no
longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.

Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really like
ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly going to
stop working as I intend it to?...


Yours Sincerely,
SamuŽl ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

Stan Cook 01-02-2005 06:18 AM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
>
> I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to this
> version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird will no
> longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
>
> Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really like
> ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly going to
> stop working as I intend it to?...
>
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> SamuŽl ML Lison
>

What operating system are you running? I am running
ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
with Win98.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?= 01-02-2005 11:09 AM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
Stan Cook wrote:
> SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
>>
>> I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to this
>> version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird will
>> no longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
>>
>> Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really
>> like ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly going
>> to stop working as I intend it to?...
>>
>>
>> Yours Sincerely,
>> SamuŽl ML Lison
>>

> What operating system are you running? I am running
> ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
> with Win98.


Windows XP Professional here.



Yours Sincerely,
SamuŽl ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

sh4d03 01-02-2005 12:50 PM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
> Stan Cook wrote:
>
>> SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am currently running ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:5.5.062.000
>>>
>>> I know there is an update available but have since rolled back to
>>> this version for the reason that after updating, Mozilla Thunderbird
>>> will no longer connect to my mail server to receive or send e-mails.
>>>
>>> Is there a new setting which I am unaware of causing this? I really
>>> like ZoneAlarm and am a dedicated customer; but if it's suddenly
>>> going to stop working as I intend it to?...
>>>
>>>
>>> Yours Sincerely,
>>> SamuŽl ML Lison
>>>

>> What operating system are you running? I am running
>> ZoneAlarm version:5.5.062.004 with Thunderbird and it's working fine
>> with Win98.

>
>
> Windows XP Professional here.
>
>
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> SamuŽl ML Lison
>


If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security" "features"
which disable third party applications which serve as replacements of
their own.

Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

Sh4d03

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samu=EBl_ML_Lison?= 01-03-2005 12:48 AM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
sh4d03 wrote:
> If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
> around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
> ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
> wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security" "features"
> which disable third party applications which serve as replacements of
> their own.
>
> Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
> ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.


Thanks for the response.

ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
disabled and it was.

I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.

My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.

Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
money permits.



Yours Sincerely,
SamuŽl ML Lison

--
DreamCities.net - A Community for All! (http://www.dreamcities.net)
Contact Me: http://about.dreamcities.net/contact.html

sh4d03 01-03-2005 03:03 AM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
> sh4d03 wrote:
>
>> If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
>> around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
>> ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
>> wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security"
>> "features" which disable third party applications which serve as
>> replacements of their own.
>>
>> Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
>> ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

>
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
> installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
> disabled and it was.
>
> I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
> only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
> be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
> based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.
>
> My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.
>
> Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
> I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
> option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
> money permits.
>
>
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> SamuŽl ML Lison
>


It basically depends on how secure you want your firewall to be. I've
heard many good things about Kerio firewall. ZoneAlarm is defnitely a
highly respected solution and I would investigate into why it was
blocking what you wanted. Maybe contact ZoneAlarm - if you're a paying
customer then you're paying for their support - use it!

If you're paranoid about security and have a spare old pc lying around a
smoothwall or other Linux firewall can be fun to set up and great for
security.

Sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide
assistance to me and wish to E-mail me directly please also feel free to
contact me in this manner. Please ensure you include "Newsgroup_sh4d03"
in the
subject line. Please pay attention to the capitilisation. Emails sent to
this the above address which do NOT contain "Newsgroup_sh4d03" in the
subject line will fail to reach me.
Thanks,
Sh4d03

sh4d03 01-03-2005 03:12 AM

Re: ZoneAlarm & Mozilla Thunderbird
 
SamuŽl ML Lison wrote:
> sh4d03 wrote:
>
>> If you've recently updated to Windows XP SP2 you might want to play
>> around with the built in firewall settings. Perhaps it isn't solely
>> ZoneAlarm that's causing the issues, rather a synthesis of both? It
>> wouldn't be the first time Microsoft have embedded "security"
>> "features" which disable third party applications which serve as
>> replacements of their own.
>>
>> Disable the XP firewall if you haven't already. I don't actually know
>> ZoneAlarm all that well myself - just trying to give any advice I can.

>
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> ZoneAlarm automatically disabled the built in Windows Firewall upon
> installation. I have also checked to see if windows firewall was
> disabled and it was.
>
> I have done a google search on the matter and it seems that I am not the
> only one with this problem since updating ZoneAlarm. Seems that it may
> be something to do with SP2 also, as a lot of the search results were
> based around SP2 and ZoneAlarm.
>
> My method of fixing was to completely remove ZoneAlarm.
>
> Do you know of any other good software based firewall worth mentioning?
> I *was* a paying customer for ZoneAlarm, but finding a better, free
> option is the way I am going for all of my software, and donating as
> money permits.
>
>
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> SamuŽl ML Lison
>

I'd be interested in whatever you find out because I've just learnt that
a friend of mine has ZoneAlarm and now Mozilla Firefox isn't working -
he however uses Windows 2k.

Sh4d03

--
If you require more assistance or if my suggestion works please E-mail me at
sh4d03 [at] TPG [dot] com [dot] au. Additionally, if you are able to provide
assistance to me and wish to E-mail me directly please also feel free to
contact me in this manner. Please ensure you include "Newsgroup_sh4d03"
in the
subject line. Please pay attention to the capitilisation. Emails sent to
this the above address which do NOT contain "Newsgroup_sh4d03" in the
subject line will fail to reach me.
Thanks,
Sh4d03


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.