Velocity Reviews

-   -   Stopping kids accessing sites? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305621-stopping-kids-accessing-sites.html)

Neil Hindry 07-15-2004 11:05 AM

Stopping kids accessing sites?

I wonder if you can help me. I have a friend and her son is using the
internet to look at unsuitable WebPages.

Can you recommend some software that will stop children viewing unsuitable
websites?
I know there is software around like Net Nanny but I do not know which is
the best.

If possible could you recommend some free software and also some software
that has to be purchased so we have a choice of buying or using free?

I hope someone can help.

I appreciate any information and help given.

Thanks!

Kleeb 07-15-2004 12:52 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

On 2004-07-15, Neil Hindry <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> schrieb:
> I wonder if you can help me. I have a friend and her son is using the
> internet to look at unsuitable WebPages.

You shouldn't use technology to make up for lack of parental skill.

If you install some snake-oil Net-Nanny-a-like software, chances are your
son, sorry, her son, will see it as a challenge to get around.

Ask him what he thinks the best software is. He appears to know more than
you.

Cordially,

Kleeb.

"If you think technology can solve your security problems, then you don't
understand the problems, and you don't understand the technology."

*Vanguard* 07-15-2004 02:13 PM

Neil Hindry said in news:40f66cb2$1$7811$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk:
> I wonder if you can help me. I have a friend and her son is using the
> internet to look at unsuitable WebPages.
>
> Can you recommend some software that will stop children viewing
> unsuitable websites?
> I know there is software around like Net Nanny but I do not know
> which is the best.
>
> If possible could you recommend some free software and also some
> software that has to be purchased so we have a choice of buying or
> using free?
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> I appreciate any information and help given.
>
> Thanks!

Download the free trials. CyperPatrol has a 14-day trial. Didn't see a free trial version of NetNanny (which makes you have to wonder why they don't want you to see their product before throwing your money away).

Note that if the computer to which the kid has access is also the computer where the censorship software is install then the kid will probably find a means of circumventing that software. Google searchs will probably reveal sites where there are articles on how to defeat censorship software. For example, the kid could find where to get a copy of the "cphack" program that defeats CyberPatrol (I don't know if this is still an effective hack since I don't use censorware and I'm not into hacking). You will need to install the censorship software on an upstream host from the one that the kid has physical access to, like a gateway host. Then lock it up so the kid cannot get to that gateway host (and the physical connection, like the router or cable/dsl modem must be on that gateway host and also locked up away from physical access to the kid doesn't simply use a patch cable to bypass the gateway host).

Do Google searchs on "CyberPatrol" or "censorware" and you'll find sites with reviews, and often they will include reviews of other products. For example, I found http://www.peacefire.org/censorware/ and http://censorware.net/. Even web sites that are anti-censorware will give you some ideas of what products are out there and probably note their efficacy.

Jim Watt 07-15-2004 04:23 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:05:51 +0100, "Neil Hindry"
<n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I wonder if you can help me. I have a friend and her son is using the
>internet to look at unsuitable WebPages.

Obviously he thinks they are suitable. The more you try and
stop him the more interesting they become. If you have to ask
the question chances are that the kid knows more about
computers and the Internet and will defeat any 'censorware'

Look at the problem differently.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Robin T Cox 07-15-2004 05:53 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

"Neil Hindry" <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in

> Can you recommend some software that will stop children viewing
> unsuitable websites?

