Velocity Reviews

-   -   ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t300116-asp-net-2-0-64bit-iis-6-windows-server-2003-64-bit.html)

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRGVsYWh1bnR5?= 06-13-2006 01:31 PM

ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

I'm having a bit of a weird problem and I've spent the last few hours
scouring the web trying to solve this before coming here.

Here is the problem:
I get 404 errors for all ASP.NET 2.0 content trying to be served from IIS.

Setup:
IIS 6 (64 bit)
Windows Server 2003 64bit
ASP.NET 2.0 (64 bit)

Some Additional Facts:
Classic-ASP components for IIS not installed.
ASP.NET is registered with IIS.
Directory permissions are fine.
Just .NET 2.0 64 bit on machine (no 1.1 installed)
It's not the "app_offline.htm" issue.
File extension mappings (aspx, asmx, ashx, etc) all fine

What I have tried so far:
It's not the "app_offline.htm" issue - I have confirmed that. I have
unregistered ASP.NET from IIS and re-registered it. No difference. When
ASP.NET is unregistered the files are found and served by IIS (although they
obviously don't work as ASP.NET is not installed). When ASP.NET is registered
it's an immediate 404.

I'm trying to service webservices but I have tried it with simple ASPX file
with no code behind and just "static" html content - same problem. I've tried
it with ASPX files with code behind - same problem.

I've tried removing IIS, restarting machine (even though this is not
necessary), reinstall IIS, re-register ASP.NET 2 with IIS - no difference.
Same problem. All the ASPX and ASMX files/projects I have tried work fine on
IIS 5 on my XP pro dev box.

I've tried manually recreating the file extension mappings to the 64 bit
ASP.NET engine
(c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\a spnet_isapi.dll). That
didn't work either.

I've enabled directory browsing to see if IIS itself is even seeing the file
which I knew it was as when ASP.NET in not registered it does try to serve
it... anyway, IIS sees it, but when you click on the file - 404. I checked
the error mappings to ensure it really is a 404 and it is - the log says 404
too.

I mapped .html files to the ASP.NET worker process too
(c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\a spnet_isapi.dll) and when
mapped to it, they give 404s too.

And, after doing all this, I again uninstalled and reinstalled IIS and
re-registered ASP.NET 2.0 and still no joy!

Anybody have any suggestions?

Juan T. Llibre 06-13-2006 01:51 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Have you enabled ASP.NET 2.0 in IIS 6.0 ?

You need to enable ASP.NET by opening the IIS Manager
and scrolling down the left-hand side to "Web Service Extensions",
click once on it and look on the right-hand panel.

Click once on the ASP.NET version you want to enable,
( in this case 2.0 ) and click the "Allow" button.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espa˝ol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
===================================

mnichols 06-13-2006 01:58 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Hi,

If you go to the IIS Manager and select the Web Service Extensions node
is ASP.NET "allowed"? This is something that can be missed.

Also, look into aspnet_regiis.exe and it various options (see msdn).

Windows firewall?

hth

mnichols

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRGVsYWh1bnR5?= 06-13-2006 02:01 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Yep. Sorry. Forgot to mention that I had enabled it.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the whole 64 bit thing.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRGVsYWh1bnR5?= 06-13-2006 02:11 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

ASP.NET is allowed and I'm testing from the local machine.

mnichols 06-13-2006 02:17 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

A client had similar problems and it was because of folder permissions.

A few more ideas:

Check IIS logs: C:\windows\system32\Logfiles
Check httplogs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\HTTPERR
Run Filemon from SystemInternals to see if permissions are an issue
Event viewer?

hth

mnichols

Juan T. Llibre 06-13-2006 02:23 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Nah...I'm very sure this isn't 64-bit related.
We would have heard many reports by now if it was.

I know you said that : "ASP.NET is registered with IIS" but
have you run aspnet_regiis -i from the
"c:\windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.507 27" directory ?

( just to make sure... )

Also, how are you calling your ASP.NET pages ?

http://yourserver.com/some.aspx ?
http://yourserver.com/somevirtualdir/some.aspx ?
http://yourmachinename/some.aspx ?
http://yourmachinename/somevirtualdir/some.aspx ?

I mention this because you say that "when you click on the file - 404",
and you don't call aspx files by clicking on them.

Did you mean "click on a link" ?
But, if you clicked on a link...then your original aspx file *did* load.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRGVsYWh1bnR5?= 06-13-2006 02:26 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

I've checked all the permissions and everything seems fine. I'll turn on
filemon and keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

mnichols 06-13-2006 02:37 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Our client gave 'everyone' permissions on the folder which is really
wrong but it identified at least that security was an issue. The ASPNET
user has very few rights by default.

mnichols

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpYW4gRGVsYWh1bnR5?= 06-13-2006 02:41 PM

Re: ASP.NET 2.0 (64bit), IIS 6, Windows Server 2003 (64 bit)

Hi Juan,

Yes, aspnet_regiis.exe -i has been run.. numerous times by now :-)

When I said I was clicking on the files I just meant that when I turned on
directory browseing and saw the files - just to ensure that IIS itself was
seeing them - clicking on them didn't work either. I'm normally just entering
the URL.

I think it might actually be a permissions thing in IIS. I'll look into it
in more detail.