Velocity Reviews

-   -   To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304570-to-saint-signs-to-look-for-if-your-computer-is-hacked.html)

Jene Keller 11-04-2003 05:47 AM

To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress
and it's listed on my Website, so deal with it. In fact, this babe
received a letter, today from DORRANCE Publishing Company who wants to
review a copy of my book; much to this babes surprise. With my book
being 11,000 pages and 27 megabytes large, no company could afford to
publish it and make a profit. There are too many legal issues with
the material in my book for any company to want to touch my book. How
many people want to know which Court House, University, Boeing, Church
or Big Corporations have systems which are hackable, right now, this
minute.

Tracker

Tim H. 11-04-2003 06:14 AM

Re: To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

"Jene Keller" <f2byline@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d3e3462a.0311032147.15de9368@posting.google.c om...
> My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress
> and it's listed on my Website, so deal with it. In fact, this babe

babe:
2 : a naive inexperienced person -- used especially in the phrase babe in
the woods

Geist 11-04-2003 06:37 AM

On 3 Nov 2003 21:47:15 -0800, f2byline@yahoo.com (Jene Keller) wrote:

>My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress
>and it's listed on my Website, so deal with it. In fact, this babe
>received a letter, today from DORRANCE Publishing Company who wants to
>review a copy of my book; much to this babes surprise.

Why the surprise? If you went to their site and read a bit, you would
see why they are interested. This is a quote:
"There is also a summary of Dorrance's subsidy publishing services."

IOW, how much are you willing to pay THEM to publish your book? It's
a Vanity Publiching Company.

Laura Fredericks 11-04-2003 06:57 AM

Re: To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

--
Laura Fredericks
PGP key ID - DH/DSS 2048/1024: 0xC753039A

http://www.queenofcyberspace.com/usenet/

Remove CLOTHES to reply.

Lukasz Grzebiennik 11-04-2003 11:24 AM

Re: To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

Uzytkownik "Jene Keller" <f2byline@yahoo.com> napisal w wiadomosci

Kirt Wingard 11-04-2003 12:38 PM

Re: To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

"Jene Keller" <f2byline@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d3e3462a.0311032147.15de9368@posting.google.c om...
: My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress
: and it's listed on my Website, so deal with it. In fact, this babe
: received a letter, today from DORRANCE Publishing Company who wants to
: review a copy of my book; much to this babes surprise. With my book
: being 11,000 pages and 27 megabytes large, no company could afford to
: publish it and make a profit. There are too many legal issues with
: the material in my book for any company to want to touch my book. How
: many people want to know which Court House, University, Boeing, Church
: or Big Corporations have systems which are hackable, right now, this
: minute.

The biggest legal hurdle for your book is blatant plagiarism.
You wouldn't recognize an original idea if it fell out of your ass (and no
wonder since that's where most of your opinions originate).

HTH

HAND

GFY

/kirt

--
+++alt.2600/#hack FAQ (by The Voyager)+++
http://www.hackfaq.org

Ilena Ayala 11-04-2003 03:23 PM

Re: To Saint - Signs To Look For If Your Computer Is Hacked

"Jene Keller" <f2byline@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:d3e3462a.0311032147.15de9368@posting.google.c om...
> My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress
> and it's listed on my Website, so deal with it. In fact, this babe
> received a letter, today from DORRANCE Publishing Company who wants to
> review a copy of my book; much to this babes surprise.

<snip>

Dorrance? Never heard of them...
*flips through the index of the _2003_Writer's_Market_Online_*

"Donnaud & Associates, ...Doral, Dorchester, ...Dorsey, Doubleday..." No
"Dorrance is listed. Of course, even that book doesn't have *every*
publisher.

Hmmm. Http://www.dorrancepublishing.com Oh...*there* they are. A vanity
publisher.

-Ilena Ayala

n1pop@hotmail.com 11-04-2003 04:44 PM

f2byline@yahoo.com (Jene Keller) wrote in message news:<d3e3462a.0311032147.15de9368@posting.google. com>...
> My E-Book already has a Copyright number from the Library of Congress

The number you listed does not return any results at the Copyright
Office branch. Your book title does not return any results at LoC or
Copyright Office.

Try again.

aaelanarneaud 12-03-2008 12:04 AM

All About Dorrance

Hi, this is Aaelan Arneaud and I’m currently one of Dorrance’s authors. My novel Jason Station: Cascade is available on Dorrance’s website and also on my own website www dot ARNEAUDfan dot com

I also have free writing tips available for aspiring writers.

If you like what you read all I ask is that you recommend me.

I testify to Dorrance’s strengths in the mechanical production of my novel, meaning everything that goes into making an actual book, like editing, proofing, cover art, formatting, etc. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised at their quality. Their promotion department seems to be in touch with the right people: Amazon, the B & T, bookstores, TV stations, et al. They’re also very aggressive in their recruiting, which tells me they want your business. My research into the Better Business Bureau told me that they don’t have many complaints and that they try to resolve them. That’s like finding gold in any business.

The downside? Of course there is; there’s a downside to everything. What, are you 11? But to me, they’re all symptoms of the same thing: a lack of vigilance on the author’s part. Unlike trade publishing, they are all robots, which do what they’re told. [Trade publishing ain’t all that up on their gander either]. That means if you spell something wrong they’ll point it out but if you want it so then so it stays. Some, like me, like that kind of control so I like Dorrance: capable but bending to my will.

Here’s a personal experience: I’ve always said that covers sell books. You have to read a book to know if it’s worth it and no one has that kind of time. No, most go by the cover and the little synopsis on the back. You may have noticed those back cover synopses are getting smaller and smaller or being replaced by some celebrity or journal saying how must-read it is. That means you better have an attractive and intriguing cover. I conceive my own covers and if you don’t give Dorrance or any publisher a concept to work with then they will choose something for you, and usually they’ll come up with something unimaginative. Remember: your cover is part of your book and it tells a story too, so take a personal involvement in all aspects of your production from manuscript to shelf.

So what out-and-out problems have I had with Dorrance? I can’t go into details for legal reasons but producing books is only 50% of a publisher’s job; collecting sales and disbursing those monies to the author is the other 50%. Dorrance claims it was an automation accounting snafu, but your vigilance also applies after your book is out. Would I use them again? Short answer: yes. Long answer: “Better the Devil that you know than the Devil that you don’t.” Dorrance put out a quality product when it comes to my book, and now that I know exactly where to keep an eye on them it makes it less likely history will repeat itself. But I would also recommend giving others a chance to show their worth also.

I have more advice for aspiring authors you might be interested in on my website www dot ARNEAUDfan dot com and you may ask a question by fan mail. Good luck, fellow authors.