Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   trojans (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305540-trojans.html)

news 06-27-2004 09:49 AM

trojans
 
Can any trojan install itsellf if we just visit a website? I know Explorer
is weak here so i use Firefox instead. Is it still possible?

Thanks



jason 06-27-2004 10:21 AM

Re: trojans
 
It depends on what you are doing on the site, if it is a music or software
type it will always say something like "click to accept" or "you must click
here first" - kickme.to/fosi is an example of that. If you use Mozilla it
gets shut of all the rubbish, just close the pop-up window and go straight
to the download. Never accept or agree to anything on that site.
If any site requires you to click on pop-up windows or states you must
download and install software FIRST (such as anti-leech) or even lower your
security settings/turn firewall off, then don't even go near it.
You will find it is nothing more than a site that has NO content, just lists
of lists of other sites. They go around in endless loops, link via cash
generators and rip-off companies that think people are viewing their
adverts!
I use FIREFOX for that kind of site, but sites with any real content that
you can just click on to download are few and far between now.
Files can't install themselves, you have to be tricked into allowing them to
be installed!
Run a virus killer, adaware etc and remember - if a site looks too good to
be true - it probably is.
A lot of people in the UK were caught out when they found that clicking on
things on websites meant they had installed a premium rate dialler. So they
got massive phone bills, then all innocently said, "I was out, I don't know
how it happened". What they never said or agreed to was having their
computers examined to see which porno,music,software, other illegal sites
they have been using - so they can hardly complain and pretend they didn't
do anything wrong!
They all claim to be innocent now which is funny.


"news" <geerge@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kKwDc.96996$dP1.320623@newsc.telia.net...
> Can any trojan install itsellf if we just visit a website? I know Explorer
> is weak here so i use Firefox instead. Is it still possible?
>
> Thanks
>
>



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.711 / Virus Database: 467 - Release Date: 25/06/2004



news 06-27-2004 12:18 PM

Re: trojans
 

"jason" <jas@kto.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:U5yDc.37$qT5.31@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> It depends on what you are doing on the site, if it is a music or software
> type it will always say something like "click to accept" or "you must

click
> here first" - kickme.to/fosi is an example of that. If you use Mozilla it
> gets shut of all the rubbish, just close the pop-up window and go straight
> to the download. Never accept or agree to anything on that site.
> If any site requires you to click on pop-up windows or states you must
> download and install software FIRST (such as anti-leech) or even lower

your
> security settings/turn firewall off, then don't even go near it.
> You will find it is nothing more than a site that has NO content, just

lists
> of lists of other sites. They go around in endless loops, link via cash
> generators and rip-off companies that think people are viewing their
> adverts!
> I use FIREFOX for that kind of site, but sites with any real content that
> you can just click on to download are few and far between now.
> Files can't install themselves, you have to be tricked into allowing them

to
> be installed!
> Run a virus killer, adaware etc and remember - if a site looks too good to
> be true - it probably is.
> A lot of people in the UK were caught out when they found that clicking on
> things on websites meant they had installed a premium rate dialler. So

they
> got massive phone bills, then all innocently said, "I was out, I don't

know
> how it happened". What they never said or agreed to was having their
> computers examined to see which porno,music,software, other illegal sites
> they have been using - so they can hardly complain and pretend they didn't
> do anything wrong!
> They all claim to be innocent now which is funny.
>




But i read that recently there were some kind of spyware/trojan from Russia
that were installed on Yahoo visitors computer. A firewall could not stop
it. The spyware sent out information about bank account passwords.

Apparently only those who used Explorer were targeted. Perhaps itīs all
about security settings!?





Bit Twister 06-27-2004 12:55 PM

Re: trojans
 
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:18:43 GMT, news wrote:
>
> But i read that recently there were some kind of spyware/trojan from Russia


"Berbew" trojan

> that were installed on Yahoo visitors computer.


