Velocity Reviews

-   -   anti-spam software for home use (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t305176-anti-spam-software-for-home-use.html)

Doug Fox 03-07-2004 03:56 AM

anti-spam software for home use

I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

Regards,

Doug

Gladys Pump 03-07-2004 06:24 AM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:56:24 GMT, "Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com>, whilst
in the alt.computer.security newsfroup, articulated the following sentiments
:

>I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
>preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

You don't say what OS you're using. If it's Windows, you could give
MailWasher a try. It's an 'inbox inspector' that allows you to view what's
in your pop3 mailbox before downloading the entire content. Very good.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

If you're using Linux, then IMHO, SpamAssassin is the best way to combat
spam that I've seen.

http://au2.spamassassin.org/index.html

The mail server I use has SpamAssassin built in, and is superb.

http://www.kerio.com/kms_home.html

Regs, Pete.

[ Doc Jeff ] 03-07-2004 06:57 AM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

"Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:I3x2c.117881$ah.92230@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com:

> I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
> preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

http://www.grisoft.com AVG free. Very good, small, fast, did I mention
free?

Now then... maybe you could take a look at the link in my sig block down at
the bottom? ;-)

Doc

irc2.peacefulhaven.net would like more users, please. :-)

Alan Connor 03-07-2004 07:58 AM

On 7 Mar 2004 06:57:05 GMT, [ Doc Jeff ] <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> "Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:I3x2c.117881$ah.92230@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com:
>
>> I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
>> preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

> http://www.grisoft.com AVG free. Very good, small, fast, did I mention
> free?
>
> Now then... maybe you could take a look at the link in my sig block down at
> the bottom? ;-)
>

> Doc
>
> irc2.peacefulhaven.net would like more users, please. :-)
>
> --
> http://www.cotse.net - Use it, you know you want to.
> If you're too scared to go look for yourself, ask me
> about COTSE. I'd be happy to tell you about it.

Okay. Tell us about it.

AC

Juergen Nieveler 03-07-2004 10:48 AM

K9 - www.keir.net
SpamPal - www.spampal.org

--
Juergen Nieveler / juergen.nieveler@web.de / PGP supported!
A Windows user spends 1/3 of his life sleeping, 1/3 working, 1/3 waiting.

Toby A Inkster 03-07-2004 10:55 AM

SpamAssassin - http://www.spamassassin.org/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Frode 03-07-2004 12:07 PM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

*Vanguard* 03-07-2004 06:22 PM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

"Alan Connor" said in
news:uCA2c.22992$yZ1.4786@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net:

> On 7 Mar 2004 06:57:05 GMT, [ Doc Jeff ] <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Doug Fox" <dfox168@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> news:I3x2c.117881$ah.92230@twister01.bloor.is.net. cable.rogers.com:
>>
>>> I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
>>> preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

>> http://www.grisoft.com AVG free. Very good, small, fast, did I
>> mention free?
>>
>> Now then... maybe you could take a look at the link in my sig block
>> down at the bottom? ;-)

> Okay. Tell us about it.

Yeah, I'd like to see Doc explain how anti-virus software qualifies as
anti-spam software.

[ Doc Jeff ] 03-07-2004 08:30 PM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

Alan Connor <zzzzzz@xxx.yyy> wrote in
news:uCA2c.22992$yZ1.4786@newsread2.news.pas.earth link.net:

>>> I am looking for a reliable anti-spam software program for home use,
>>> preferrably free. Any recommedations are greatly thankful.

>> http://www.grisoft.com AVG free. Very good, small, fast, did I
>> mention free?
>>
>> Now then... maybe you could take a look at the link in my sig block
>> down at the bottom? ;-)

> Okay. Tell us about it.

COTSE has absolutely the BEST e-mail filters on the planet. You really
can't get more control over your e-mail anywhere else. In the year+ I've
had my account there, I have yet to receive even one piece of spam other
than those I've manually injected to train one of the filters.

Btw, I should explain something... when people ask for anti-spam tools, I
start by pointing towards anti-virus because, oftentimes, anti-spam tools
go best with anti-virus tools. After all, don't most viruses/trojans arrive
through e-mail, just like spam?

[ Doc Jeff ] 03-07-2004 08:30 PM

Re: anti-spam software for home use

"*Vanguard*" <no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in

> Yeah, I'd like to see Doc explain how anti-virus software qualifies as
> anti-spam software.

Please see my reply to the OP