Velocity Reviews

-   -   sober.a worm problems (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304609-sober-a-worm-problems.html)

Vincenzo 11-11-2003 04:05 PM

sober.a worm problems

Hello there!
I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing up
and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there were
26 of them.
After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the worm
was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches, the
computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME install
cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
Thanks in advance.
Happy memorial day to all.
Vince.

---

Colonel Flagg 11-11-2003 05:10 PM

Re: sober.a worm problems

In article <jN7sb.7276$nz.1038@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
vinyvo@NOSPAMearthlink.net says...
> Hello there!
> I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing up
> and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there were
> 26 of them.
> After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the worm
> was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
> though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches, the
> computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
> alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
> corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME install
> cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
> Thanks in advance.
> Happy memorial day to all.
> Vince.

it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
reinstalling it.

get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
biggest piece of **** ever produced by Microsoft.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Vincenzo 11-11-2003 08:56 PM

Re: sober.a worm problems

I agree about ME. I sucks!!!!!! It came loaded and I tried the upgrade to
2000 , but due to system incompatibility ( hp pavilion on board sound) It
didn't worked. Thanks anyway!

"Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:MPG.1a1ae1f87b18b985989b95@news.charter.net.. .
> In article <jN7sb.7276$nz.1038@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
> vinyvo@NOSPAMearthlink.net says...
> > Hello there!
> > I have a client that call me yesterday because her computer was freezing

up
> > and shutting down by itself. I thought it was a worm ....in fact there

were
> > 26 of them.
> > After booting from a disk and running the removal tool from dos, the

worm
> > was gone. The problem here is that she is running windows ME, and even
> > though the worm is gone, and I made here install all the latest patches,

the
> > computer (sometimes) still freezes ( black screen ,no response, not even
> > alt+ctrl+del) . If the worm corrupted the os, what is the best ,non data
> > corruptive, solution to fix it? Is there a repair option in the ME

install
> > cd? Or should I reinstall ME on top.
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Happy memorial day to all.
> > Vince.

> it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
> that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
> reinstalling it.
>
> get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
> else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
> biggest piece of **** ever produced by Microsoft.
>

> --
> Colonel Flagg
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/
>
> Privacy at a click:
> http://www.cotse.net
>
> Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
> A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
>
> "...I see stupid people."

---

Chopper 11-11-2003 09:05 PM

Re: sober.a worm problems

<snip>

> it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
> that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
> reinstalling it.
>
> get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
> else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
> biggest piece of **** ever produced by Microsoft.

<snip>

Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
heard any reasons why.

Colonel Flagg 11-11-2003 10:42 PM

Re: sober.a worm problems

In article <3fb14ee0$0$264$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
chopper@despammed.com says...
> <snip>
> >
> > it's a wonder WinME is still running at all. i wouldn't have allowed
> > that crapware to run on the machine in the first place, let alone,
> > reinstalling it.
> >
> > get a decent OS, go back to Win98 if possible, or upgrade to something
> > else like Win2k or WinXP and apply all of the patches.... WinME is the
> > biggest piece of **** ever produced by Microsoft.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
> I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
> heard any reasons why.

everything about it. how many things can you find *good* about it that
isn't just as *good* as say Win98? so why use it? if it's a driver
compatibility issue, chances are, Win98 will work with WinME drivers.
I'd rather rebuild the hardware on a system and MAKE it compatible with
something else, rather than deal with WinME.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."

Jim Watt 11-11-2003 11:45 PM

Re: sober.a worm problems

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:04 -0000, "Chopper" <chopper@despammed.com>
wrote:

>Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
>I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've never
>heard any reasons why.

It offers no advantages over win/98 and does things sufficiently
differently to be confusing. It also seems to more prone to problems
and whenever I get called in to see one I groan.
--
Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

Chopper 11-12-2003 12:16 AM

Re: sober.a worm problems

"Jim Watt" <jimwatt@aol.no_way> wrote in message
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:05:04 -0000, "Chopper" <chopper@despammed.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Just out of interest, why does everyone hate ME above any other version?
> >I've heard a lot of bad press about it since it was released but I've

never
> >heard any reasons why.

> It offers no advantages over win/98 and does things sufficiently
> differently to be confusing. It also seems to more prone to problems
> and whenever I get called in to see one I groan.
> --
> Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

So it's not so much a bad OS as an almost identical OS (to 98) with 'added
bugs'.
Think I got ya.

Thanks

chopper

Dazz 11-15-2003 06:00 AM

Re: sober.a worm problems

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:56:42 GMT, "Vincenzo"
<vinyvo@NOSPAMearthlink.net> wrote:

>I agree about ME. I sucks!!!!!! It came loaded and I tried the upgrade to
>2000 , but due to system incompatibility ( hp pavilion on board sound) It
>didn't worked. Thanks anyway!

Check the HP website for Win2K drivers.

I *scored* a HP Pavilion box last year, and they had some Win2k
drivers on their site so that I could upgrade the OS.

Definitely worth checking - Windows ME is definitely a piece of shite.

Dazz