You can use IE-SPYAD with MS Internet Explorer to block access to adult
sites. See:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

*Vanguard* 07-16-2004 04:03 AM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

"Robin T Cox" <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote in news:Xns9527B60D99C61ARtodfjpasmlklk8979j@62.253.1 62.202:
> "Neil Hindry" <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Can you recommend some software that will stop children viewing
>> unsuitable websites?
>>

> You can use IE-SPYAD with MS Internet Explorer to block access to
> adult sites. See:
> https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

Based on that site's description of IE-SpyAd, images will NOT be blocked. Neither will *access* to those sites get blocked. Placing a domain in the Restricted Sites security zone does NOT bar you from visiting that site. For example, add "*.yahoo.com" to the Restricted Sites zone. Now open your browser to http://images.search.yahoo.com/. Did you get blocked from going there? No. Now search on "cars". Did being in the Restricted Sites zone prevent seeing the images of cars? No. It only prevents what behavior that site can effect in your browser regarding ActiveX, scripting, downloads, and other settings which can be readily viewed in the settings for the Restricted Sites zone. None of those settings will block *access* to that site, and none of those settings block images. There is a separate advanced option "Show pictures" that you can disable, and maybe it can be enforced using a group policy but that requires using an NT-based version of Windows to have policies.

If OP's friend who is the mother of the bishop-stroking kid is using a non-securable 95-based version of Windows, forget about using registry settings and hosts files to block site access. I suppose there may be 3rd party security software that loads before windows, like SafeBoot, that can enforce the security that Windows 9x lacks but after you figure the money that you would spend on it ($50 for the Solo version, they don't list the price for their Pro version) then it might be smarter to spend it towards an NT-based flavor of Windows.

johns 07-16-2004 06:14 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

> You shouldn't use technology to make up for lack of parental skill.

An interesting dilemma. I have to do this in a school setting
.... and I do. But it is a major hack to accomplish and the
kids not be able to undo it. Mine has been up for 2 years
now, and so far nobody has broken it .. and they have
tried everything, including getting me fired :-) My solution
is simple and works totally, and yet there is no way I
could instruct this woman in how to do it at home. She
would never understand the details. Too bad. I use an
"allow list" around a dummy proxy, and gpedit Nscape,
etc to block them. I can update the list on the fly as
needed for classes, and I maintain an html doc of allowed
links. Google is allowed, so "research" can go on, but
I get to examine any link update request before I "allow"
it. Call that my "parental skill", and I apply it with vigor.
Note: it does not cost one penny to implement. Maybe
somebody could write a program that automated
this process for home use ??

johns

Lawrence Rodis 07-17-2004 05:35 AM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

Try http://www.we-blocker.com/ it's not perfect but it is free. Also you
might want to use spectorsoft so you can capture his sessions and play them
back.

--
Regards,

Lawrence A. Rodis

Thund3rstruck_n0i 07-17-2004 03:31 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

Neil Hindry spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<40f66cb2$1$7811$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>
<snip>
> If possible could you recommend some free software and also some software
> that has to be purchased so we have a choice of buying or using free?
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> I appreciate any information and help given.

IMO, any software one uses might cause the kid to try to defeat it. The
only way to stop this is constant supervision while online...aka sitting
there next to them...

Just my $.02 tho...

NOI

Beachcomber 07-17-2004 08:59 PM

Re: Stopping kids accessing sites?

> IMO, any software one uses might cause the kid to try to defeat it. The
>only way to stop this is constant supervision while online...aka sitting
>there next to them...
>
> Just my $.02 tho...
>
> NOI

Agreed... You can't keep kids from knowing that this stuff exists.
All they have to do is go to the house of one of their friends with an
unblocked internet connection and they will see and be even more
curious about everything you have been trying to hide from them.

Parents in Europe seem to be more sophisticated about teaching their
children in a semi-open environment of pornography, alchohol, and
other temptations. Somehow the kids still turn out to be
well-adjusted, worldwise, and responsible to deal with both the
challenges and dangers of the world.

In the USA, the puritanical adults who are putting the "Net Nanny"s on
their machines are fooling themselves if they think that they can keep
kids away from this stuff and are probably more interested in hiding
this reality from themselves.

Also, no self-respecting kid with any intelligence is going to put up
for long with attempts at adult censorship, when the opportunity to
beat your system is present. These are the very kids who, later in
life, will organize the start-ups and become future leaders in the
global information economy.

Beachcomber