Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t303999-can-my-employer-hear-my-skype-phone-calls.html)

Susan 07-20-2006 06:31 AM

Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls?
Can SKYPE be my answer to the privacy I desperately need?

I have a, shall we just say, long-distance relationship, with a certain
someone in the company who is far away. Due to time-zone and family
matters, I can ONLY call this certain someone during the day. My phone
bills are monitored by a certain domestic someone at home. And, of course,
at work, I couldn't use the telephone as it's not business related.

What about SKYPE?
Can SKYPE be my answer to privacy?

I already plugged in a microphone and headphone and I noticed SKYPE calls
to my friend show up as a phone number of 000012345 so I can converse with
my friend.

But my question is what can my employer "tell" about that connection?
Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to?
Do employers typically "listen" to this type of activity?

Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed up with work and
the need to remain private.

Thank you very much for your advice
Susan

Ivor Jones 07-20-2006 08:29 AM

Re: Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

"Susan" <susan@netcom.com> wrote in message

[snip]

> Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to?
> Do employers typically "listen" to this type of activity?

No, but if you are using work equipment for personal use then they would
have every right to do so.

> Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed
> up with work and the need to remain private.

Then don't use work equipment.

Ivor

Herne 07-20-2006 10:16 AM

Re: Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 06:31:55 +0000, Susan <susan@netcom.com> wrote in

> Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls? Can SKYPE be my answer to the
> privacy I desperately need?
>
> I have a, shall we just say, long-distance relationship, with a certain
> someone in the company who is far away. Due to time-zone and family
> matters, I can ONLY call this certain someone during the day. My phone
> bills are monitored by a certain domestic someone at home. And, of course,
> at work, I couldn't use the telephone as it's not business related.
>
> What about SKYPE?
> Can SKYPE be my answer to privacy?

Maybe, it depends. As far as your employer being able to 'hear' the
call-contents, the answer in short is "No." Skype calls are end-to-end
encrypted.

However, this does NOT mean that the calls are undetectable. Skype network
packets can be distinguished from other network traffic if you know what
to look for; they can also be blocked at the company firewall.

> I already plugged in a microphone and headphone and I noticed SKYPE calls
> to my friend show up as a phone number of 000012345 so I can converse with
> my friend.
>
> But my question is what can my employer "tell" about that connection? Can
> they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to? Do employers typically
> "listen" to this type of activity?

Only incompetent and/or lazy sysadmins aren't aware of what happens on their
networks; Skype has been getting a lot of press, and sysadmins are beginning
to take notice. Don't count on your activity going undetected. While they
can't hear the voice content of your calls, they will be able to tell that
you're making some, if your network administrator is at all on the ball.

Are you willing to put your job at risk? Remember--the employer owns the
hardware, the software and pays for the bandwidth. Unauthorized use of
company equipment can be grounds for termination. Even installing
unauthorized software--i.e. Skype--can be grounds enough to get you
turfed out, depending on how anal your employer wishes to be. (In most
places I've worked, you'd be fired on the spot for installing something
on their computers without authorization.)

> Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed up with work and
> the need to remain private.

If you're worried about the phone bills, then go down to the 7/11 and get
yourself a pay-as-you-go cellphone. The newer ones are small and easy-to-hide,
and because they're pay as you go, you don't have any bills to worry about.

Lock the phone in your office drawer if you don't want to risk bringing
it home. Skype right now is free in North America, but only until the end
of this year. If you get a cellphone, you can use it and no one can accuse
you of mis-appropriating your employer's property. The worst they can do
is give you a hard time if you're calling your friend on company time--so
do it on your breaks, lunch hour, and after work. Is saving a few bucks
on phone calls worth risking your employment?

Herne <Herne@nym.panta-rhei.eu.org>

Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen 07-20-2006 10:43 AM

Re: Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

> But my question is what can my employer "tell" about that connection?
> Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to?
> Do employers typically "listen" to this type of activity?

Your employer might be able to tell that you are using Skype.
They can also tell from the network traffic which IP number you are talking
with and if that IP number is in the same company , then a little detective
work will find out who you were talking with.
They can also tell for how long you were talking.

