Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304638-how-do-you-know-you-didnt-get-infected-by-swen.html)

wylbur37 11-17-2003 12:44 PM

How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
infected by the Swen worm?

Having an anti-virus program report "no infections" is not necessarily
conclusive since it's possible that the anti-virus program wasn't
updated, or the update didn't include the code for Swen.

Is there a program available that was written specifically to detect
Swen?

Alternatively, are there specific symptoms to look for (such as the
existence of certain files or executables) that would reveal the
presence of Swen?

How can you be sure you didn't get infected by Swen?

Tina - AffordableHOST.com 11-17-2003 12:47 PM

Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ - online virus scanner.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup

news:8028c236.0311170444.190c4676@posting.google.c om...

David F. Skoll 11-17-2003 01:19 PM

wylbur37 wrote:

> How can you be sure you didn't get infected by Swen?

By running Linux.

--
David.

Thor Kottelin 11-17-2003 04:33 PM

wylbur37 wrote:

> Is there a program available that was written specifically to detect
> Swen?
>
> Alternatively, are there specific symptoms to look for (such as the
> existence of certain files or executables) that would reveal the
> presence of Swen?

Please see e.g. <URL:http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm>.

Follow-ups set.

Thor

--
http://thorweb.anta.net/

Ben Myers 11-17-2003 11:48 PM

Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

The most prominent symptom is probably the inability to run regedit.
There are Swen specific removal tools.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...oval.tool.html
http://www.bullguard.com/antivirus/vit_swen_a.aspx

Ben

s. keeling 11-18-2003 12:00 AM

On 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com>:
> How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
> infected by the Swen worm?

Are you still being bombarded with swen? If so, you're not infected.
Or you're not running Windows, thereby disabling swen from inoculating
itself against further attack..

(*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
- - http://learn.to/quote (Deutsch) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)
Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html

Colonel Flagg 11-18-2003 12:10 AM

Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

In article <slrnbrio8i.79q.keeling@infidel.spots.ab.ca>,
keeling@spots.ab.ca says...
> On 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com>:
> > How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
> > infected by the Swen worm?

> Are you still being bombarded with swen? If so, you're not infected.
> Or you're not running Windows, thereby disabling swen from inoculating
> itself against further attack..

you've got to be kidding me.... this is "advice"? jesus.

Just because you think this person is being bombarded with swen, they're
not infected? Do you have a clue? That's one of the worst examples of
"logic" that I've ever seen.

Being bombarded with swen infected emails has absolutely nothing to do
with the person being infected or not.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

LO&MsLO 11-18-2003 12:39 AM

On 18 Nov 2003 00:00:17 GMT, keeling@spots.ab.ca (s. keeling) wrote:

>On 17 Nov 2003 04:44:08 -0800, wylbur37 <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com>:
>> How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
>> infected by the Swen worm?

>Are you still being bombarded with swen? If so, you're not infected.
>Or you're not running Windows, thereby disabling swen from inoculating
>itself against further attack..

Or you belong to Yahoo or MSN groups. Stop those and you will stop
the Swen. In a year or two.

John

Mimic 11-18-2003 02:08 PM

Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8028c236.0311170444.190c4676@posting.google.c om...
> How can you really determine whether or not your computer has been
> infected by the Swen worm?
>
> Having an anti-virus program report "no infections" is not necessarily
> conclusive since it's possible that the anti-virus program wasn't
> updated, or the update didn't include the code for Swen.
>
> Is there a program available that was written specifically to detect
> Swen?
>
> Alternatively, are there specific symptoms to look for (such as the
> existence of certain files or executables) that would reveal the
> presence of Swen?
>
> How can you be sure you didn't get infected by Swen?

www.avp.ch
www.symantec.com
get a clue

--
Mimic

and those that dont."
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

Colonel Kernel@sys32.com 11-19-2003 06:05 PM

Re: How do you know you didn't get infected by Swen?

Hey wylbur,

Sorry to see that your plea for help evoked as many attitude responses as
advice responses. Also, I may be wasting my time because I am thinking that
since you cross posted your request for help to so many places, and I am
only replying in here, you may not monitor this group for individual

Now, I am nothing but the average household variety computer user. I think I
can pass on a couple valuable suggestions in spite of my shortcomings.

Two things can be a big help to you. One is to create a boot floppy
according to your AV instructions. This protects you by allowing you to run
a scan before boot up from the floppy, since some nasties reconfigure or
disable your AV and or firewall. The second thing is to take advantage of
any of the online virus scans. These do not rely on the operation of your AV
software or the virus definitions contained in your AV.

The recent collusion between the spammers and hackers has really ratcheted
up the deceit and sophistication. A recent variant installs 2 copies of
itself. If you try to delete copy 1, copy 2 will reinstall it. Delete copy 2
and copy 1 will reinstall it. They also can reconfigure your AV and firewall
and do stuff like disable your keyboard and mouse. In short, they have
declared war on us all. They are determined to make us all spam robots. Of
course we still have the identity thieves and credit card fraud to deal with
such as the recent ebay situation where the thieves actually made a replica
of the ebay web site to lure people into giving out their financial and
credit card info.

Computing is no longer commerce made easy or fun on the playground. It is
now war on the battlefield.

A note to any potential responders: If I fail to sound like an expert or
fail to speak proper computerese, or sound like an idiot, deal with it. If I
have given flawed or incomplete advice then by all means correct me.