Velocity Reviews

-   -   Way to block one website address? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305417-way-to-block-one-website-address.html)

Louise 05-26-2004 03:14 AM

Way to block one website address?

I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
switch.

I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.

Can this be done?

TIA

Louise

Colonel Flagg 05-26-2004 05:52 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

In article <MPG.1b1dd597ba0563c79896d8@news.newsguy.com>,
none@nospam.com says...
> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
> switch.
>
> I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
> the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
>
> Can this be done?
>
> TIA
>
> Louise

hosts file in windows.

whereas badsite=127.0.0.1

research the rest for yourself.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Martin 05-26-2004 06:37 AM

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b1dd597ba0563c79896d8@news.newsguy.com.. .
> I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
> switch.
>
> I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
> the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
>
> Can this be done?

have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
127.0.0.1

cheers

Louise 05-27-2004 04:16 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

In article <c91dvs$h1p$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
martin_nospam@btinternet.com says...

> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1b1dd597ba0563c79896d8@news.newsguy.com.. .
> > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
> > switch.
> >
> > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
> > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
> >
> > Can this be done?

> have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
> 127.0.0.1
>
> cheers
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Louise

Thanks - didn't know about doing that.

Louise

Colonel Flagg 05-27-2004 08:09 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

In article <MPG.1b1f35b69039601a9896da@news.newsguy.com>,
none@nospam.com says...
> In article <c91dvs$h1p$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
> martin_nospam@btinternet.com says...
> >
> > "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > news:MPG.1b1dd597ba0563c79896d8@news.newsguy.com.. .
> > > I am using Sygate Personal Firewall, 5.5, but would be willing to
> > > switch.
> > >
> > > I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
> > > the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
> > >
> > > Can this be done?

> > have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
> > 127.0.0.1
> >
> > cheers
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > Louise

> Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
>
> Louise

I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
I don't receive a thanks?

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

zz 05-27-2004 10:20 AM

Louise wrote:

>>>I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
>>>the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
>>>
>>>Can this be done?

>>have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
>>127.0.0.1
>>
>>cheers
>>

> Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
>
> Louise

Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.

g-w

Martin 05-27-2004 11:04 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

"Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:MPG.1b1f6c515259c52a989dbe@news.charter.net.. .

> I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
> I don't receive a thanks?

I was annoyed when I saw yours, there were no replys when I posted or I
wouldn't have posted the same thing twice. It's probably our NNTP server,
it's not the fastest updating in the world :(

Louise 05-28-2004 05:05 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

In article <MPG.1b1f6c515259c52a989dbe@news.charter.net>,
colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org says...
> In article <MPG.1b1f35b69039601a9896da@news.newsguy.com>,
> none@nospam.com says...
> > In article <c91dvs$h1p$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
> > martin_nospam@btinternet.com says...
> > >
> > > "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > news:MPG.1b1dd597ba0563c79896d8@news.newsguy.com.. .

> > > have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
> > > 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > cheers

> > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
> >
> > Louise
> >

> I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
> I don't receive a thanks?

A VERY BIG THANKS - sometimes I read something and have the wrong
message on the screen when I reply :-)

But a serious thanks - I think the community of generosity on newsgroups
is one of the most precious things about the web.

Louise

Louise 05-28-2004 05:07 AM

Re: Way to block one website address?

In article <Lhjtc.15221$eH1.6748214@newssvr28.news.prodigy.co m>,
zz@nospam.com says...

> >>have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
> >>127.0.0.1
> >>
> >>cheers
> >>

> > Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
> >
> > Louise

> Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
> to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
> listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
> Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.
>
> g-w

Thanks - it's definitely the way to go in the future.

Louise

Steven V.A. 05-28-2004 08:06 PM

Re: Way to block one website address?

Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>Thanks - it's definitely the way to go in the future.

Grab a premade hostsfile from www.pricelessware.org
(the internet category I believe)

HTH
Steven
---
A White Sailboat...Raging Waters...A Golden Inca Temple...
And a Great Earthquake...A Giant Condor That Wheels In The Sky...
The Mysterious Cities of Gold: // http://www.themysteriouscitiesofgold.com //