Velocity Reviews

-   -   Help me connect a VOIP phone to my Nortel PBX (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t303912-help-me-connect-a-voip-phone-to-my-nortel-pbx.html)

deanwissing@gmail.com 06-13-2006 02:21 PM

Help me connect a VOIP phone to my Nortel PBX

I have a Nortel Meridian PBX. I am looking for an inexpensive way to
connect something (VOIP gateway?) to an analog port that will connect
over IP to a VOIP phone on my newtork. So if I pick up the VOIP phone,
it will "pick up" the analog line on my PBX and I can make a call.

This is to allow me to put phones in remote trailers where I have
ethernet, but no telephone cabling.

What route should I pursue?

Thanks,
Dean

Pat Coghlan 06-13-2006 02:38 PM

Re: Help me connect a VOIP phone to my Nortel PBX

Sounds like you want this:

[analog PBX port]--[adapter]--(IP WAN)--[adapter]--[analog phone]

I don't think you can use the WAN to emulate the analog loop to the PBX
port this way.

In the VoIP world, you typically connect your analog phone to a VoIP
gateway, which in turn signals to a server using the SIP protocol. That
server itself, or another server in the WAN, will have a trunk to the
network where your destination analog phone resides.

The trunks to the destination networks can be T1, ATM etc.

Jonathan Roberts 06-14-2006 12:42 AM

<deanwissing@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1150208478.252168.253770@c74g2000cwc.googlegr oups.com...
> I have a Nortel Meridian PBX. I am looking for an inexpensive way to
> connect something (VOIP gateway?) to an analog port that will connect
> over IP to a VOIP phone on my newtork. So if I pick up the VOIP phone,
> it will "pick up" the analog line on my PBX and I can make a call.
>
> This is to allow me to put phones in remote trailers where I have
> ethernet, but no telephone cabling.
>
> What route should I pursue?
>
> Thanks,
> Dean

Dean,

You might look at this vendor:
http://www.quintum.com/enterprise/en_appnotes.html. Take note of the case
"PBX extension". I *think* this is what you're after.