Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Security (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f38-computer-security.html)
-   -   Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304963-think-your-wireless-network-is-secure-think-again.html)

Careers 01-28-2004 01:09 AM

Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
implemented properly.


http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm

Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.



--
Wojtek
Network Security Consultant
www.SafeIT.ca
"We make your network security our business, so you can get on with yours."




---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.567 / Virus Database: 358 - Release Date: 24/01/2004



Rowdy Yates 01-28-2004 03:31 AM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
very true. but that goes without saying for almost anything. if it ain't
implemented properly, it's not very secure is it.

"Careers" <careers@safeitNOSPAM.ca> wrote in news:%ZDRb.308$SY3.65565
@read2.cgocable.net:

> The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
> implemented properly.
>
>
> http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
>
> Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.
>
>
>




--
Rowdy Yates
I am Against-TCPA
http://www.againsttcpa.com

Ford Prefect 01-28-2004 04:08 AM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 


Careers wrote:
> The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
> implemented properly.


You seem to have an acute grasp of the patently obvious.

>
> http://www.safeit.ca/wireless.htm
>
> Check it out! Keep your Private network Private.


If your network security suggestions are as uselss as your information
privacy ramblings, I'll look else where.

>
>
>



Jim Watt 01-28-2004 08:53 AM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:09:37 -0500, "Careers"
<careers@safeitNOSPAM.ca> wrote:

>The greatest problem with 802.11 security is that it is usually not
>implemented properly.


Spamming newsgroups will not generate sales leads.

Where is Canada anyway? its not part of the EU

--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Leonard Agoado 01-28-2004 06:04 PM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 

"Careers" <careers@safeitNOSPAM.ca> wrote

> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.




No, it is most certainly not.

Replace "certified" with "alleged to be"

Len Agoado
agoado@msn.com





Lawrence Rodis 01-28-2004 07:01 PM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
Actually anything using 801.11x or WEP is not secure. WEP can be broken in
minutes, and 11.x is vulnerable to replay attacks.

Only secure solution is one that forces a VPN between the client and the AP
or if you want setup the VPN between the client and a VPN device on the
network.

Watchgard and Sonicwall both offer these devices. Others may have now as
well. I like the Sonicwall better because of some of the extra features
they have.

--
Regards,

Lawrence A. Rodis
President
Strategic Resource Consulting Group L.L.C.
702-221-6274
lrodis@strategicresource.com
www.strategicresource.com

"Leonard Agoado" <len@mwswire.com> wrote in message
news:FQSRb.732$F23.241@newsread2.news.pas.earthlin k.net...
>
> "Careers" <careers@safeitNOSPAM.ca> wrote
>
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

>
>
>
> No, it is most certainly not.
>
> Replace "certified" with "alleged to be"
>
> Len Agoado
> agoado@msn.com
>
>
>
>




Roaming Penguin 01-30-2004 08:55 PM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
Perhaps WEP is capable of being broken in minutes;
Individuals should educated themselves when buying a wireless router,
and fully learn all the capabilities of such a device before using it.

Now with 256bit encryption; HEX
MAC Filters properly enabled;
LAN Ping Discarded, and ALL un-used modes disabled (Gaming, VPN)

Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.


On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:01:42 GMT, "Lawrence Rodis"
<lrodis@strategicresource.com> wrote:

>Actually anything using 801.11x or WEP is not secure. WEP can be broken in
>minutes, and 11.x is vulnerable to replay attacks.
>
>Only secure solution is one that forces a VPN between the client and the AP
>or if you want setup the VPN between the client and a VPN device on the
>network.
>
>Watchgard and Sonicwall both offer these devices. Others may have now as
>well. I like the Sonicwall better because of some of the extra features
>they have.



Ben Measures 01-31-2004 07:04 AM

Re: Think your Wireless Network is Secure? Think Again.
 
Roaming Penguin wrote:
> Chances of someone braking in your wireless network is greatly
> reduced. I am still waiting to see the day when someone cracks mine.


If your cracker is good you won't ;)

--
Ben M.

----------------
What are Software Patents for?
To protect the small enterprise from bigger companies.

What do Software Patents do?
In its current form, they protect only companies with
big legal departments as they:
a.) Patent everything no matter how general
b.) Sue everybody. Even if the patent can be argued
invalid, small companies can ill-afford the
typical $500k cost of a law-suit (not to mention
years of harassment).

Don't let them take away your right to program
whatever you like. Make a stand on Software Patents
before its too late.

Read about the ongoing battle at http://swpat.ffii.org/
----------------



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.