Velocity Reviews

-   -   WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305196-winxp-sp2-beta-bleh.html)

johns 04-02-2004 07:23 PM

WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!

The best thing about my computer is PowerQuest
DriveImage2002. No two ways about it !!!!!!!!!!!
I got crazy today and decided to try XPSP2 beta.
It is truly a pig. The stupidest error of all was that
the Error Reporting Icon gave errors, and would
not work until I enabled my .net account with MS
..... thereby exposing my system to "messenger"
poop and subscription sites. Javascript was gone.
No amount of clicking on boxes would give it back,
and there are legit uses for javascript. I run PopUp
Stopper, and it keeps javascript turned off unless
I enable it with the <shift> key. Simple and useful.
Several things I tried seemed to activate a "Backup
or Restore" program ... out of nowhere. I canceled
it twice. I run f-secure. SP2 can't detect that I'm
running f-secure, so it nagged me constantly to purchase
an anti-virus program ??? Stupid. Most irritating of
all was that my P4 / 800fsb system seemed to run
much slower. Noticably slower !!!! Screw that. Not
so bothersome was the restart screen came up in
640 x 480 minimum mode. Looks like crap. Why?
That many errors in 30 minutes was just enough.
I started DriveImage, and restored my system fully
intact, and back up to a good performance level
that I expect of XP Pro ... took about 20 minutes,
and I'm happy again. However, I'm not kidding
when I say, I dread the coming upgrade to SP2, and
it will be automatic no doubt. Seems Microsofts idea
of network security is to cripple WinXP.

johns

Retro 04-05-2004 04:27 PM

Re: WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!

Thats the reason why its still in beta stage

NoneOfBusiness 04-09-2004 03:18 PM

Re: WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:27:48 +0100, "Retro" <retro@ATindovirus.net>
wrote:

>Thats the reason why its still in beta stage
>
>"johns" <johns123xx@xxmudhole.com> wrote in message
>> The best thing about my computer is PowerQuest
>> DriveImage2002. No two ways about it !!!!!!!!!!!
>> I got crazy today and decided to try XPSP2 beta.
>> It is truly a pig. The stupidest error of all was that
>> the Error Reporting Icon gave errors, and would
>> not work until I enabled my .net account with MS
>> .... thereby exposing my system to "messenger"
>> poop and subscription sites. Javascript was gone.
>> No amount of clicking on boxes would give it back,
>> and there are legit uses for javascript. I run PopUp
>> Stopper, and it keeps javascript turned off unless
>> I enable it with the <shift> key. Simple and useful.
>> Several things I tried seemed to activate a "Backup
>> or Restore" program ... out of nowhere. I canceled
>> it twice. I run f-secure. SP2 can't detect that I'm
>> running f-secure, so it nagged me constantly to purchase
>> an anti-virus program ??? Stupid. Most irritating of
>> all was that my P4 / 800fsb system seemed to run
>> much slower. Noticably slower !!!! Screw that. Not
>> so bothersome was the restart screen came up in
>> 640 x 480 minimum mode. Looks like crap. Why?
>> That many errors in 30 minutes was just enough.
>> I started DriveImage, and restored my system fully
>> intact, and back up to a good performance level
>> that I expect of XP Pro ... took about 20 minutes,
>> and I'm happy again. However, I'm not kidding
>> when I say, I dread the coming upgrade to SP2, and
>> it will be automatic no doubt. Seems Microsofts idea
>> of network security is to cripple WinXP.
>>
>> johns

Dude its still a beta. When the full release comes out, slipstream it
into your original xp install and then reinstall windows from scratch
using this slipstream (do a google search for how to slipstream). You
are less likely to have problems that doing a straight upgrade over an
existing install.

As for javascript, this was gone in the sp1a release. If you want a
jvm, go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and get it
from the source.
Messenger popups have NOTHING to do with .net and MS Messenger. They
have to do with your messenger sevice running which is a completely
different animal.