Velocity Reviews

-   -   testing ports through network (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305437-testing-ports-through-network.html)

Billy K 05-29-2004 11:14 AM

testing ports through network

I need a method of testing ports from inside a network. I currently do not
have control of the routers at work, however I am instructing the guys to
have certain ports closed. How do I test this has been done?

I have used telnet with hosts, but this is through a series of routers which
I may maynot have the IP addresses. Any ideas?

Bit Tamer 05-29-2004 12:17 PM

Re: testing ports through network

Take a look at the nmap tool. www.insecure.org Nice and simple port
scanner.

Nessus, mentioned in the other post, does port scanning using nmap, along
with many more security tests.

Bit Tamer

Billy K 05-29-2004 03:39 PM

Re: testing ports through network

This isn't a host I am scanning though. What address do I enter to be
scanned?

I am trying to find out which ports can leave my network, out to the
Internet. Example, which programs my users can use to connect outbound.
Would a port scanner still do the job?

If this was a host I was checking I would most definately be using a port
scanner, but I am not sure what I am dealing with as it could be a router,
proxy or some kind of firewall which I don't know the address. I just need
to know which ports my users have open to them.

Bit Tamer 05-29-2004 10:25 PM

Re: testing ports through network

Hmmm, you are "instructing the guys to have certain ports closed"...? If you
have specific ports you want closed, then allow me to read between the lines
and assume there is some specific activity you don't want happening on the
network. If you are prohibiting certain activity (outbound connections) then
why not just attempt to do the prohibited activity yourself and see if it
works?

Having said that, however, the topology of your internal network may support
multiple egress points, so while something may/may not work for you, other
internal users may get different results. Perhaps what you really need is a
rigorous change management process to control over the firewall/router
configs...

XC4-886-91-C 05-30-2004 11:50 AM

http://www.nessus.org/

XC4-886-91-C 05-30-2004 05:15 PM

Billy K wrote:

> This isn't a host I am scanning though. What address do I enter to be
> scanned?
>
> I am trying to find out which ports can leave my network, out to the
> Internet. Example, which programs my users can use to connect outbound.
> Would a port scanner still do the job?

No!

> If this was a host I was checking I would most definately be using a port
> scanner, but I am not sure what I am dealing with as it could be a router,
> proxy or some kind of firewall which I don't know the address. I just
> need to know which ports my users have open to them.

If you're the network admin than you should know the address. If you're
worried about spoofing/proxies/etc. than you can catch those packets from
your network using Dsniff.

http://monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

If you're not the network admin - Keep in mind that dsniff has about a
hundred in one ways to get you in BAD FREAKING TROUBLE!