Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firewall question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305357-firewall-question.html)

J 05-09-2004 05:41 PM

Firewall question

I wonder if someone can answer a question for me.

I am using a software firewall by Trend and am examing the logs.

I am being hit on ports 80, 25, 22, 52, 21, from the same IP address, have
run tracert and it reveals a German address?

On the firewall software itself it says that the Description is 'Cloaking',
any idea what this means?

In some cases it shows a ping attack and description for this is 'Firewall'.

Colonel Flagg 05-10-2004 05:50 AM

Re: Firewall question

In article <409e6d38$0$20821$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>, "J" <.> says...
> I wonder if someone can answer a question for me.
>
> I am using a software firewall by Trend and am examing the logs.
>
> I am being hit on ports 80, 25, 22, 52, 21, from the same IP address, have
> run tracert and it reveals a German address?
>
> On the firewall software itself it says that the Description is 'Cloaking',
> any idea what this means?
>
> In some cases it shows a ping attack and description for this is 'Firewall'.

someone or something is looking for open ports to exploit. could be a
worm. if you're not running anything on these or any other ports that
you get a warning about, there's nothing to worry about.

netstat -an from a DOS prompt is your friend. research each port that is
open on your router, your computer, etc. and learn how to close these
ports.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/