I kind of doubt it was caught from Yahoo.com. They are using Freebsd
servers and the exploit was cause by a worm infecting the Microsoft's
IIS servers using one of the multiple known IIS vulnerabilities.

> A firewall could not stop
> it. The spyware sent out information about bank account passwords.


Firewall does not stop what is being brought to you by your browser.

The Anti-virus software is the one to catch it, if it is not a day one
virus and you have the very virus lastest database update.

news 06-27-2004 01:59 PM

Re: trojans
 

"Bit Twister" <BitTwister@localhost.localdomain> skrev i meddelandet
news:slrncdtgtt.mut.BitTwister@wb.home.invalid...
> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:18:43 GMT, news wrote:
> >
> > But i read that recently there were some kind of spyware/trojan from

Russia
>
> "Berbew" trojan
>
> > that were installed on Yahoo visitors computer.

>
> I kind of doubt it was caught from Yahoo.com. They are using Freebsd
> servers and the exploit was cause by a worm infecting the Microsoft's
> IIS servers using one of the multiple known IIS vulnerabilities.
>
> > A firewall could not stop
> > it. The spyware sent out information about bank account passwords.

>
> Firewall does not stop what is being brought to you by your browser.
>
> The Anti-virus software is the one to catch it, if it is not a day one
> virus and you have the very virus lastest database update.




Perhaps Process guard. Abtrusion trotector or TDS-3 will work for these new
ones?



Chuck 06-27-2004 03:03 PM

Re: trojans
 
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:49:04 GMT, "news" <geerge@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Can any trojan install itsellf if we just visit a website? I know Explorer
>is weak here so i use Firefox instead. Is it still possible?
>
>Thanks


The details are here:
<http://isc.sans.org/> (Check the articles under Relevant Links).
Chuck
Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Mike 06-27-2004 04:10 PM

Re: trojans
 
Bit Twister wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 12:18:43 GMT, news wrote:
>
>>But i read that recently there were some kind of spyware/trojan from Russia

>
>
> "Berbew" trojan
>
>
>>that were installed on Yahoo visitors computer.

>
>
> I kind of doubt it was caught from Yahoo.com. They are using Freebsd
> servers and the exploit was cause by a worm infecting the Microsoft's
> IIS servers using one of the multiple known IIS vulnerabilities.
>
>
>>A firewall could not stop
>>it. The spyware sent out information about bank account passwords.

>
>
> Firewall does not stop what is being brought to you by your browser.


<Cough> Watchguard <Cough>


Mimic 06-28-2004 12:38 AM

Re: trojans
 
"news" <geerge@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:DWyDc.97000$dP1.320622@newsc.telia.net...

> But i read that recently there were some kind of spyware/trojan from

Russia
> that were installed on Yahoo visitors computer. A firewall could not stop
> it. The spyware sent out information about bank account passwords.
>
> Apparently only those who used Explorer were targeted. Perhaps itīs all
> about security settings!?
>
>
>
>


Youre far to coherent to be tracker ;P

--
Mimic

Social Engineering - Because theres no patch for human stupidity.
ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
"Without knowledge you have fear. With fear you create your own nightmares."
"He who controls Google, controls the world".




madmax 06-28-2004 02:08 AM

Re: trojans
 
news wrote:

> Can any trojan install itsellf if we just visit a website? I know Explorer
> is weak here so i use Firefox instead. Is it still possible?
>
> Thanks
>
>

check here
http://www.digicrime.com/noprivacy.html
Very interesting
-max

--
To help you stay safe see:
http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
This message is virus free as far as I can tell.
Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply
(nomail.afraid.org has been set up specifically for
use in Usenet. Feel free to use it yourself.)

johns 06-28-2004 07:45 AM

Re: trojans
 

> check here
> http://www.digicrime.com/noprivacy.html
> Very interesting
> -max


Not funny Max! I just reported this sight to
the Feds as malicious. If this site is trying to
prove something, then it had damn well better
be careful in how it presents itself.

johns




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.