Velocity Reviews

-   -   pbx analog extender (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t303929-pbx-analog-extender.html)

Henry Cabot Henhouse III 06-20-2006 03:06 PM

pbx analog extender

This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
"dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
and should not require the use of a server.

Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
less if possible.

Thanks in advance!

gremln007@gmail.com 06-20-2006 07:51 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

Henry Cabot Henhouse III wrote:
> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
>
> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
> and should not require the use of a server.
>
> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
> less if possible.
>
> Thanks in advance!

You might also look at phonegnome (www.phonegnome.com). They blend
PSTN and VOIP. Not sure if it will do exactly what you're after though.

William P.N. Smith 06-20-2006 09:39 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

"Henry Cabot Henhouse III" <sooper_chicken@hotmail.com> wrote:
>simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
>and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.
>
>When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
>"dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
>ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
>and should not require the use of a server.

Have you looked at the various offerings from http://multitech.com/ ?
They seem to do that kind of thing, and appear to work well, though I
haven't used them personally.

B. Wright 06-26-2006 01:08 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

Henry Cabot Henhouse III <sooper_chicken@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking for a
> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home should
> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
> and should not require the use of a server.

> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300 or
> less if possible.

You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is picked
up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.

This is quite a cheap solution too.

Pat Coghlan 06-26-2006 03:21 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

Enzo Michelangeli 06-26-2006 03:28 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

"B. Wright" <bmwright@xmission.com> wrote in message
> Henry Cabot Henhouse III <sooper_chicken@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> This has probably been covered a million times... I'm (still) looking
>> for a
>> simple and inexpensive device that connects to an analog line off my pbx,
>> and one that connects to a standard analog phone at home.

>> When I go off hook at home, I should get distant pbx dial tone without a
>> "dial plan". When someone calls the pbx extension, the phone at home
>> should
>> ring. In other words, the setup should function transparently to the user
>> and should not require the use of a server.

>> Btw... $899 each is a bit over budget! Trying to keep each end to 2-300
>> or
>> less if possible.

> You should be able to do this with a Sipura 3000 FXO port hooked
> up to the PBX and one of the FXS only Sipuras on the other end. Go read
> about the "hotline" feature in the diaplans of the Sipuras. Basically, it
> just auto-dials to the number (or SIP URI) as soon as the handset is
> picked
> up. These can do IP to IP dialing without a SIP server in between. For
> the incoming calls to route to the remote extension set the FXO port on
> the SPA 3000 up to forward everything to the other adapter.
>
> This is quite a cheap solution too.

I think his PBX extension requires an FXS interface, making the solution
even cheaper: a pair of SPA-1000
(http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00111.html or, even better, of
PAP2-NA (http://www.voipsupply.com/product_in...roducts_id=317 will
cost him ~120.

Enzo

Henry Cabot Henhouse III 06-26-2006 07:35 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

Thank you for the suggestions...
I did look at the ArtDio IPH-102 VoIP FXO FXS Gateway
Has anyone used these in an "off prem" type application? I'm just wondering
how
easy/difficult they are to configure for use in a point to point setup? They
run P.MGCP.

B. Wright 06-28-2006 11:15 AM

Re: pbx analog extender

Pat Coghlan <info@coghlan.ca> wrote:
> The problem with your suggestion is that you're connecting a phone line
> to a phone line (PBX to Sipura). There is no phone to go off-hook.
> When there is an incoming call, the PBX puts ringing voltage on the
> line. The Sipura is not designed for this.

Pat, you're wrong. Most Sipuras aren't designed for that, but
the SPA-3000 has an FXO port, which is designed to be hooked up to an
incoming analog line provided by the telco/pbx. It handles ringing
voltage just fine. It also does have an FXS port to hook a handset up
to and a hardware relay that shunts the handset to the incoming analog
line if the power dies for emergency service even if the VoIP portion of
the adapter isn't working. Most of those features aren't too relevant
to what the original poster wants to do, but the FXO port is for the pbx
end of business.

Pat Coghlan 06-28-2006 01:32 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

Is that the only reason the FXO port is there, to provide a backup
analog shunt if the TA loses power?

Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

William P.N. Smith 06-28-2006 02:35 PM

Re: pbx analog extender

Pat Coghlan <info@coghlan.ca> wrote:
>Anyway, as you indicated, in this configuration it's still not possible
>to extend the "FXS" port to meet the OP's requirement.

You use an FXO box to connect to the OP's PBX and hook his remote
telephone up to an FXS box. Ignore all the extra ports on any boxes
you might use.