Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can't open hosts file on xp! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306163-cant-open-hosts-file-on-xp.html)

Tim Lister 12-08-2004 12:42 AM

Can't open hosts file on xp!

Firstly, as a seasoned lurker here can I just thank the people who
regularly contribute helping us average Joe's learn a little about pc
security! I've learned more by just hanging around this part of Usenet
than from anywhere else & it's always interesting to see the real world
examples of problems & solutions as well as pick up pointers for reading
about the issues involved, so thanks guys for taking the time!
I'm presently a little worried as my xp machine has two glitches
that are concerning me, which may be totally irrelevant or not, so I was
hoping that somebody could advise me about them? Firstly, let me say
that I consider myself to be reasonably adept at protecting my machine
for an average user, regularly running Ad-aware & Spybot, Sophos
anti-virus for xp & using Zone alarm on my cable modem connection but
have discovered that I cannot open my xp hosts file; it crashes explorer
if I try to read it using notepad (something called drop2.exe appears to
shut down the explorer shell!). I also appear to have an entry in
msconfig with no title, nothing in the command field & a registry key of
SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run (no hive!-is that the
right term for the main root branch of the registry?) which doesn't seem
to have an entry under any of the usual keys within either
HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE! I can't see anything unusual in
Process Explorer, by which I mean that there's nothing that strikes me
as being obviously new in there, but as I said, I'm no expert at
interpreting these things & nothing is thrown up by the other security
apps on my machine! I would greatly appreciate some advice on whether
these things are worth worrying about or investigating further? Thanks
in advance for any help or advice given!

David H. Lipman 12-08-2004 01:13 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

The following sounds like a self preservation technique "...I cannot open my xp hosts file;
it crashes explorer ..."

Please perform the following...

1) Download the following four items...

McAfee Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend Pattern File.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
If you have a previous version, remove it and replace it with Adaware SE.
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download Sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt285.zip

sysclean.com.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDoc...SysRestore.htm
4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
5) Using Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using the three
utilities; Trend Sysclean, Stinger and Adaware
7) If you are using WinME or WinXP, Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
8) Reboot your PC.
9) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

* * * Please report your results ! * * *

Dave

"Tim Lister" <t.lister4Spammenot@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.whatdidIs ayaboutspam?.com> wrote in
message news:z5std.877$rI3.325@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...

donnie 12-08-2004 01:14 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 00:42:07 GMT, Tim Lister
wrote:

>Thanks
>in advance for any help or advice given!

############################
Looking in those 2 places in the registry is exactly what I would have
done. Check those again to be sure that there is nothing there. It
may not be the exact name that you see in msconfig. Have you disabled
it in msconfig? Try to copy the hosts file to a floopy and open it on
another machine. Also, check the event viewer and any other log
files.
You didn't mention if ti was XP Pro or Home and what service pack.
There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.
donnie

David H. Lipman 12-08-2004 01:33 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

You have heard mis-information. When SP2 is installed on a malware clean PC. It works just
fine. When it is installed on a PC with malware then there are troubles. Those who have
troubles are just more vocal than those (like myself) that haven't experienced *any*
problems.

I have it installed on numerous platforms and varying models from Dell, IBM, Sony, Gateway,
etc...

Dave

..

Leythos 12-08-2004 01:54 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

In article <z5std.877$rI3.325@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>,
t.lister4Spammenot@ntlworldNoSpamPle...aboutspam?.com
says...
> I'm presently a little worried as my xp machine has two glitches
> that are concerning me, which may be totally irrelevant or not, so I was
> hoping that somebody could advise me about them? Firstly, let me say
> that I consider myself to be reasonably adept at protecting my machine
> for an average user, regularly running Ad-aware & Spybot, Sophos
> anti-virus for xp & using Zone alarm on my cable modem connection but

If you have a cable modem you need to get a ROUTER that does NAT, this
one thing will be more valuable than ANY PERSONAL FIREWALL that you
install and manage in protecting your computer.

> have discovered that I cannot open my xp hosts file; it crashes explorer
> if I try to read it using notepad (something called drop2.exe appears to
> shut down the explorer shell!). I also appear to have an entry in
> msconfig with no title, nothing in the command field & a registry key of
> SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run (no hive!-is that the
> right term for the main root branch of the registry?) which doesn't seem
> to have an entry under any of the usual keys within either
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE! I can't see anything unusual in
> Process Explorer, by which I mean that there's nothing that strikes me
> as being obviously new in there, but as I said, I'm no expert at
> interpreting these things & nothing is thrown up by the other security
> apps on my machine! I would greatly appreciate some advice on whether
> these things are worth worrying about or investigating further? Thanks
> in advance for any help or advice given!

At this point you've been compromised. Drop2.exe is most likely a fake
name for the trojan/virus, and that means that either you are not
keeping your updates current, our your AV/Spyware software is being
bypassed by it.

To be honest, there is no reasonable, safe, sure-fire, method to clean
your computer. At this point, I would save all your important documents,
word, excel, quicken, etc... Burn them to CD/DVD. Then I would insert
the XP CD and wipe/reinstall XP after completely removing the old XP.

You need to get the ROUTER/NAT BEFORE you reinstall XP on your computer,
and then, the very first thing you install after XP should be SP2.

If you want to TRY and remove the crap infecting your machine, download
a new copy of AdAware SE and updates, then get the 1.3 version of SpyBot
Search and Destroy, then get a fresh copy of Norton Antivirus 2004 -
download the AV update (not using Live Update) and save it. Put these on
a CDR and reboot in safe mode. Once in safe mode, run AdAware SE, then
SpyBot, then reboot in safe mode again, then install NAV2004, apply the
update file, run a full system scan. While this may not clean your
computer completely, if it doesn't then all you have left is to
format/reinstall.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

donnie 12-09-2004 12:54 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 01:33:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>You have heard mis-information. When SP2 is installed on a malware clean PC. It works just
>fine. When it is installed on a PC with malware then there are troubles. Those who have
>troubles are just more vocal than those (like myself) that haven't experienced *any*
>problems.
>
>I have it installed on numerous platforms and varying models from Dell, IBM, Sony, Gateway,
>etc...
>
>Dave

##############################
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5311280.html

Security Windows XP Microsoft Corp
"Microsoft has issued a list of nearly 50 software applications and
games that may encounter problems with its Windows XP Service Pack 2
update."

Then where does all that come from?
donnie

David H. Lipman 12-09-2004 01:08 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use a
broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".

A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of Win2K
SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.

winged 12-09-2004 01:46 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
a clean (wiped system)

Dave, you still processing SETI? ;-)

Winged

David H. Lipman 12-09-2004 02:50 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

Yes still a SETI phan... as of right now...

19448 WUs
5.569 years processing WUs

I hope to make 20K by Jan 1, 05. :-)
I did not go BOINC

As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
Windows OS.
When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.

Dave

winged 12-09-2004 03:48 AM

Re: Can't open hosts file on xp!

I thought that was you, we talked before, I am the guy 3 below you on
the team page...lol i gotz some catching to do I might make 15K units by
then. Funny how strange minds work..lol
Winged