However they cannot listen in on the conversation as Skype calls are all
encrypted.

I don't know of employers that invade privacy like this, but I'm in a country
that has laws against this sort of thing.
I would suspect that this kind of goes on in the big american or multinational
companies as many of them have a tendency to think of the employers as
workslaves that can't be trusted and should be guarded against (a BAD way to
manage btw), instead of valued and trusted employees.
It's a corporation mentality thing .. you work there .. what do you think they
do ?

Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen 07-20-2006 10:58 AM

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Susan" <susan@netcom.com> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
>> Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted to?
>> Do employers typically "listen" to this type of activity?

> No, but if you are using work equipment for personal use then they would
> have every right to do so.
>
>> Please advise me as this is a personal matter all mixed
>> up with work and the need to remain private.

> Then don't use work equipment.
>
> Ivor

Wow Ivor - that's some attitude .. What sort of police state do you live in ?

Jonathan Roberts 07-20-2006 12:03 PM

"Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen" <news2006@ceejay.cjb.NOSPAMnet> wrote in message
news:44bf5e4e$0$84017$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k...
> I don't know of employers that invade privacy like this, but I'm in a

country
> that has laws against this sort of thing.
> I would suspect that this kind of goes on in the big american or

multinational
> companies as many of them have a tendency to think of the employers as
> workslaves that can't be trusted and should be guarded against (a BAD way

> manage btw), instead of valued and trusted employees.
> It's a corporation mentality thing .. you work there .. what do you think

they
> do ?

Laws not withstanding employers have the right to take steps to prevent
theft. Theft of bandwidth is no different than theft of paperclips. If
this is a real concern, I would suggest the OP go to a coffee shop w/ Wifi
during lunch.

Ivor Jones 07-20-2006 12:12 PM

wrote in message
news:44bf61c0$0$84018$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k
> Ivor Jones wrote:
> > "Susan" <susan@netcom.com> wrote in message
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Can they "hear" my SKYPE phone calls if they wanted
> > > to? Do employers typically "listen" to this type of
> > > activity?

> > No, but if you are using work equipment for personal
> > use then they would have every right to do so.
> >
> > > Please advise me as this is a personal matter all
> > > mixed up with work and the need to remain private.

> > Then don't use work equipment.
> >
> > Ivor

> Wow Ivor - that's some attitude .. What sort of police
> state do you live in ?

One where using company equipment for personal use is not generally
accepted. Would you like it if I came round to your place and used your
system for my own use without asking..?

If a company provides you with computer equipment they do so in order that
you can do your job, not so you can waste company time on the net.

A company is perfectly within its legal rights to monitor employees' use
of company equipment. Ask a lawyer if you don't believe me.

Ivor

Ivor Jones 07-20-2006 12:14 PM

wrote in message
news:44bf5e4e$0$84017$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k

[snip]

> I don't know of employers that invade privacy like this,
> but I'm in a country that has laws against this sort of
> thing.

I don't know what country you are in, but here (UK) an employer has every
right to monitor the activities of its' employees, including email and
other communications.

Ivor

Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen 07-20-2006 08:35 PM

Re: Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

> Laws not withstanding employers have the right to take steps to prevent
> theft. Theft of bandwidth is no different than theft of paperclips. If
> this is a real concern, I would suggest the OP go to a coffee shop w/ Wifi
> during lunch.

Considering that almost all broadband connection cost a fixed amount each
month, more bandwidth use doesn't not equal more money spent.

And since there is no loss of money there can be no theft.

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} 07-20-2006 08:43 PM

Re: Can my employer "hear" my SKYPE phone calls

Thus spaketh Ivor Jones:
> "Christian 'CeeJay' Jensen" <news2006@ceejay.cjb.NOSPAMnet>
> wrote in message
> news:44bf5e4e$0$84017$edfadb0f@dtext01.news.tele.d k
>
> [snip]
>
>> I don't know of employers that invade privacy like this,
>> but I'm in a country that has laws against this sort of
>> thing.

> I don't know what country you are in, but here (UK) an employer has
> every right to monitor the activities of its' employees, including
> email and other communications.
>
> Ivor

Seems like she wants to play away too, not nice at all.