Velocity Reviews

-   -   desktop access (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305981-desktop-access.html)

Ronald Smyth 10-20-2004 06:27 PM

desktop access

Is there a way to limit access to people on a ordinary Windows XP PC? I have
seen for example public libraries with Internet access on their pc's that
have about 3 icons displayed (Internet Explorer, MS Office and something
else) on the desktop. All the buttons on the start menu are grayed out.

KG6VQE 10-21-2004 09:19 PM

Re: desktop access

You can do that with Policies. If they are part of a doman, then you must
use "GROUP POLICIES", and make Group Policy Objects. The local Policies let
you limit wha a user can do....But on a stand alone XP machine, you limite
what everyone can do, except Administrator.

Ronald Smyth 10-22-2004 02:29 AM

Re: desktop access

It seems that group policies only work with XP professional edition. I have
the home edition.
I tried this link and Windows told me that only professional edition can
carry this out.

I can open the mmc program but I can't add users and groups.

news:LJVdd.8603$6q2.4366@newssvr14.news.prodigy.co m...