Velocity Reviews

-   -   Mcafee scam software (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305949-mcafee-scam-software.html)

Solomon Grundy 10-10-2004 02:38 AM

Mcafee scam software

I've got mcafee spam killer. It never worked and I've since reset my
Outlook Express settings but I am continually blocked from accessing my
email. I think Mcafee has left some junk somewhere. How do I get the
crap mcafee left behind off my machine so I can read my emails?

David H. Lipman 10-10-2004 02:44 AM

Re: Mcafee scam software

Ask here...

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Dave

news:Xg1ad.19797$zA3.3383371@twister.southeast.rr. com...

jonny 10-10-2004 08:50 AM

Re: Mcafee scam software

Try this.
Tools /Options/Security
Then unclick the box Do not allow attachments to be opened that could
potentially be a virus.

me 10-10-2004 02:55 PM

Re: Mcafee scam software

Did you use the uninstaller that came with Spamkiller? How did you
uninstall it? Though some applications will leave residual programs in
memory, and on the hard disk when uninstalled--my personal experience with
Mcafee products has been that when you use the uninstaller provided it
usually does a really good job of uninstalling the program properly, such
that residual programs aren't left.

If you are wanting to know if there is anything left of SpamKiller(assuming
you don't have other Mcafee products installed) go to Start\Run and type in
MSCONFIG go to STARTUP and look to see if Spamkiller left anything that
automatically loads at boot. Anything that automatically starts up and
loads when the machine boots will or (should) show here, though there are a
couple other places you can set applications to automatically load this is
the first place to look. If you find anything left of spamkiller you have a
few options. First, use the Windows Add/Remove programs to see if you can
get it that way. The options next become more serious and potentially
dangerous to the machine if something goes wrong. First you can go to the
file location listed in the STARTUP menu and physically delete the file(s)
left--not much of a problem there unless other mcafee applications depend on
them, and second you can go into the Windows Registry and locate the key(s)
for spamkiller and delete them from the registry, IF you corrupt your
registry and have not made any good restore points prior to this then you
will be faced with a complete reinstall unless you have a backup of your
registry available and handy, and your final option would be a system
restore to an earlier point prior to installing spamkiller--NOT an option IF
you want to keep any current settings because any changes you have made
since THAT restore point(any applications you have installed, any hardware,
any drivers, any anything) will be gone. Those are a few options available
to you.

Solomon Grundy 10-10-2004 08:56 PM

Re: Mcafee scam software

Hmm. Interesting. I removed the spamkiller and found the problems remain.

I did a full scan (with McAfee antivirus) and found something called
PassDump.b. My question is why did McAfee allow it to execute? It seems
to have changed my email passwords.

David H. Lipman 10-10-2004 09:16 PM

Re: Mcafee scam software

Please try the following...

1) Download the following two items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download sysclean.com and place it in that directory.
Dowload the signature files (pattern files) by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt192.zip

sysclean.com.

2) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore
http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDoc...SysRestore.htm
3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode
4) Using the Trend Sysclean utility, perform a Full Scan of your platform and
clean/delete any infectors found
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
6) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),
7) Reboot your PC.
8) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point
9) Please report back your results

news:Alhad.56113$ci3.3224322@twister.southeast.rr. com...

me 10-10-2004 10:41 PM

Re: Mcafee scam software

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_119903.htm

read this link to the Mcafee AVERT website.