Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I know my Virus scanner is working? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t306049-how-do-i-know-my-virus-scanner-is-working.html)

Rocky 11-06-2004 06:18 PM

How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus off a
newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

Leythos 11-06-2004 06:35 PM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

In article <Vz8jd.16090$As5.12350@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
yr@tampabay.rr.com says...
> Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
> working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus off a
> newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
> updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
> Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

I've found that McAfee does little to protect systems. If you didn't
register on-line with them, then you're not updated properly.

You might want to try AVG free version, or get Norton Antivirus 2005.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Ken 11-06-2004 06:39 PM

"Rocky" <yr@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Vz8jd.16090$As5.12350@tornado.tampabay.rr.com ...
> Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0)
> isn't working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download
> a virus off a newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I
> have everything updated and haven't made any changes to my system.
> Is there a site like Shields UP that will test your Virus
> protection?? Thanks!

Hey Rocky,
Add this to your arsenal of anti-spyware, virus detection software,
it's free. I'm running this through the ringers to test it, so far
so good. Read up!

http://www1.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp

Ken

Rocky 11-06-2004 06:44 PM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

I'll check it out, thanks. I came upon this site, and downloaded the test
files, Mcafee flagged them right away, I guess I just keep a clean system,
that's why I don't get any virus alerts. :)
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Rodney Kelp 11-06-2004 07:34 PM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

I think AVG is no longer free. They have a 30 day trial then you have to
buy. There is another German virus program called AntiVir that is still
free.

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> In article <Vz8jd.16090$As5.12350@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> yr@tampabay.rr.com says...
> > Hello. I have a feeling my virus scanner (Mcafee Virus scan 8.0) isn't
> > working. Everything is loaded and working fine, but I download a virus

off a
> > newsgroup and when I scanned, it didn't pick it up. I have everything
> > updated and haven't made any changes to my system. Is there a site like
> > Shields UP that will test your Virus protection?? Thanks!

> I've found that McAfee does little to protect systems. If you didn't
> register on-line with them, then you're not updated properly.
>
> You might want to try AVG free version, or get Norton Antivirus 2005.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

---

Mike 11-06-2004 11:52 PM

Rodney Kelp wrote:
> I think AVG is no longer free.

Don't think - Know! They are currently working on a new version for free
release.

Visit http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Last item on the left hand menu.

Rodney Kelp 11-08-2004 02:51 AM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

The reason I THINK that is that is all that was offered at their web site.
But that don't make it law. As of yeaterday there was no free version. I
think but I don't know. Do you know you will be alive tomorrow? Don't know,
think it.

news:418d63c4$0$92027$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net ...

Eric 11-08-2004 04:23 AM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

Most antivirus scanner are working fine, just whether they provide false
alarms or do not have update signatures to pick up new virus. Good antivirus
software has fast engine, use less memory and provide accurate information
to catach a real virus. (Just a reminder, every vendors name virus with
different names)

You may test several different online virus scanners to see their different.
http://www.xstudio.ca/pcsupport/secu...nlineVirusScan

johns 11-08-2004 08:19 AM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

How do you know you dl'd a virus? Weird that you
think you did, but did not detect it. Was it a virus, or
was it spyware?

johns

Freda 11-08-2004 01:17 PM

Re: How do I know my Virus scanner is working?

AVG version support will cease
BUT a new FREE version will shortly be available
go to www.grisoft.com and read it for yourself.
Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake